Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Mercedes Benz Sprinter Chassis (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f242/)
-   -   Magnadyne M4-LCD screen buttons (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f242/magnadyne-m4-lcd-screen-buttons-141980.html)

sclod 08-14-2017 08:59 PM

Magnadyne M4-LCD screen buttons

The screen buttons (the "soft" buttons on the screen) of my Magnadyne M4-LCD unit often times don't work. I"m talking about the Home, Find Address, etc. buttons. This happens on all modes (GPS, CD, TV, radio, etc.). I push the buttons and nothing happens. Sometimes the buttons work. I have tried resetting the unit and calibrating the screen (as described in the operations manual) but have no luck fixing the problem. Then the next day, for no apparent reason, the buttons work. Then the day after they don't work. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve
2014 Forest River Solera

Mikegjax 08-15-2017 05:36 AM

Have you tried cleaning the screen?

sclod 08-15-2017 06:44 PM

Good idea. Unfortunately it didn't work. Thanks though.

Mikegjax 08-15-2017 07:37 PM

I believe there is a touch sensitivity adjustment on the setting menu. Don't know if that will help but worth a try.

Mikegjax 08-16-2017 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikegjax (Post 1595020)
I believe there is a touch sensitivity adjustment on the setting menu. Don't know if that will help but worth a try.

Sorry, re-read you post and you did do the calibration.
You might try updating your firmware from Navextra's website.

https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal/support

I have updated mine in the past and it did help with minor problem I was having.

sclod 08-16-2017 11:17 AM

Thanks. I will try updating my firmware when I get home.

clhjsh 08-16-2017 11:46 AM

We have the same issue getting some of the touch buttons to work particularly the ones at the corners of the screen. I will take my thumb and rub it on my pants to warm it up and that seems to help.

conceptumator 08-16-2017 01:29 PM

I know it doesn't help, but the Magnadyne unit is a piece of junk. I use it only for occasional XM radio and for the cameras. Bought a Garmin RV760 and love it!

ckabrahamson 08-16-2017 01:53 PM

I hated my magnadyne as well. Went through three of them in the first four seasons we owned the coach. Just replaced mine with a pioneer AVIC-8200. Sooooo much better.

But, my magnadyne was working all the way when I removed it. If anyone wants to replace theirs I'd be happy to ship it to you.

Carl

Mikegjax 08-16-2017 05:05 PM

I have been using my Magnadyne for 4 years. The only problem I've had was early on with the time. Updated the firmware and it has been working flawlessly ever since.

Do other units have some better features? Maybe they do, but mine is more accurate than my Garmin in my wife's car.

Easily not worth replacing it as long as it keeps going. That's just me.

sclod 08-16-2017 07:48 PM

Thanks to everyone. I'm going to try the thumbwarming also. Magnadyne support said my lcd was probably going bad. At $200 for the repair, that is a non-starter. I may end up having to replace the unit, so opinions on other units are appreciated.

Wolverine 1945 08-17-2017 06:12 AM

Not sure if it would help,,,
But have you tried a Style Pen ???
Less finger prints !!!

sclod 08-17-2017 08:33 PM

I haven't tried a style pen but I will ehen I get home. Thanks.

sclod 09-07-2017 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckabrahamson (Post 1595645)
I hated my magnadyne as well. Went through three of them in the first four seasons we owned the coach. Just replaced mine with a pioneer AVIC-8200. Sooooo much better.

But, my magnadyne was working all the way when I removed it. If anyone wants to replace theirs I'd be happy to ship it to you.

Carl

Carl--If you still have your Magnadyne unit, I would love to have it. I'm traveling now but could let you know when I get home (maybe around the first of October). I would, of course, reimburse you for the shipping costs. Let me know.
Steve

ckabrahamson 09-07-2017 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sclod (Post 1617800)
Carl--If you still have your Magnadyne unit, I would love to have it. I'm traveling now but could let you know when I get home (maybe around the first of October). I would, of course, reimburse you for the shipping costs. Let me know.
Steve

Steve:

Sorry but someone already claimed it shortly after the post...

You mentioned possibly replacing your unit with another - one word of caution, the display on the M4LCD is a double-DIN, but the case behind it is not - it's much smaller. So, if you want to replace it, you're going to need to cut the dashboard opening bigger.

In my opinion, it was well worth it to upgrade the unit. I went with the Pioneer AVIC-7200. The Apple Car Play was worth it all by itself. Used it on a long trip after installation, and it worked flawlessly. Never had a problem with Bluetooth pairing my phone,, the speakerphone is superb, and the speech recognition based texting was very good picking up my voice, and typing accurately.

Hope you get everything working!

Carl

Wolverine 1945 09-10-2017 09:02 AM

We went to Waterloo State Park in Chelsea MI this week,,, one of the largest State parks in Michigan,,, Magnadyne could not find it ???

Gumpster808 09-14-2017 09:10 AM

Ok so on the magnadyne-anyone know how to do a full reset? Did the menu options and still can't get gps to open when we select it from the menu. GPS antenna on dash so it is available- or should be.

Bought our coach used so maybe we need to do something to get unit registered to us?

Radio and plating movies works fine but no luck with gps.....

JLeising 09-14-2017 09:18 AM

When I still had the Magnadyne, I seem to remember a "paper clip reset hole" in the lower left corner of the faceplate. Remember keeping an opened paper clip in the ash tray for periodic resets for a while...

Wolverine 1945 09-14-2017 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumpster808 (Post 1623093)
Ok so on the magnadyne-anyone know how to do a full reset? Did the menu options and still can't get gps to open when we select it from the menu. GPS antenna on dash so it is available- or should be.

Bought our coach used so maybe we need to do something to get unit registered to us?

Radio and plating movies works fine but no luck with gps.....

Do you have the manual ???
Or can you download one ???
:trink39:

Gumpster808 09-14-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 (Post 1623114)
Do you have the manual ???

Or can you download one ???

:trink39:

Yep been working through that. Pulled down PDF copy to my phone.

Even did the reset from menus as well as the button on lower left corner. Still no beep when selecting gps from the menu. When I click the power button to go to gps it does beep but stays on radio.

May have to call magnadyne?