Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Palomino (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f96/)
-   -   Awning tie down?? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f96/awning-tie-down-10629.html)

daverain 02-13-2011 03:59 PM

Awning tie down??

Wondering what others do to secure their electric awning when the wind is a bit gusty. On our old trailer, we used the deflapperators and tie downs at the corners from the awning rollers to the ground with the corkscrew anchors. With the new sabre, our carefree awning has no way to attach the deflappers and the electric arms dont appear strong enough to attach ground tie downs to the corners. We go to myrtle beach alot and the wind sometimes is unpredictable.
I saw someone using what looked like a giant bungee strap that went over the entire fabric.
Thanks all!

Herk7769 02-13-2011 05:30 PM

While it can bounce around quite a bit, seemingly without damage, we retract ours if wind over 15 mph is forecast.

grhodes50 02-13-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herk7769 (Post 82852)
While it can bounce around quite a bit, seemingly without damage, we retract ours if wind over 15 mph is forecast.

X2

I used the same set up with my manual awning as you described, but with the electric awning I do as Lou described.

dimurrrw 02-13-2011 05:50 PM

This is probably the giant bungee strap you are talking about.
Camco Mfg Inc - RV Awning Hold Down Strap Kit - Awning Accessories - Camping World

Big Dawg 02-13-2011 06:02 PM

I was wondering about this myself. We used one of these on our hybrid. I guess we will have to keep an eye on the electric one for the new trailer.

f150k 02-13-2011 06:02 PM

If you check out the Wildcat forum there is someone who made a tie down system. This should be the link

power awing tie down - Power Awning Tie Down System

dimurrrw 02-13-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f150k (Post 82862)
If you check out the Wildcat forum there is someone who made a tie down system. This should be the link

power awing tie down - Power Awning Tie Down System

Worth looking at. I bookmarked it for future reference. Good post!

rockwood06 02-13-2011 06:54 PM

I use deflappers and the black tie down straps with springs that screw down into the ground on both ends......Why, because i lost two awnings for being stupid, i had the tie downs in the storage compartment. Buy them and use them or it will cost you around $1,300 to have a new awning installed and that is just the beginning, if the awning ends up on the roof it can damage the roof material, skylites, a/c unit, antenna and vent covers.....Ask me how i know.:crying::crying::crying:

daverain 02-19-2011 01:40 PM

well thanks everyone, I believe I'm going to construct the supports out of pvc as in the previous wildcat post and tie down the corners with my spring loaded screw in the ground guy ropes. :)

Grammyof15 07-26-2013 05:54 PM

Full timer information

We are parked full time with a fifth wheel which has the automatic awning. I see others in the park with full tie downs and they leave their awning up 24/7 and ours goes in and out with the wind. Is there a problem with tying it down permanently???:confused: