Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Tips and Tricks (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f88/)
-   -   Travel with propane on? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f88/travel-with-propane-on-12671.html)

riwdfw 05-05-2011 08:05 AM

Travel with propane on?

:confused: I'm looking for everyones opinion on traveling with the propane on. I've had different service men tell me yes and then some no. Not sure what to do. It would be nice if you can to keep refridge cold but would rather be safe then sorry. Help

MtnGuy 05-05-2011 08:11 AM

There are numerous discussions on this issue on other RV websites, as well as here.....this being 1 of the most recent: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-9942-3.html

After reading the thread, it will be your personal choice whether you want to do that.

BTW, I travel with my propane on.

LadyWindrider 05-05-2011 08:29 AM

Oh no, not again.........

KyDan 05-05-2011 08:36 AM

It's a personal call.
Some swear it's dangerous.
Some swear it's not.
I run with mine on.
The fridge is made to run on LP when on the road
as well as when camping without electricity.
I like my beer to be cold so I leave LP on.
:trink39:

Let the battle er I mean "discussion" begin!!

riwdfw 05-05-2011 08:47 AM

Sorry, I guess the ones that have been on here for awhile have gone through this already. I'm trying to learn how to get around on here to find things but not doing a very good job. I have a hard time trying to figure out how to post.

MtnGuy 05-05-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riwdfw (Post 101443)
Sorry, I guess the ones that have been on here for awhile have gone through this already. I'm trying to learn how to get around on here to find things but not doing a very good job. I have a hard time trying to figure out how to post.

Not a problem....it takes a little getting used to.

Rugged Brown 05-05-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windrider (Post 101437)
Oh no, not again.........

If you don't like the subject matter, don't read it. There are new forum members everyday looking for information and ask valid questions, just as you probably did when you joined. Besides the fact new members may bring a broader range of information to the forum. This annoys me to no end when senior members go "oh hum, haven't we discussed this already". I, for one, read most topics and if it's a repeat subject, it just means more information. Isn't that what this forum's intended purpose is?

I travel with my propane on.

Herk7769 05-05-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riwdfw (Post 101443)

There is a green bar with menu picks on it right below the "Splash screen" but above the Ad.

If it starts with "PORTAL" "User CP" etc and ends with "LOG OUT"; it is the right one.

Thrid from end is "SEARCH" Use this search box and use only one or at most two words.

NOTE: The green BOX search feature that has "radio buttons" for FRF and Google does not work as well for me.

Big Dawg 05-05-2011 09:20 AM

I am with herk7769, the search at the top of the page has helped me find all kinds of information here. To answer your question, I run with my propane on also.

BobandArlene 05-05-2011 09:39 AM

I travel with it on. for the fridge.

Once while travelling in cold weather, I stopped at least two hours before I was done driving for the day, kicked on the furnace, and when I got to my destination (which had no power hookups), rig was toasty and warm inside.

dretired 05-05-2011 09:44 AM

Propane on ?

If you are going camping and wanting your fridge to be cold and ready to use at the campsite , wouldnt you want it ON for the trip to camp ?? I am lucky that i have my TT in the driveway at home. We get the fridge cold a day before we leave , then load it just before departing...

photog 05-05-2011 10:30 AM

We run with propane on but BEFORE pulling into a gas station shut the fridge and or whatever else is running on propane off.

beanpup 05-05-2011 10:42 AM

we are new to tt ownership...we have taken one trip in the new camper....we did not plug our unit in until thurs. eve. and left on fri. eve. ...just know that if you don't prepare fridge in advance it takes at least 24 hours to cool to safe temp (or at least ours did and it was the same in our pop up) we did not use propane while in tow with the pop up (we were carrying most things in a cooler due to small fridge) but did on this last trip with the tt and it did fine and kept things cold...hope this helps :)

cfsoistman 05-05-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dretired (Post 101474)
If you are going camping and wanting your fridge to be cold and ready to use at the campsite , wouldnt you want it ON for the trip to camp ?? I am lucky that i have my TT in the driveway at home. We get the fridge cold a day before we leave , then load it just before departing...

I wouldn't say one way is any better than another but if you turn on the fridge the day before to get it cold but wait until just before you leave to load it, you're basically defeating the purpose of starting it up the day before. depending on whether or not the items being placed in are already cold. When you load it you're now allowing the heat in and making it run on the propane for long period of time to cool it back down. We load the day before and then everything is cooled to the same temperture as the fridge before we leave. It also helps maintain that temperature for a longer time so the propane doesn't need to be used as much. Everyone has their own way of doing things. Just another idea to float out there.:signhavefun:

flyrotor 05-05-2011 02:08 PM

It's ok to run the propane while driving, good points made here include shut down while fueling. There are places where you are required to shut the propane off while driving such as long tunnels. Personally we keep the fridge on most the time at home during camping season to keep condiments , pop and beer in there.

tentcamper1 05-05-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rugged Brown (Post 101449)
If you don't like the subject matter, don't read it. There are new forum members everyday looking for information and ask valid questions, just as you probably did when you joined. Besides the fact new members may bring a broader range of information to the forum. This annoys me to no end when senior members go "oh hum, haven't we discussed this already". I, for one, read most topics and if it's a repeat subject, it just means more information. Isn't that what this forum's intended purpose is?

I travel with my propane on.

x2 and I also travel with my propane on.

Bear 05-05-2011 03:01 PM

Traveled with the propane on and fridge running for 20 years, 6 different units from truck campers to what I have now and 10s of thousands of miles, always had cold beer in the fridge when I got to where I was going.

campfan 05-05-2011 03:29 PM

thanks for the 411- never thought about that. will give a try nex trip out.

fivecodys 05-05-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photog (Post 101486)
We run with propane on but BEFORE pulling into a gas station shut the fridge and or whatever else is running on propane off.

Same here.

Bill

airplane66 05-05-2011 06:16 PM

yes I do

I like my beer cold too. If your LP system is safe why you are parked its safe while you are travelling down the road.