Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Wildwood (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Question on roof maintenance (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f30/question-on-roof-maintenance-112021.html)

Jack L 06-28-2016 05:53 PM

Question on roof maintenance
 
Last winter, we bought a new 2016 Wildwood BHBS and the rv dealer has been keeping it in storage for us.
We never looked at the roof covering or the slide roofs
It is in Forida and we are in NC.

Can anyone tell me what the roof is made out of and what the maintenance on it is ?

Also the same for the slide out roofs ?

Jack L

SeaDog 06-28-2016 05:56 PM

more then likely you have a rubber roof and it takes basic maintenance like cleaning and checking the chalking on things that come thru the roof. Check you manual it should tell you what you have.

Jack L 06-29-2016 04:59 AM

That doesn't help me one bit
 
The manual is in the trailer, 1000 miles from where I am and I am almost certain the roof is made of some new material, (not rubber)

I was hoping someone with the same trailer would provide me with the answers

Jack L

wahoonc 06-29-2016 05:13 AM

It will either be rubber or TPO (Thermal Polyolefin).

Regardless the maintenance is the same on an RV. I needs to be gently cleaned and inspected at least annually, twice a year isn't a bad idea. Typically some of the sealants (caulking) may need to be refreshed due to splitting. Also need to look for loose fasteners at the termination points, and the if any fasteners have backed out from the roof deck itself.

Aaron:cool:

Myrle 06-29-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack L (Post 1242622)
Last winter, we bought a new 2016 Wildwood BHBS and the rv dealer has been keeping it in storage for us.
We never looked at the roof covering or the slide roofs
It is in Forida and we are in NC.

Can anyone tell me what the roof is made out of and what the maintenance on it is ?

Also the same for the slide out roofs ?

Jack L

I had a dealer tell me Tetford roof cleaner with uv protector was the best product you can use. I clean and scrub roof 3 times a year. Looks like a brand new roof. By doing this stains are never a problem.

Larry Cole 06-29-2016 02:10 PM

I'd suggest contacting the dealer you bought if from and asking them. Right from the horses mouth, so to speak.

hillsdaletc 06-29-2016 08:00 PM

Because it is in Florida you will need to keep a close eye on it each year when you return. You will need to know for sure if you have EPDM rubber or TPO because only a few sealers will work on TPO. Dicor is not made for TPO as it says on the tube.

stantyszka 07-07-2016 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack L (Post 1243068)
The manual is in the trailer, 1000 miles from where I am and I am almost certain the roof is made of some new material, (not rubber)

I was hoping someone with the same trailer would provide me with the answers

Jack L



Google the manual, it should be there. Also FR. Has an app that has the manuals in it that you can download on an iPhone/Android.

Jack L 07-07-2016 01:41 PM

I'll repeat:
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stantyszka (Post 1251244)
Google the manual, it should be there. Also FR. Has an app that has the manuals in it that you can download on an iPhone/Android.

I was hoping that someone with the same trailer could give me the answers.

Jack L

ilmor 07-07-2016 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack L (Post 1251396)
I was hoping that someone with the same trailer could give me the answers.

Jack L

I don't have one, but found your manual on the Forest River app which states:

Inspection of roof components at least twice a year, is very important to make sure seams and seals are not cracked or worn. Proper maintenance of seals is necessary to keep moisture from entering and causing severe damage such as rot, mold or mildew. If you encounter dry, cracked or weathered seals, reseal or replace as necessary. Check with your dealer for the type of caulking required for rubber roofs and correct methods of resealing or replacing. A mild household soap solution and a soft brush can be used to clean a rubber roof.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 AM.