Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   FR3 (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f232/)
-   -   oil change (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f232/oil-change-145713.html)

OldGunny 10-03-2017 11:37 AM

oil change

How many of yall out there prefer to do it yourself?

Gatch 10-03-2017 01:09 PM

I do. It is an easy job and saves money.

Kevin & Judy 10-03-2017 01:44 PM

KansasFR3 10-03-2017 02:58 PM

X3. And for me, at 6-7mpg, a 60 mile round trip will cost an additional $25 in fuel...Rather buy myself $25 of beer on the way home to change the oil in the RV. :-)

Gumpster808 10-03-2017 03:08 PM

Since I still have drive train warranty I did take to a ford truck maintenance center to get one done. Lubed the whole chassis, worked with me in getting replacement valve stems and extensions setup for the TST monitors etc etc and only charged me for oil change plus got I think 6 months of extra roadside assistance even for flat.

Did price out to about $100 with fuel etc but based on how well they went over everything on the cassis was worth it to me.

GT Traveler 10-03-2017 09:40 PM

Oil Change

I always prefer to do my own at home or on the road. I want to see what the condition of the coach is that I am driving.

OldGunny 10-04-2017 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KansasFR3 (Post 1639001)
X3. Rather buy myself $25 of beer on the way home to change the oil in the RV. :-)

You and I think alike! :trink39:

babock 10-04-2017 12:14 AM

I personally always do my own work on all my vehicles including my boats.

How many dealers do you think actually use a torque wrench on the oil drain plug? I do!

Carl17 10-05-2017 06:52 AM

Oil change

Yes I do my own oil change . That gives me a chance to look over the hole coach . Plus than I know It gets the right Oil , some times i think dealers put in the cheap stuff and charge you for the most expenses stuff. :thumbsup:

OldGunny 10-05-2017 11:27 AM

I rekin that just saved me about $100. Time to head to the beer store!

67L48 10-05-2017 11:51 AM

Depends on my vehicle. I typically change my own oil. But, one of my vehicles has a horizontally mounted filter. I changed that about 4 times and could never figure out how to not make a huge mess. I now pay the extra $10 for a service center to change it.

In 2001, changing my own oil would save me 50%. Now? Not nearly as much. For my F150, I need 6 quarts and a filter. That usually runs between $20-30, depending on sales. Jiffy Lube and the others have sales that run $25-35. So, depending on the timing and my patience, I'm not saving a ton these days to DIY.

I don't know how that compares to motorhomes or diesels, which typically take 3x the volume of oil.

babock 10-05-2017 12:41 PM

I would never let a place like Jiffy Lube touch a vehicle of mine. Stripped oil drain plugs...loose oil filters...list goes on of problems people have had with that place.

LBJ 11-16-2017 02:09 PM

I do my own oil changes. The way I see it I can do the oil change in less time and for less money than taking it somewhere. Plus, I know exactly what oil and filter is going in to my vehicles.

Brian

GM_LA 11-17-2017 10:36 PM

As long as I'm am able I change my own. [emoji106]

mwdilday 11-17-2017 10:42 PM

I take mine to the dealer for the F-350.

cnower 11-17-2017 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babock (Post 1640535)
I would never let a place like Jiffy Lube touch a vehicle of mine. Stripped oil drain plugs...loose oil filters...list goes on of problems people have had with that place.

I would think those stories could happen at many places. I know a guy who has gone to jiffy lubes and 9.99 type places his whole life in the states and Canada and never had a problem. I choose to do mine however I look at it like this.... I know a guy who does not know the difference between a regular and a phillips bought a new vehicle asked em if it would void warranty if he serviced it himself, he changes oil himself after purchase and has not had problems how I dont know. I also dont know how alot of people that do it themselves are able to yet it is not rocket science. How bad can a "jiffy lube" be if they change oil all day anyway.

jvalich 11-18-2017 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnower (Post 1672784)
I would think those stories could happen at many places. I know a guy who has gone to jiffy lubes and 9.99 type places his whole life in the states and Canada and never had a problem. I choose to do mine however I look at it like this.... I know a guy who does not know the difference between a regular and a phillips bought a new vehicle asked em if it would void warranty if he serviced it himself, he changes oil himself after purchase and has not had problems how I dont know. I also dont know how alot of people that do it themselves are able to yet it is not rocket science. How bad can a "jiffy lube" be if they change oil all day anyway.

Had an employee take their pickup to the local shop for an oil change. Came to work the next morning to find the fire department at my store putting out the fire. They left a rag on top of the motor after they replaced the oil cap.

Change my own thanks.... I double and triple check what I do, teenager working for minimum wage at Jiffy Lube, 5 min Oil Change, America's Oil Change, etc, etc, could careless.

Biker 11-18-2017 08:45 AM

I do my own in the drive. Truck, car, scooter, sxs, skidsteer, backhoe. Done right and time allowed to look it over for other items that need to be taken care off.
Old oil goes to my local car repair guy.