Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Tires & Frames (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f219/)
-   -   I bought the TST507 TPMS (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f219/i-bought-the-tst507-tpms-106347.html)

Delco Bobby 04-21-2016 06:56 PM

I bought the TST507 TPMS
 
Beyond some programming hassles that my limited brain function may have caused I have the following issues. Feed back on these will be appreciated.

I don't know the upper and lower pressures that I should have programmed into the system and also the tire temperature settings. This system seems to come preprogrammed for larger trucks.

I have BF Goodrich tires on a Sunseeker. I didn't see anything on the BF Goodrich web site to help me.

I had to remove the front wheel covers to have clearance for the sensors and I am reluctant to reinstall those wheel covers. So now I have some very nice chrome lug nuts on display. Not bad.

It was a major hassle for me to get the rear sensors on the duels, especially the inner tires. There is now about 5/16 of an inch space between the two stems with the sensors attached. I am concerned that they may touch while underway. I had my valves lined up one behind the other as had been suggested in this forum. Prior to that my inner valve stems were not visible.

The sensors give me a pressure reading that does not agree with my tire pressure gauges. I have one gauge that I have been using reliably since the 70's but it is not suitable to use on duals. I have purchased a few others recently that are all within a couple of pounds of each other but about four or five pounds off from these sensors. One is a Slime and the other two are by Tire Minder, one digital and one analog.

Should I be worried about driving with the stems of the sensors so close together? :(

Do I really need to use the locking collar?

With the rear stem situation I had to leave off the metal tire stem caps which leaves me uncomfortable.:eek:

TIA,

Bobby

Teamfour 04-21-2016 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delco Bobby (Post 1172229)

I don't know the upper and lower pressures that I should have programmed into the system and also the tire temperature settings. This system seems to come preprogrammed for larger trucks.

I can only help here: watch the video online on how to set up the system. If I remember, you want the high pressure limit 5 psi above the recommended pressure found on the sidewall. Low limit 5 psi below. Tire temp is only a high limit - use the TST recommendation.

Flybob 04-21-2016 07:22 PM

If you set the tire pressure 5 PSI above the recommended cold pressure, you will have alarms. A normal tire will increase more than 5 lbs from cold to highway temps.

clr 04-21-2016 07:33 PM

On my TST507 instructions it said to set the high pressure at 20% above the recommended cold set pressure and the low pressure at 10% below. Just a FYI you must set the low pressure first prior to being able to set the high pressure. This is true if the high pressure is less than 120 PSI if I recall.

Leaving off the caps is not a very good idea. I had one tire guy say some tire vendors claim that the cap holds the pressure in the tire, and if no cap they will not cover the warranty for the tire. Seems odd to me but vendors do require the caps.

Delco Bobby 04-21-2016 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamfour (Post 1172243)
I can only help here: watch the video online on how to set up the system. If I remember, you want the high pressure limit 5 psi above the recommended pressure found on the sidewall. Low limit 5 psi below. Tire temp is only a high limit - use the TST recommendation.

I intended to watch the video again but forgot to do so.

I will go with the preset high temp reading unless someone tells me otherwise. Although it seems really high.

Delco Bobby 04-21-2016 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybob (Post 1172248)
If you set the tire pressure 5 PSI above the recommended cold pressure, you will have alarms. A normal tire will increase more than 5 lbs from cold to highway temps.

Right now I am planning to change my high pressure reading to 10 pounds over my normal. I think if I monitor the temp with use I will have a better idea as to what will avoid unnecessary alarms.

Delco Bobby 04-21-2016 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clr (Post 1172256)
On my TST507 instructions it said to set the high pressure at 20% above the recommended cold set pressure and the low pressure at 10% below. Just a FYI you must set the low pressure first prior to being able to set the high pressure. This is true if the high pressure is less than 120 PSI if I recall.

Leaving off the caps is not a very good idea. I had one tire guy say some tire vendors claim that the cap holds the pressure in the tire, and if no cap they will not cover the warranty for the tire. Seems odd to me but vendors do require the caps.

All that you said makes sense and I will read the instructions for the umpteenth time. Too many concussions takes a toll on the brain functions.

i have heard the same about the metal stem caps since I was a teenager long ago.

emt2361 04-22-2016 12:35 PM

TPS
 
I have used the system for 2 years now NO problems - as far as temp - I had to call the manufacture, as far as tire pressure - same thing ask manufacture, but there should be a sticker in your home with pressure on it, Also as a last I have all my tires filled with nitrogen - the coach rides smoother and the tire pressure does not rise as much when tires are heated from road friction.
I have a Forest River diesel pusher.
Mike J

rsdata 04-22-2016 01:19 PM

You can and will "grow into" the system as you use it you will become aware of the settings and be able to watch the temps and the pressures increase when traveling on the monitor.

Setting something other than defaults as a new user will cause you some grief I think. As you become familiar with the unit you can make changes... nothing will require re installation of the stem monitors, so the hard part is over.

My sensors seem to read 2-3# lower @ 50# then my trusty digital meter, but I now know when they read 47# my gauge will read 49-50#.

Don't make them overly complicated as a new user...

bob caldwell 04-22-2016 01:28 PM

Also, on the rear duals, the valve stems should be 180 degrees from each other....not in line


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.