Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Community Discussions (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Spec's for a Deck (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/specs-for-a-deck-11038.html)

rockwood06 03-04-2011 07:00 AM

Spec's for a Deck

I have a camper on a site in Hershey/Lebanon PA area and i want to install a deck, but i need the spec's that the county requires. Is there anyone out there on the forum that lives in the area that can hook me up with a link? The campground is no help and i am from the Maryland area and i know our requirements are different. I have tried but can not get anywhere. Thanks...

tentcamper1 03-04-2011 09:58 AM

you might want to try a local lumber yard and see if they can get the info.

rockwood06 03-04-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tentcamper1 (Post 86453)
you might want to try a local lumber yard and see if they can get the info.

tentcamper, thanks for the suggestion. In doing more research i called the Court House in Labanon PA and got my answers and guess what....there are no rules, no permits, no inspections so i ask " I CAN DO WHAT I WANT WITH OUT A CONTRACTOR" the answer was YES.:trink39:

Now when the campground finds out, i am sure they will come up with something.

Now i did ask if they had information on the codes to build a deck for a homeowner and they do because the homeowner do need a permit, i requested a copy so that i could follow some kind of rules, just because i am not a resident of PA....not until i sell my house. Thanks again:thumbsup:

MotocrossCamper 03-04-2011 04:02 PM

Do you pay any taxes at your lot? I found out the hard way that if you attach the deck in any way to your camper they can charge you with property taxes because it is then considered a permanent structure. All I did was run a type of hurricane strap from the deck to the frame rail of the camper just to help stabilize the deck. But I actually paid for and owned the lot it sat on, if you rent it would probably be different. Just something to keep in mind. I have no idea what your situation is. If you need any ideas just give me a shout, I build decks for work all the time.

tentcamper1 03-04-2011 04:19 PM

glad I could help. funny how sometimes a permit is required and other times not. good idea to build to the local residential code.

realebill 03-04-2011 05:41 PM

i had to get a permit to put a deck on our trailer in Virginia. no problems doing that and i also found what was specs i had to follow to build one. i thought it was a little "overkill" for a 6' x9" deck. one thing i did was to assemble the deck with bolts and screws in case we ever have to move the trailer i can easily disassemble the deck .i didn't fasten it to the trailer,but i did set the posts 18" in the ground (no concrete)
decorsteps - My Photo Gallery

MotocrossCamper 03-04-2011 06:22 PM

Nice looking deck!

caper 03-04-2011 06:40 PM

We built our deck ground level with steps up to the TT. My deck is 8' x 22'. I built it in 4 sections 4' x 11'. If I want to change campgrounds I can move the deck first. With the deck at ground level you will not need a railing around the deck.

rockwood06 03-05-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper (Post 86493)
Do you pay any taxes at your lot? I found out the hard way that if you attach the deck in any way to your camper they can charge you with property taxes because it is then considered a permanent structure. All I did was run a type of hurricane strap from the deck to the frame rail of the camper just to help stabilize the deck. But I actually paid for and owned the lot it sat on, if you rent it would probably be different. Just something to keep in mind. I have no idea what your situation is. If you need any ideas just give me a shout, I build decks for work all the time.

MotocrossCamper, I do not pay taxes on the site, i just pay an annual site fee. All of the decks there are free standing and are not attached to anything. From what i was told from the Court House as long as the deck is no higher then 30" off of the ground then there are no requierments. I spoke to the manager at the campground this morning and she said that zoning has a different idea, I am confused why are they talking to zoning the campground is already there, i don't want zoning for a site, i just what to put on a deck on an existing site. I am suppost to hear from them on Monday and i guess i need to ask them why they are contacting zoning instead of permits which i have already done.

The_Stuff 03-05-2011 10:41 PM

good to know to keep the deck separate!