Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Windows, Awnings & Doors (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f228/)
-   -   Cleaning Automatic Awnings (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f228/cleaning-automatic-awnings-103384.html)

BernieG 03-20-2016 11:55 AM

Cleaning Automatic Awnings

I have a V- lite with an power awning and can't seem to figure out the best way to clean it... anyone have some good ideas??? or simple way.:mad:

jeff64 03-20-2016 12:06 PM

No really great way without getting wet! I've always used a bucket of warm water and some Dawn with one of those telescoping brushes( RV brush) that you can hook a hose up to. Maybe start at the lowest underside edge 1st and work your way up (don't work against gravity, stuff rolls downhill). Then bring the awning down as far as possible and do the outside surface. Special cleaners haven't seemed to be worth the extra cost and undue extra elbow grease didn't seem to pay off 2 months later. Just my take on it. Others will have others opinions I'm sure.
:trink39:

youroo 03-20-2016 12:07 PM

I use "Awesome" mist it on and wipe off with "Microfiber Pad" on a adjustable handle! Do the upper side buy rolling out "3'" at a time,deploy all the way for bottom side! Rinse Micro pad several times in clear water,depends how dirty! :signhavefun: Youroo!! :us-flag-waving: US flag on 1st row:thumbsup:

youroo 03-20-2016 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernieG (Post 1136265)
I have a V- lite with an power awning and can't seem to figure out the best way to clean it... anyone have some good ideas??? or simple way.:mad:

Sorry Bernie, :welcomesign: Youroo!! :us-flag-waving: US flag Now on 2nd Line?

awellis3 03-20-2016 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernieG (Post 1136265)

I use a brush with a long handle. Soap, water with a cup of bleach in a bucket. Fill a 2 gal. garden sprayer, pump it up, spray it on, scrub. Rinse with hose, repeat as necessary, top and underside.

itat 03-20-2016 12:56 PM

I've had great success using Hertel Plus and a Magic Eraser on the underside where the worst grime and stains happen. For the top side I use the Hertel Plus with a bucket of soap and water and scrub it with a window washing pad like this and an extendable pole.

Dometic's cleaning instructions say to use a mixture of water and bleach, soak it on, roll up the awning and let it soak for a while then rinse off. Just make sure you wet down the side of your trailer before doing this.

Scotty 03-24-2016 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itat (Post 1136325)
I've had great success using Hertel Plus and a Magic Eraser on the underside where the worst grime and stains happen. For the top side I use the Hertel Plus with a bucket of soap and water and scrub it with a window washing pad like this and an extendable pole.

Dometic's cleaning instructions say to use a mixture of water and bleach, soak it on, roll up the awning and let it soak for a while then rinse off. Just make sure you wet down the side of your trailer before doing this.

:D Exactly what I've done may times, works like a charm. Just rinse good after unrolling. I usually mix 50/50 Clorox and water. I fine that cheap bleach is just a waste, doesn't work near as well.

aceinspp 03-24-2016 11:42 AM

I found by using the awning cleaner mixed in a bucket of water open awning all the way pour solution over awning then retract awning for 15 min the extend and rinse off. This cleans both sides of awning. Only down side need to get on roof to pour solution. It does work if you have not let it get to bad. Later RJD

5picker 03-24-2016 12:00 PM

Pretty much like as suggested except I use JOMAX with my bleach & water.
Mix it in a bucket, put it in an expensive pump sprayer from Harbor Freight ($10) spray it on, roll up the awning for a few minutes, open and lightly scrub with a telescopic brush and rinse off. Jomax is made to clean as well as remove mold & mildew. Makes awnings look brand new! Seems to extend the times between cleanings too!