Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (
-   General Community Discussions (
-   -   Why is the dinette usually on the side facing your neighbors? (

ApexBunk 02-09-2016 11:34 AM

Why is the dinette usually on the side facing your neighbors?
My husband and I have been to many RV shows over the years and only recently have some manufacturers made a rig with the dinette/window on the camp side. For the life of me I can't imagine why you would want to be eating and seeing your neighbors site versus having it on the door side where you can watch your kids, look at the peaceful site, etc.

I do know that a likely reason is weight distribution. With some of the newer RV's offering the window on the camp side, I can't imagine owning anything else. I have seen some magnificent RV's of both types, don't get me wrong but is there an advantage to having it on the neighboring side of the RV?

We have the Apex 300bhs with a huge picture window on the camp side and that allows us to watch the kid play and we feel less like a fish bowl when making dinners, getting ready for the day, and not having to close the blinds.

Just wondering what others opinions are.

spock123 02-09-2016 01:57 PM

We have three campers that way, it wasn't planned, just the way it was. My next camper will be on the door side but that's about four years from now

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Iwritecode 02-09-2016 02:01 PM

If I were to guess, I would say it's because more often than not the dinette and couch are both on a slide and the slide(s) are typically on that side. Thinking back to my last few trailers that is/was the case.

fonzie 02-09-2016 02:11 PM

I think it's so you can look and decide what you will do for supper the next day......but I second Iwritecode above....

awellis3 02-09-2016 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by ApexBunk (Post 1098601)
Just wondering what others' opinions are.

Our dinette is on the street side because it's in the slide (w/ the sofa). The galley is opposite. We didn't want a galley in a slide because we thought having plumbing, electrical and weight (stove, micro, fridge) in a moving slide is asking for trouble down the road. I like having counter space next to my stove and stoves in slides don't have any.
We don't want a slide on the curb side because it interferes with space under the awning.
So the result is we have a trailer with everything we care about more than we care about the view from a dinette we occupy maybe an hour a day.

phillyg 02-09-2016 03:54 PM

Duh, so your neighbors can see what you're eating and invite themselves over. LOL

ApexBunk 02-09-2016 03:57 PM

LOL Great responses everyone.

I love love love having the window there, and we have so much counter space on the opposite side, which inevitably is on the slide side.

MCTroy 02-09-2016 06:29 PM

The dinette in our Windjammer is in the camp side slide out. We like to sit there and have breakfast. Our summer site is by a creek and we can watch the fog roll off the water... If we don't sleep too late. And with two awnings we don't miss the space there either.

Mr. Dan 02-09-2016 07:48 PM

Our dining table and chairs are on the curb side... kitchen on the road side.

Sent (I think)

arpipeliner 02-09-2016 07:59 PM

Guess I have been lucky. Both campers I own are that way. Not like I use them a lot any way. Trying to get in a better habit now that the family is here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums