Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   FR3 (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f232/)
-   -   Generator not powering coach (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f232/generator-not-powering-coach-130615.html)

schuttinc 04-07-2017 09:20 AM

Generator not powering coach

We started the generator at a rest stop to power the air conditioner. The thermostat had power as evidenced by the lights displayed but the AC would not kick on. We also noticed that the microwave had no power (no display lights). When we stopped for the night and connected to shore power, everything worked fine. Anyone have any ideas on what might have caused this? We've successfully used both AC and microwave with the generator in the past.

northstar1960 04-07-2017 09:25 AM

could be a bad transfer switch

KansasFR3 04-07-2017 09:31 AM

Thermostat is 12v, so that just tells you that the batteries are good. Have you check the circuit breaker within the generator. Just take the door off and I think it was just inside. We don't have a transfer switch, so that not an issue.

welder 04-07-2017 09:49 AM

Are you plugged into the generator outlet?

rvpezzano 04-07-2017 12:31 PM

Check and see if any thing is ON like the AC. Turn the generator off and check the AC stuff especially the Roof air. The generator will not work if there's a load when it is started.

GWTimmons 04-07-2017 12:45 PM

Make sure your hook up cable is plugged in the the receptacle that feeds the electrical system when generator is on. Also, make sure switch on generator is in right position. Lastly, go through flashing code procedure...located on generator start switch. We had this happen to us, and the dealer service guy walked me thru it. It turned out to be an internal electrical short.

510Rick 04-07-2017 01:06 PM

What type of generator and how long has it been sitting . Sometimes they loose there magnetic field (may not be thr right term ) . I've had to hook an electric drill up to my old one and squeeze the trigger and turn the drill motor to renergize the generator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r3hoxMryEI

jeepthng 04-07-2017 04:17 PM

We had the same thing about halfway into our first year of owning our 2016 Sunseeker. Was the transfer switch. It is automatic, but wasnt working properly. The generator was fine.

Robertpaul 04-07-2017 06:25 PM

Like welder states, are you plugged into the generator plug. My rv shore line connects to an input source plug which is powered by the generator.

edm 04-07-2017 07:29 PM

We had the same problem with our fr3 a couple of years ago. What I found was a burned up wirenut on the natural line. The location was in the water proof junction box at the front of the generator. Check all connections in that box.

Good luck .

schuttinc 04-08-2017 11:42 AM

We checked this morning and we were plugged into the generator plug but the transfer switch on the generator was off. Not sure how that happened but we turned it on and all is well. Thanks for your prompt responses and good advice!

ScottBrownstein 04-08-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schuttinc (Post 1469636)
We checked this morning and we were plugged into the generator plug but the transfer switch on the generator was off. Not sure how that happened but we turned it on and all is well. Thanks for your prompt responses and good advice!

Glad you got it solved. Not being a stickler on grammar or language, to make it easier if and when you have problems again (although you should now be fine) that is not a transfer switch that you turned on, it is the circuit breaker for the generator output. If in the future you call someone for help in a pinch and you tell them that you checked the "generator transfer switch," they will get the totally wrong picture of what you have.

On an FR3, the owner is the generator transfer switch!!!!

northstar1960 04-08-2017 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KansasFR3 (Post 1468451)
Thermostat is 12v, so that just tells you that the batteries are good. Have you check the circuit breaker within the generator. Just take the door off and I think it was just inside. We don't have a transfer switch, so that not an issue.

If you have to plug your power cord into the generator then no you won't have a transfer switch . if you don't have to plug in your power cord to the gen set then you do have a transfer switch .

DavidShifflett 04-09-2017 10:14 AM

FR3 Generator

I have an FR3 with a 4K generator. It trips when I have the AC on and put on the microwave - it can't handle the load. It trips at the generator, There is a switch at the Generator. Once you take off the pannel, it is at the center front, towards the bottom. Once flipped it will work again. It all works well with shore power.