Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Tow Vehicles, Hitches & Toads (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Yes or no.............air bags now? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/yes-or-no-air-bags-now-109371.html)

BandJCarm 05-29-2016 08:05 AM

Yes or no.............air bags now?
 
OK, I've talked to a lot of experienced folks on several forums, including this one. I know, the sole towing experience with this 5'er is 600 miles hauling it home! BUT.....

I have a small cache of coin right now that I might not have next year.

Since I've done everything I can think of in relation to towing (dually, TrailAir, B&W Companion).......and it still bounced.......I'm down to one binary question.....yes or no.

Is it advantageous to go ahead and install air bags NOW? (In other words, are there any negatives to them at all?)

Just wiggling around in the driveway to put it in final spot here at house, the front seemed 'light' a little.......though the whole thing was really pretty level.

If I do it, I need to do it this week........leaving June 11 for a long camping trip and (long story) time is not my friend for next few months.

Thanks in advance for your continued assistance!!

Scotty 05-29-2016 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BandJCarm (Post 1210177)
OK, I've talked to a lot of experienced folks on several forums, including this one. I know, the sole towing experience with this 5'er is 600 miles hauling it home! BUT.....

I have a small cache of coin right now that I might not have next year.

Since I've done everything I can think of in relation to towing (dually, TrailAir, B&W Companion).......and it still bounced.......I'm down to one binary question.....yes or no.

Is it advantageous to go ahead and install air bags NOW? (In other words, are there any negatives to them at all?)

Just wiggling around in the driveway to put it in final spot here at house, the front seemed 'light' a little.......though the whole thing was really pretty level.

If I do it, I need to do it this week........leaving June 11 for a long camping trip and (long story) time is not my friend for next few months.

Thanks in advance for your continued assistance!!

:) [I] have them on mine and see no negative. I used them with the 5er (14K) but really don't need them on the Hemi (8K) but will keep them anyway. Having the adjustability of the air gives you a lot of flexibility. Never experienced the bouncing, so can't say they will eliminate that.

BandJCarm 05-29-2016 08:53 AM

Thanks!

So, do you notice any adverse condition while driving the truck around town, or on highway, without the camper????

Scotty 05-29-2016 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BandJCarm (Post 1210218)
Thanks!

So, do you notice any adverse condition while driving the truck around town, or on highway, without the camper????

Not really. I keep around 5lbs in bags unloaded, in fact with the Hemi, bumper pull, I don't ever add air. With the 5er I used to run 20PSI. It's hard to tell since I installed the bags when the ruck was new so really didn't use truck that much prior to installing bags. Of course we talking apples and oranges between trucks. You have the GMC duallly and I have a Dodge Ram single wheel. From what I understand the GMC/ Chev ride way better than the older 3rd gen Dodges. I can say i had the Trimberns on a prior truck and while they worked to keep the truck from squating, they were rough unloaded if you were on a rough road. I much perfer the bags.

youroo 05-29-2016 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BandJCarm (Post 1210218)
Thanks!

So, do you notice any adverse condition while driving the truck around town, or on highway, without the camper????

With recommended "No Load PSI" the TV will perform normal! :signhavefun: Youroo!! :us-flag-waving:

BandJCarm 05-29-2016 09:10 AM

Thanks guys!

Prolly gonna try this...............

Todouble 05-29-2016 10:39 AM

I have had them on two of my trucks now. First was a manual fill second truck I did on board air compressor. Love em. Prob won't own another truck without them. My truck and 5th wheel rides like a Cadillac. There are no down sides I see to having them.

Carrier 05-29-2016 06:19 PM

If you do decide to go with air bags get a compressor kit as well. I have Firestone bags and an Airlift 72000 wireless compressor kit and no drilling, hoses or wires in the cab. Really easy install.
The manual fill that I originally had was a pain in the butt.

BandJCarm 05-29-2016 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carrier (Post 1210636)
If you do decide to go with air bags get a compressor kit as well. I have Firestone bags and an Airlift 72000 wireless compressor kit and no drilling, hoses or wires in the cab. Really easy install.
The manual fill that I originally had was a pain in the butt.

Yes, thanks. I've heard that from others too.

(I need a loan.......and haven't even camped yet except stopover on way home).....

Grisham91402 05-29-2016 06:51 PM

Get the manual fill for now and upgrade to the wireless compressor as money allows. I've have them currently on mine and will continue using them in the future.

Kenny kustom 05-29-2016 06:53 PM

Put them in.
Use manual fill. There's really no need to be able to change pressure on the road.
Like driving along and be like ... " I think it needs a couple more lbs".


2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

spock123 05-29-2016 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BandJCarm (Post 1210640)
Yes, thanks. I've heard that from others too.

(I need a loan.......and haven't even camped yet except stopover on way home).....


Just curious but what kind of tires do you have on the camper? My Cedar Creek sometimes gets a little bouncy.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

BandJCarm 05-29-2016 07:17 PM

Westlake 14ply G rated 16"......

I can't make myself spend the money to replace new tires with G614's.......but I may regret that.

PenJoe 05-29-2016 07:20 PM

We have had Firestone Ride-Rite air bags on our last three half-ton pickups.
They give excellent stability when towing and normal ride when the bags are at 10 lbs. The bags don't increase load capacity, but the do help the rear springs. In eleven years use, we have found no disadvantages.

W5CI 05-29-2016 07:57 PM

Bill did you ever go weigh your rig at a CAT scale, that will tell you your axel weights, with a Dully and a 5er it wont ride like a suv or a 1/2 ton pu

emm-dee 05-29-2016 08:10 PM

I use the wireless controlled AirLift compressor so I can adjust the pressure when unhooking or hooking up at the campsite. Can't usually find air there for manual fill. Also have the manual fill shrader fitting in the rear bumper. I occasionally hear the compressor turn on or the air release activate due to outside air temperature changes. The AirLift unit will not allow the bags to go below the recommended 5 psi so if you hear it running a lot you know there's a leak.

Biggest advantage I've seen with having the bags is major improvement in stability. They also prevent the wheel hopping that happens when you accelerate a little to quick on wet roads.

GaryHowe 05-29-2016 08:13 PM

Try Bilstein shocks to control bounce.
 
I use the AirLift ultimate 5000 air bags and Bilstein shocks on my F250.

We're pulling a Rockwood Windjamer 3029 and use an Equalizer 4 way 1200/12,000 hitch.

Rig is rock solid in all towing enviornments.

Locchamp 05-29-2016 08:55 PM

I have bags on the Chevy traverse made a good difference I only paid 139 plus 100 for install so worth it


2016 mini lite 2306
2012 Chevy traverse

Tom48 05-29-2016 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youroo (Post 1210225)
With recommended "No Load PSI" the TV will perform normal! :signhavefun: Youroo!! :us-flag-waving:

We are in a F250 6.0 liter D. With the big Lance camper we ran about 90 psi With 8000 lb bumper pull and 1000 toy in the bed we run 50. Empty I leave 10 in them

The camper could bounce a little, the trailer, w load,. Never bounces.

jgourlie 05-29-2016 09:54 PM

I say go for it there are no disadvantages

3freedom 05-29-2016 10:18 PM

Air Bags
 
Yes I would install them in your truck. I also have a 3500 Dually GMC and I installed them in the truck. With a pin weight of our toy hauler at around 3300 pounds I found they really helped.

mlatter 05-29-2016 10:19 PM

I am in the "shock absorber" camp as well. The biggest difference ever on my rig was the installation of Rancho RS9000XL shocks, set at the firmest position. Bridge joints, and railroad tracks are a joke now compared to the original shocks - no bouncing around at all. Goes over them like a car. Air bags leveled the truck, but didn't change the ride much while towing. I think quality shocks are your best bang for the buck at this point.

tstillman 05-30-2016 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BandJCarm (Post 1210218)
Thanks!

So, do you notice any adverse condition while driving the truck around town, or on highway, without the camper????

I recommend adding the bags. I drive an 2010 F350 SRW and experienced a pinion shutter that was totally eliminated with the addition of bags. All this without any ill side effects.

Good luck, of I were you I'd add them ASAP, oh yeah I did.

BandJCarm 05-31-2016 11:11 AM

The end....
They're being installed in the morning
!!!!

Thanks guys

emm-dee 05-31-2016 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstillman (Post 1211307)
I recommend adding the bags. I drive an 2010 F350 SRW and experienced a pinion shutter that was totally eliminated with the addition of bags. All this without any ill side effects.

Good luck, of I were you I'd add them ASAP, oh yeah I did.

Pinion shudder. OK, thanks. I've been looking for that definition for a long time and glad someone mentioned a logical name for the problem. I googled it to verify and found some good info about it.

The 1500 series trucks of today, especially the Gen 4 Ram models, are more like a really big SUV. They are purposed for just everyday runaround and hauling light loads. They are also very capable TT pullers if one knows how to select the correct trailer and mods/additions.

The biggest problem with the Ram 1500 is that it is way overpowered for everyday use (not hauling). If you are sitting still and slam the throttle to the floor you will be introduced to some aggressive "wheel hopping". It's even worse on wet pavement. Sometimes it feels like the rear wheels are actually jumping off the pavement. But they are getting light enough during the "hop" that you will hear multiple quick tire squeals.

When I installed the airbags I noticed a significant reduction in hopping when set to 5 psi. At 12 psi the problem completely disappears. Obviously, the airbags have done a good job of stabilizing the rear end. Seeing the operation of the bags agrees with some technical articles I read regarding pinion shudder.

Add the airbags, E-load tires and a Class V hitch (attach points on the Class V extend further forward than a Class IV) and now you have a pretty good tow vehicle.

I'm not sure about the 2500/3500 trucks (or even other brands) but I think they have at least some of the same problem. I also have them on my 2500 Ram CTD and they really smooth things out.

BandJCarm 06-06-2016 07:05 AM

First minor test in an hour. Have an old 84 chevy truck hooked up on a car hauler trailer at the farm, heading 2 hours home shortly. I will mess with the remote to see what happens.

Big test next Tuesday....first camping trip....800 mile trip.

spock123 06-06-2016 09:11 AM

I put air bags, Firestone RideRite on my Silverado 2500 and I never noticed a difference. I have a Silverado 3500 now. But it's your money and it all comes down to what you like.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

dcheatwood 06-06-2016 09:14 AM

I have airlift 5000 bags on my half ton. Much better ride with 45-55 psi. Down to 5 psi when not towing. Normal ride then.

BandJCarm 06-10-2016 09:10 AM

OK, the big first trip starts Tuesday morning. I put 10 psi in the air bags around town and it's ok, fine.

I towed a car hauler with an old pickup truck on it (probably 4K pounds?) and played with the air bag settings. It did seem to matter if/when I aired up on the fly to about 35-45 psi.

One question........and I read this somewhere (?).........should I inflate the air bags to about 50 or so (???) BEFORE I hook up trailer? I can adjust via bluetooth on the fly anyway, and probably will.....so not sure why this would matter. But someone said to, I think.

??

tstillman 06-10-2016 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BandJCarm (Post 1223188)
One question........and I read this somewhere (?).........should I inflate the air bags to about 50 or so (???) BEFORE I hook up trailer? I can adjust via bluetooth on the fly anyway, and probably will.....so not sure why this would matter. But someone said to, I think.

??

On my rig I played with it on a flat level surface to get the ride height level front to back and side to side with the load on board. When disconnected I noticed the rear bumper raise nearly 2.5 inches. I then measured the air pressure on each side. It measured at 48 Left and 50 right.

That is now my starting point to fill the bags before hooking up the 5th wheel. (Note with a load on I would assume the pressure in the airbags would be higher.) After trip is over I drop pressure to 5lbs in each which is the recommendation from the manufacturer.

Honestly I hardly notice anything is even back there and have not experienced any evidence of a rough ride in route to our destination.

Good questions. I'm sure you're going to enjoy this upgrade and happy camping. :trink39:

PenJoe 06-10-2016 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BandJCarm (Post 1223188)
OK, the big first trip starts Tuesday morning. I put 10 psi in the air bags around town and it's ok, fine.

I towed a car hauler with an old pickup truck on it (probably 4K pounds?) and played with the air bag settings. It did seem to matter if/when I aired up on the fly to about 35-45 psi.

One question........and I read this somewhere (?).........should I inflate the air bags to about 50 or so (???) BEFORE I hook up trailer? I can adjust via bluetooth on the fly anyway, and probably will.....so not sure why this would matter. But someone said to, I think.

??

Over the past 11 years, I have always aired the bags before putting the load on. It prevents squatting and helps the springs. After you have done it several times, you pretty much know what pressure is needed. We generally head out early in the AM and having the bags aired saves time.

wbdavey 06-10-2016 06:43 PM

Previous rig was a Ram 3500 Dually towing a 43' KZ Stoneridge toy hauler. I had a lot of bounce over even small bumps in the road. Finally figured out that rear suspension was almost, but not quite riding on the helper springs when static. Hit a little bump, truck squats and hits the helpers, bounce back up. Solution was to add air bags with an on board compressor. After hitching up I would inflate the bags until there was about an inch between the helper springs and their frame brackets. Compressor allowed adjustments on the fly. No more bounce.

Oaklevel 06-10-2016 06:51 PM

My duelly has air bags that a previous owner added. If I don't air them up when towing a heavy fiver (Either the camper or the car hauler loaded) The truck bottoms out over an uneven expansion joint or bump in the road..... smoother bumps with the air bags :D



:signhavefun:

Todouble 06-10-2016 07:40 PM

I fill mine before hitching to about 25-30 depending on what I'm varying. After I drop the load on it I see pressure around 40-45ish.

CWSWine 06-11-2016 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbdavey (Post 1223727)
Previous rig was a Ram 3500 Dually towing a 43' KZ Stoneridge toy hauler. I had a lot of bounce over even small bumps in the road. Finally figured out that rear suspension was almost, but not quite riding on the helper springs when static. Hit a little bump, truck squats and hits the helpers, bounce back up. Solution was to add air bags with an on board compressor. After hitching up I would inflate the bags until there was about an inch between the helper springs and their frame brackets. Compressor allowed adjustments on the fly. No more bounce.

X2 - I had the same problem and that is the reason I added air bags. I have a 3180 pin weight and the front help spring was about 3/8 of inch of touching. The truck was still level with or without the air bags so even with 3180 pin I didn't need them for leveling. Airbags did take care of the rebound.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 PM.