Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Roo | Shamrock (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f46/)
-   -   Slide out Travel bars (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f46/slide-out-travel-bars-106230.html)

Jsmerecki 04-20-2016 06:09 AM

Slide out Travel bars

Hello
Just posted in "welcome mat"
New to forest river!
My wife and I just purchased a new to us 2011 roo 21ss.
Never have we owned a rig with a slide out and from my understanding the 21 has a rather large slide out. The previous (original purchaser ) owner said there were never were any travel stabilizing bars for the slide out. There are three stickers on my camper one inside the entry door and two above the slide out that indicate there should be. Are they neccessary and where can I purchase them if they are?
Thanks for any advice

Johnny
Roo21ss
2015 ford explorer

bikendan 04-20-2016 06:12 AM

PLEASE see my post on your Welcome Mat thread.:eek:

Jsmerecki 04-20-2016 06:27 AM

I did and thank you. Any advice on the travel bars?

bikendan 04-20-2016 06:46 AM

I got two of them with my 23SS.
I use them on long trips and don't use them on short trkps.

ddavis662 04-20-2016 07:06 AM

My 2012 Rockwood 29O4SS came with them and I never once used them during the thousands of miles that I pulled it.

itat 04-20-2016 07:08 AM

All Roo's come with the slideout travel bars. I used mine every trip. They only take 2 minutes to install. I assigned that task to one of my DSs.

You may be able to order them from Forest River if the original owner didn't give them to you. The 21SS has a large, heavy slide so I'd recommend getting them.

fonzie 04-20-2016 07:21 AM

I use mine all the time, it prevents the top of the slide to rock open on rough roads from the side to side movement of the trailer.....

Slide Lock for your RV on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

Lots of thread on subject....

https://www.google.ca/search?q=slide...GoW8jgTV5pq4AQ

aceinspp 04-20-2016 07:26 AM

Had them for my 2011 V-Lite and never used them in the 5 years I traveled with the trailer. Later RJD

SEHilton79 04-20-2016 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itat (Post 1170531)
All Roo's come with the slideout travel bars. I used mine every trip. They only take 2 minutes to install. I assigned that task to one of my DSs.

You may be able to order them from Forest River if the original owner didn't give them to you. The 21SS has a large, heavy slide so I'd recommend getting them.

All Roos of a certain size come with them or ALL Roos? Brand new 21dk and I have not seen these before...

2016 Roo 21DK

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Mr Havercamp 04-20-2016 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sehiton79 (Post 1170555)
All Roos of a certain size come with them or ALL Roos? Brand new 21dk and I have not seen these before...

2016 Roo 21DK

Not all have or get them and it has nothing to do with size. It has to do with the slide system used......A 21DK does not need them because it has a Schwintek slide which locks itself in place by the motors. If you manually operate it, such as if a motor or controller craps out and you disengage it, then you would need something temporary.

bubbles 04-20-2016 08:15 AM

I believe the slide out bars are typically provided for use if there is an issue with a slide that had to be manually retracted (slide malfunction) to prevent inadvertent extending while travelling.

5er_tom 04-20-2016 08:19 AM

I have two of them that I do not need for current RV. I will sell them to you for $40 total plus shipping from NC.

SEHilton79 04-20-2016 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp (Post 1170591)
Not all have or get them and it has nothing to do with size. It has to do with the slide system used......A 21DK does not need them because it has a Schwintek slide which locks itself in place by the motors. If you manually operate it, such as if a motor or controller craps out and you disengage it, then you would need something temporary.

Ok thank you - I thought maybe ours was different but knew for sure that I didn't have anything like what was pictured in the previous post :)

2016 Roo 21DK

wharfrat48 04-20-2016 11:37 AM

Did not receive any with our 2015 Shamrock IKSS, should I be concerned?

Dave Lyon 04-20-2016 12:36 PM

They were included with my 23SS and I figured that Forest River did it for a reason......I use them every trip.

JP Camper 04-20-2016 12:48 PM

I had them in my old Flagstaff, never used them, my new 5er didn't come with them and it has 3 slides.

CNYCamper 04-20-2016 02:07 PM

Mine didn't come with them.

5er_tom 04-20-2016 02:12 PM

Towing our 2013 Rockwood 5th wheel down and around a sharp right curve, the top of the kitchen slide would tilt out about two feet!! Scary! Used two slide locks all the time after that.

itat 04-20-2016 04:50 PM

They aren't on the options sheet so every Roo should have had a pair put in at the factory. Both my Rockwoods have had a Lippert above floor electric slide and both have come with the same travel bars that fonzie provided a link to.

Drenjoey 04-20-2016 06:56 PM

They were included on my 2016 23ws.......Will I use them .....nah !!!
Previously, I had a Travelstar and a Palomino and never used them.

Dre

Mr Havercamp 04-20-2016 07:21 PM

They only come with the Roos that use the above floor slides. The 23SS, 23WS, and 21SS. They are not from Rockwood, they came with the slide from LCI. LCI recommends they be used in the user and installation manuals for the above floor system.

They are not provided or needed with any of the Schwintek systems. 23WS ward slide, 21DK, 23IKSS kitchen slide. They are also not required or provided for full height "through the frame" slides. 233S, 23 IKSS dinette, 21BD, 21SSL.

ddavis662 04-20-2016 08:47 PM

To me, it looks like there's too many cons as for pros if using them. 1 if you over tighten them you had a chance of damaging the slide out and the frame of the camper. 2 if they came loose they were either going to roll and bust my flat screen TV or possibly the big back window. To me it wasn't worth the risk

Ray and Ann 04-21-2016 06:56 AM

Bars for the slide

I'm a little surprised at the number of comments from people who say with respect to the bars/jacks for the slides, "nah, never use 'em". They're a safety factor; as some have said and one has more dramatically pointed out (about going around the curve!), they help to provide an extra retention for the slide. They came with our 8319SS, and I do use them. The big thing is to follow instructions and use them without cranking them down over-tight--because that could do damage to the slide or the wall.:crying:
And one thing I learned from experience--don't leave them in place long-term! In our trailer, when they're in use they press against the gasket that seals the extended slideout from the outside, and if they're left in place that expensive gasket can deform.:( So whenever I park our trailer in the storage lot, I loosen them and leave them sitting on top of the slide, ready for the next road trip. I only have them snugged in place when we're going to be on the road.
And of course, don't forget to disengage them before running the slide out...:eek:

itat 04-21-2016 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddavis662 (Post 1171408)
To me, it looks like there's too many cons as for pros if using them. 1 if you over tighten them you had a chance of damaging the slide out and the frame of the camper. 2 if they came loose they were either going to roll and bust my flat screen TV or possibly the big back window. To me it wasn't worth the risk

Have you ever actually installed them? The risk of them coming loose or getting over-tightened is extremely small. If I thought that was even a remote possibility I wouldn't let my teenage son install them! The only negative is the loss of the 2 minutes it takes to install them. I'm not in a hurry when I'm out with the camper.

ddavis662 04-21-2016 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itat (Post 1171665)
Have you ever actually installed them? The risk of them coming loose or getting over-tightened is extremely small. If I thought that was even a remote possibility I wouldn't let my teenage son install them! The only negative is the loss of the 2 minutes it takes to install them. I'm not in a hurry when I'm out with the camper.

Yea, I might have/maybe/ possibly used them one time.
If there had been an issue I'm sure I would have noticed it somewhere along the several thousand of miles I pulled it.
Definitely on the washboard dirt road out in a New Mexico desert.
My 2015 cougar doesn't have them, nor does my 2016 Lacrosse.
Now I remember why I had stayed away from this forum for almost 2 years :-\

Semperfi24 04-21-2016 08:36 AM

My trailer has the stickers for the bars, but it didn't come with any.

Ray and Ann 04-21-2016 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itat (Post 1171665)

x2 for this! Installing them is not difficult or time-consuming, and they do provide an improved margin of safety.:)

SEHilton79 04-21-2016 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddavis662 (Post 1171705)

Now I remember why I had stayed away from this forum for almost 2 years :-\

hope you don't leave again for another 2 years- there's been some great convos on here and helpful people. I'm sure there are some that took a look at the bars and thought them difficult- or read one case of bad news and opted to never try them.....

2016 Roo 21DK

Cowracer 04-21-2016 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itat (Post 1170531)

No sir! I know of 2 different 21ssl (same 'box' as the 21ss) that did not come with locking bars. in fact, they don't even have the "PLACE HERE" stickers on them.

Tim

rockfordroo 04-21-2016 12:42 PM

My Roo didn't have a slide, but my Mini Lite does. No bars, no stickers.

itat 04-21-2016 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowracer (Post 1171905)
No sir! I know of 2 different 21ssl (same 'box' as the 21ss) that did not come with locking bars. in fact, they don't even have the "PLACE HERE" stickers on them.

Tim

Tim, I stand corrected by both you and Mr Havercamp. Obviously they are only provided for specific types of slide outs. Thanks guys.

ddavis662, I didn't intend any offence with my comment. Sorry if it came across that way. You implied that they could fall out and cause damage. I'm just saying that's a very remote possibility. Now, if you forget they are there and you try to open the slide, that could cause some damage.

ddavis662 04-21-2016 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itat (Post 1171932)
ddavis662, I didn't intend any offence with my comment. Sorry if it came across that way. You implied that they could fall out and cause damage. I'm just saying that's a very remote possibility. Now, if you forget they are there and you try to open the slide, that could cause some damage.

Ahh, no offence! It's just my ISTP personality and trying to explain the way I do certain things gets old. Especially with coworkers on the RR :-\

"As an ISTP, your primary mode of living is focused internally, where you deal with things rationally and logically. Your secondary mode is external, where you take things in via your five senses in a literal, concrete fashion."

Nccamper 04-21-2016 06:53 PM

Late to the discussion, but our 2014 23IKSS came with neither the bars nor the 'stickers', and we have two slides.

Buckeyecmpr 04-21-2016 08:06 PM

I have one for my 2011 233s...just used it this past weekend on a 2+ hour trip. Usually use on longer trips but not locally.

bikendan 04-22-2016 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nccamper (Post 1172227)
Late to the discussion, but our 2014 23IKSS came with neither the bars nor the 'stickers', and we have two slides.

Did you read post #21, from Mr Havercamp?

Mr Havercamp 04-22-2016 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp (Post 1171323)
They only come with the Roos that use the above floor slides. The 23SS, 23WS, and 21SS. They are not from Rockwood, they came with the slide from LCI. LCI recommends they be used in the user and installation manuals for the above floor system.

They are not provided or needed with any of the Schwintek systems. 23WS ward slide, 21DK, 23IKSS kitchen slide. They are also not required or provided for full height "through the frame" slides. 233S, 23 IKSS dinette, 21BD, 21SSL.

Correction to the above. The 21SS should also not need them as it has a full height through the frame slide.

Nccamper 04-22-2016 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikendan (Post 1172487)
Did you read post #21, from Mr Havercamp?

Thanks bikendan and Mr Havercamp!

Mr Havercamp 04-22-2016 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeyecmpr (Post 1172288)
I have one for my 2011 233s...just used it this past weekend on a 2+ hour trip. Usually use on longer trips but not locally.

Did it come with the rig from the factory and do you have decals on the slide fascia from the factory telling you where to locate it?

Nccamper 04-22-2016 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nccamper (Post 1172613)
Thanks bikendan and Mr Havercamp!

And BTW, my post was not a question, but an affirmations that not all hybrid campers come with slide out bars. Again, thank you Mr Havercamp for your post!

rbq 04-22-2016 06:11 PM

Just a note to the conversation. My 2011 233S came with one slide lock. Used it until my wife got a little overpowered & overcranked it & popped the face of the slide off inside. Had to pop it back on with my brad nailer. Haven't used it since that day & haven't really noticed any difference.