Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Cedar Creek (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   Warning to all owners of Lippert Frames on 5th wheel (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f23/warning-to-all-owners-of-lippert-frames-on-5th-wheel-149426.html)

Krismh 12-07-2017 12:40 PM

Warning to all owners of Lippert Frames on 5th wheel

If you buy a Cedar Creek fifth wheel you better hope it doesn’t have a Lippert Frame because we have a Lippert frame and the front nose cap over king pin is ripping apart and Lippert says that is with in “normal frame flex perimeters”.
You can literally watch the kingpin pop up and down inside the nose cone of the trailer when towing down the road and that is considered acceptable. The trailer is no longer a sealed unit so water can get in and its not fixable because of the flex but that is considered OK. Cedar Creek at this point seems to be siding with Lippert on this so we appear to be screwed at this point. No one likes to answer phone at Cedar Creek and it appears stand behind their product. Can’t trade it in as dealer would like this addressed first but how can we address it when according to Lippert that its perfectly acceptable. It’s not like we can hide it it’s blatantly obvious to anyone who looks at trailer that something is wrong with it. We have been told by a reputable RV repair place that this trailer has a catastrophic failure somewhere in the frame where the lower and upper fifth wheel come together but not sure where exactly without tearing trailer apart. They said and I quote “your trailer can literally ripe apart at any time it could be today or next year but it will rip apart”. But according to Lippert that’s OK, but guess what they won’t put it in writing and the dealer has to check and see if what little they got out of Cedar Creek they can forward to us because “they work for Cedar Creek”. So we still owe 8 more years on a trailer we bought new and can’t really use due to the fact we can’t trust it to not break apart on us. So much for Cedar Creek and Lippert being good companies. Buyer beware all these companies want is your money and they don’t care about your product at all after it leaves their building.

5picker 12-07-2017 12:58 PM

WOW... first post. I will still say welcome!
It was hard to read your complaint without paragraphs and punctuation.

It seems you are speculating about why the body flexes over the pin box because I didn't read where anyone actually removed any body components and verified the frame is "ripping apart."

I can assure you, of the eight 5th wheels we've owned previously, along with our current Flagstaff, I could look out the back window and see the body flexing around the king pin box area. None had catastrophic frame failure.

You didn't mention anything about the year of your unit or mileage but if you have something else going on that (your words)... "it’s blatantly obvious to anyone who looks at trailer that something is wrong with it"... then you need to document these obvious issues and begin discussion with your selling dealer and go up the ladder from there.

JLeising 12-07-2017 01:16 PM

If they (or anyone) won't document something you need documentation for, you can. Detail EVERY interaction - type (verbal, e-mail, letter, phone call, fax, ...), date and time, name and position, etc. Detail communication - attach a copy if available. Do so as exactly as you can. Maintain extemporaneous written notes of all future communications (recreate from memory past communications - state so in the record). Send registered mail, return receipt. Document each following communication and send as follow up update the same way - registered, return receipt.
I've had good luck getting responses with this method. Recipient may want to get his/her perspective of the communication "on the record".

Oaklevel 12-07-2017 01:32 PM

Sorry to hear about your issues........

How old is your trailer, what year?????? Lippert Frames are very common in the RV world.

youroo 12-07-2017 02:02 PM

Boy between your selling Dealer,the reputable RV repair place,Lippert,CC Division of F/R,and a Dealer who will not take it in on Trade,this whole thing "Don't Pass the Smell Test"! Was it ever Wrecked? :confused: Youroo!! :us-flag-waving: PS I think this might be a "Drive Buy"!

F.R.O.G. 12-07-2017 02:33 PM

With whom have you spoken at Cedar Creek?

5picker 12-07-2017 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. (Post 1683652)
With whom have you spoken at Cedar Creek?

Thank you FROG Bob for stepping in.

To the OP... here is your opportunity to have someone listen to/help you.

Oaklevel 12-07-2017 03:15 PM

:signhavefun:

SuicideSaints 12-07-2017 03:36 PM

It looks like you got some offers for help, do you have any pics or concrete evidence? Or is it just speculation at this point with flex? I see my KP flexing as I drive down the road, as much as what seems like inches but all is well...

05CrewDually 12-07-2017 03:39 PM

I hope you're within 2 years from the build date. As a Wildcat/Lippert frame owner I dealt with the repair of broken crossmembers around the pinbox on my own time and dime. They said out of warranty.
Some flex is acceptable but mine was so bad it moved ALOT just lowering it on the hitch. The only way to fully inspect it is to take down the under sheathing around the pinbox.
Best of luck.