Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   FR3 (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f232/)
-   -   Some things I discovered today (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f232/some-things-i-discovered-today-125781.html)

AD2 01-28-2017 12:13 AM

Some things I discovered today

Today I decided I should change the oil in the engine and the gen set in my 28ds. The rig has just a touch over 3,000 mile and the generator has 10 hours on it. So I rounded up oils, filter and grease gun, went out back where I park the motor home and started to move it into my manufacturing facility where it is warm. I keep my unit plugged in to shore power and I run an electric heater inside even though it has been winterized.
I unplugged the power cable and hopped into the drivers seat and reached down to start the engine and felt a cold blast of air coming from air outlets on the dash. I was very surprised about that. As I was warming up the engine I noticed the button that illuminates when the dash environmental controls is in circulate was off. So I put it in recirculate mode hoping when the engine is off the damper stays closed cutting off the cold air.
I changed the engine oils, filter and greased the front end, putting engine oil into the filler neck with a small funnel jammed up against the bottom of the dash was discovery one. As I was twisted around trying to hold the funnel, not hit my head or spill the oil all over I happened to look up and saw the ductwork that feeds air to the defroster ducts. Discovery number two. The flexible ductwork that exits the radiator shroud and baffles connected to the chassis environmental system running to the defrosters on the dash is wire reinforced NON INSULATED flexible duct. Well no wonder the defrosters don't work and the front of the coach is either hot in the summer or cold in the fall. Those ducts are forward of the radiator where they act as nice little heat exchangers to the ambient conditions they are subject to. So the fix is to insulate the existing, replace them with insulated duct, or find something to lay over the defrosters while parked.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

BILL49 02-01-2017 01:52 PM

Interesting info.. I've had similar problems with my 2017 -30 FR3 (hot in summer /cold in winter) ..I'll have to check my ducts out when I get the rig back from maintenance shop..

AD2 02-03-2017 04:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 129119Attachment 129120Attachment 129121Attachment 129122

I received a request to post some pictures of the defrost ductwork so I popped the front grill cover open and took these. The foamed in place area's are the connections to the defrost register in the dash by the base of the windshield.

perrior 03-03-2017 02:03 PM

Hi
In the very last picture I see what I think is the blend door actuator, Can you confirm that its. I have a 2014 fr30 and I'm looking for the location the blend door and haven't been able to find it so far.
Thanks

5picker 03-03-2017 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perrior (Post 1434815)
Hi
In the very last picture I see what I think is the blend door actuator, Can you confirm that its. I have a 2014 fr30 and I'm looking for the location the blend door and haven't been able to find it so far.
Thanks

In this case (in the photo) it is actually a blend valve.
It is a servo actuated valve in the heater hose line that regulates the amount of coolant that flows through the heater core. It is actuated by the climate control temperature knob setting.

perrior 03-03-2017 02:20 PM

blend door

Thank you so much for the fast reply and I understand what you said..
I'll continue to search for what I am looking for as my engine heater blows warm air and the temp control has no effect on changing the temp.. All of my searches have been tried on blend door actuator so maybe I should try temperature door actuator..

Thanks again
Bob