Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #1

Your Motel chain of choice....

I know this is a weird question to ask on a RV website, but sometimes you have to travel without your home-on-wheels......so what motel chain do you use when traveling, that is pet-friendly....especially without an extra charge for the furkids?

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	185
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	66933
Sargent's Fox Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
Site Team

Best Western has the most pet friendly locations of any chain I've seen based on their on-line directory. But since it is a franchise pet policies, and prices, can vary widely between locations so you definitely want to call ahead.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #3

There are some decent websites...
Pet Friendly Hotels: Find a Pet Friendly Hotel and Lodging for the Pet Friendly Family

BringFido.com - Pet Friendly Hotel & Dog Travel Directory

But I always make it a habit to call the hotel before making a reservation; just to verify they will allow two large dogs.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #4

We use Laquinta because all of their hotels are pet friendly and me being frugal like the free breakfast.
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:59 PM   #5

favorite motel

Being that I have no pets I like Comfort Inn the best. Their breakfast, bacon. bacon and more bacon, sausages, eggs, pancakes, waffles all you can eat. Oh my god,I get hungry just thinking about it
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #6

In the last few years we have taken "MISSUFIT" where we go.
In the Portland, OR area we stay at a Holiday Inn, they do require a "pet deposit" but we pony up the bucks like we would if we had a grand kid with us.

In Newport, OR. we stay at the Shilo Inn ocean front they charge the same "pet deposit" but again we pony up.

If it is important enough one must be willing to deal with the financial responsibility of traveling with a pet.

We call the places near where we need to be till one is found that allows pets and the ask about deposits, some tell us up front that there is one and how much it is.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #7

Not all hotels charge a fee, some are free, some charge a deposit that is refunded when the room is inspected prior to moving out (provided there is no damage and no doggie land mines laying around )
Some charge a fee for each day, or a fee for EACH dog, some charge a fee regardless of how many dogs per day, and some charge a fee that is for the entire stay.
I've had it all, from a hotel in TN that upfront charged me $25 deposit, but when I left three days later, and the asst. manager, said all was ok, refunded the deposit.
In a hotel in Pocatello it was $10.00 for all three nights (but that was only one dog at that time...I believe it would have been $20.00 for all three nights if both dogs had been with me).
Hotel outside of Denver was $10.00 per night, the year I picked up my trailer; a year later, same hotel was $40.00 per night fee. I went elsewhere.

So, when you call, make sure you understand the exact details....

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:10 PM   #8
DDC

We have been using Red Roof for years now because of their pet friendly policy, they are not five star but have always had good luck in staying in good clean and friendly ones.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

It's been awhile so not sure about charges but super 8, motel 6 and holiday inn are usually pet friendly. Of those super 8 and motel 6 you have to be careful. I have stayed at some really nice ones and some really shady ones.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #10

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst...

I have used Red Roof and Motel 6 mainly, because ALL their motels are pet-friendly, at no extra $$$, and my Chihuahua doesn't fit the weight limit or the dangerous breed catagory.

Both chains in my opinion, are a roof over my head, a place to clean up, and a place to sleep, nothing fancy. I can over-look decor issues and minor flaws.

But on my last trip to Florida and back, I had issues with both chains. Can you imagine being very tired, you get a room, open the door and.....wait for it.....wait for it.....there is nothing in the room! no carpet, no bed, no desk, no tv....nothing!!!

Half-way is Statesville NC, on my trip from Akron, Ohio to Flagler Beach, Florida, so I kinda plan to stay in that area.

I don't make reservations because, I travel alone.....and you know that old saying that starts out "Best laid plans.....".

Being the only driver.....what happens if I get sick and can't drive anymore....or....the weather turns bad and you have to get off the road....or.....you have car troubles.....or....there is an accident blocking the highway for hours....etc.

OR, what if I really feel good and can drive for another couple hours, making the next days trip shorter!!!

In any of the above situations, I don't want to have to get off at each exit, drive to each motel, walk inside to check out IF they allow pets, and then maybe have to find another motel, and repeat.

It is much easier for me to make a LIST of motels along my route that ARE pet-friendly, so at a quick glance, I know which city, which exit I need. I have spent hours on the internet checking out many motel chains....but everything looks good on paper.....that is why I posted my original question, to get feedback from real live people.

I guess sometimes I am too anal about being prepared, but then again, maybe not!
Old 11-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #11
B47

Not a motel chain,but Drury Hotels is pet friendly at all their locations. They don't yet go West past AZ,but I'm told they have plans to do so.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #12
DDC

Stayed at a motel 6 years ago in California and the light did not work and the carpet crunched as you walked on it our two kids went all over the room crunching, they thought it was great but I was so tired I just didn't care.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #13

We stayed at a Motel 6 when we drove to pick up our new fifth wheel and the light was busted there also. I am pretty sure they tried to Frebreeze away the smell of death in that room. We pulled in around 11:30pm and it was bad enough that my wife was up at 5am telling us it was time to leave. Definitely a bonus when you decide to travel with your own living quarters behind you!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2014 Puma 295BHSSOK
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins SRW with
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
Boetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #14

We'v had very good luck with La Quinta.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
We'v had very good luck with La Quinta.
Same here. La Quinta with no pet fees and we get a clean suite for reasonable rates.
Just stayed at Days Inn, Minneapolis with 2 dogs and they charged $10 per dog per day.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:44 PM   #16

We also stay at LaQuinta on our trips from NY to FL. Never make reservations ahead of time, but at about 3:00PM we stop at a rest area and estimate where we'll be about 5:00PM. Use the Smartphone app for LaQuinta to search for a hotel 2 hours away, call and make reservations. Heads UP - The earlier you make your reservation, the lower the price. Our last room near Brunswick GA cost $80 when reserved ahead of time. At 6:30PM I overheard the front desk quote $146 for the same type room.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #17

Looks like I need to add LaQuinta to my list of motels, with all these positive comments....thanks everyone.