Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Rockwood (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f34/)
-   -   Trailer Break-Away (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f34/trailer-break-away-108447.html)

Croaker 05-17-2016 02:11 PM

Trailer Break-Away

My Break-Away (Orange/black stripe wire) is wired to the Switched side of the main 12v. Shut-Off.

Seems incorrect ??

What if you forgot to turn your power on ?

Bama Rambler 05-17-2016 03:26 PM

The break-away switch should be wired more or less directly to the battery. Are you sue it's to the switched side and not the supply side?

If it is wired to the switch side, I'd change it to the supply side.

Croaker 05-17-2016 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The only wire on the battery side is the battery wire. The breakaway is on the switched side.

My trailer is only a few days old.

OldCoot 05-17-2016 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Croaker (Post 1197965)
The only wire on the battery side is the battery wire. The breakaway is on the switched side. My trailer is only a few days old.

Picture shows it's on an auto reset breaker. Nothing wrong with it.

Canadiancrew 05-17-2016 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldCoot (Post 1197978)
Picture shows it's on an auto reset breaker. Nothing wrong with it.

I don't see how you see that. If the big terminal on the left that has one wire that goes to the battery the other wires all go to the second terminal on the right.

OldCoot 05-17-2016 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadiancrew (Post 1198005)
I don't see how you see that. If the big terminal on the left that has one wire that goes to the battery the other wires all go to the second terminal on the right.

All I can say is it is an auto reset breaker. All trailers are supposed to/should have them.

Croaker 05-17-2016 07:51 PM

Old Coot.....it has a red handle on it....it says "ON"...."OFF" on it.....the back side of it has two copper posts.....one with a wire going to the battery....and the other with several wires stacked on it.

Looks like a Switch.....Smells like a Switch....:roflblack::trink39:

Nice boat CanadianCrew.

OldCoot 05-17-2016 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Croaker (Post 1198016)
Old Coot.....it has a red handle on it....it says "ON"...."OFF" on it.....the back side of it has two copper posts.....one with a wire going to the battery....and the other with several wires stacked on it.

Looks like a Switch.....Smells like a Switch....:roflblack::trink39:

Nice boat CanadianCrew.

Closer look and you're right, just unhook the break away wire to the other post. There should be a auto reset breaker somewhere in the line.

wmtire 05-17-2016 08:12 PM

I guess one advantage of having it on the switched side, is if a kid or dog pulls the pin out (which we have happen a lot). As long as the switch was on/disconnected while parked and not in use, then you wouldn't have to worry about the trailer brakes energizing or the breakaway switch melting. :D

I have actually seen many trailers with a disconnect switch at, or right at the positive post of the battery. Ones wired that way (either factory or afterwards) still are in the same boat as the OP, and must make sure the disconnect is connected to allow power to get to the breakaway switch, which would be downline from the battery when towing the RV.

Canadiancrew 05-17-2016 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldCoot (Post 1198024)
Closer look and you're right, just unhook the break away wire to the other post. There should be a auto reset breaker somewhere in the line.

I was about to post a rebuttal to your last post as it has a red key sticking out the other side. Anyway.:trink39: