Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Tow Vehicles, Hitches & Toads (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Yes or no.............air bags now? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/yes-or-no-air-bags-now-109371.html)

PenJoe 06-10-2016 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BandJCarm (Post 1223188)
OK, the big first trip starts Tuesday morning. I put 10 psi in the air bags around town and it's ok, fine.

I towed a car hauler with an old pickup truck on it (probably 4K pounds?) and played with the air bag settings. It did seem to matter if/when I aired up on the fly to about 35-45 psi.

One question........and I read this somewhere (?).........should I inflate the air bags to about 50 or so (???) BEFORE I hook up trailer? I can adjust via bluetooth on the fly anyway, and probably will.....so not sure why this would matter. But someone said to, I think.

??

Over the past 11 years, I have always aired the bags before putting the load on. It prevents squatting and helps the springs. After you have done it several times, you pretty much know what pressure is needed. We generally head out early in the AM and having the bags aired saves time.

wbdavey 06-10-2016 06:43 PM

Previous rig was a Ram 3500 Dually towing a 43' KZ Stoneridge toy hauler. I had a lot of bounce over even small bumps in the road. Finally figured out that rear suspension was almost, but not quite riding on the helper springs when static. Hit a little bump, truck squats and hits the helpers, bounce back up. Solution was to add air bags with an on board compressor. After hitching up I would inflate the bags until there was about an inch between the helper springs and their frame brackets. Compressor allowed adjustments on the fly. No more bounce.

Oaklevel 06-10-2016 06:51 PM

My duelly has air bags that a previous owner added. If I don't air them up when towing a heavy fiver (Either the camper or the car hauler loaded) The truck bottoms out over an uneven expansion joint or bump in the road..... smoother bumps with the air bags :D

:signhavefun:

Todouble 06-10-2016 07:40 PM

I fill mine before hitching to about 25-30 depending on what I'm varying. After I drop the load on it I see pressure around 40-45ish.

CWSWine 06-11-2016 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbdavey (Post 1223727)
Previous rig was a Ram 3500 Dually towing a 43' KZ Stoneridge toy hauler. I had a lot of bounce over even small bumps in the road. Finally figured out that rear suspension was almost, but not quite riding on the helper springs when static. Hit a little bump, truck squats and hits the helpers, bounce back up. Solution was to add air bags with an on board compressor. After hitching up I would inflate the bags until there was about an inch between the helper springs and their frame brackets. Compressor allowed adjustments on the fly. No more bounce.

X2 - I had the same problem and that is the reason I added air bags. I have a 3180 pin weight and the front help spring was about 3/8 of inch of touching. The truck was still level with or without the air bags so even with 3180 pin I didn't need them for leveling. Airbags did take care of the rebound.