Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Community Discussions (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   How long until you trade/sell ? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/how-long-until-you-trade-sell-153045.html)

MT Biker 02-12-2018 04:48 PM

How long until you trade/sell ?

We are heading into our third season of being weekend warriors in the camping game. Our travel trailer (Micro Lite 23FB) has been perfect for us and we have really enjoyed it Camping almost 100 nights in our first two seasons.
The other thing we really enjoy is that our trailer is paid for so in order for me to even consider trading / selling to get a new model the deal had better be spectacular.
So in saying that, what do you consider is the best time start shopping for a new RV that will give you the best return on your investment? I know trailers depreciate fast, just don’t know how fast.
I am thinking the 5-year mark is when we will make our move, But there are a lot of nice new models out now that I think we could be happy with!

Schvarak 02-12-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT Biker (Post 1729888)
We are heading into our third season of being weekend warriors in the camping game. Our travel trailer (Micro Lite 23FB) has been perfect for us and we have really enjoyed it Camping almost 100 nights in our first two seasons.
The other thing we really enjoy is that our trailer is paid for so in order for me to even consider trading / selling to get a new model the deal had better be spectacular.
So in saying that, what do you consider is the best time start shopping for a new RV that will give you the best return on your investment? I know trailers depreciate fast, just donít know how fast.
I am thinking the 5-year mark is when we will make our move, But there are a lot of nice new models out now that I think we could be happy with!

I bought my tt for around $23,000 in 2009. Sold it in Aug 2016 for 12,500 net10,500 after paying the dealer who helped us with the sale. Bought my MH about a month later for 45,000 was 56,000 value according to the tax folks here in SC

bikendan 02-12-2018 07:13 PM

For us, fall is the best shopping time. Summer is over and dealers want to get rid of inventory before winter hits(since sales are at their lowest) and to make room for the new year models.

But we NEVER do trade-ins, since only the dealer wins.

MT Biker 02-12-2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikendan (Post 1730020)
For us, fall is the best shopping time. Summer is over and dealers want to get rid of inventory before winter hits(since sales are at their lowest) and to make room for the new year models.

But we NEVER do trade-ins, since only the dealer wins.

What is your average length of time you hang on to your RV before you decide to go shopping?

bikendan 02-12-2018 07:55 PM

No set time.
We are always shopping but we don't buy unless our old RV no longer suits our current needs.
We kept our last RV 10 years until we retired and it no longer fit our retired style of camping.

itat 02-12-2018 08:01 PM

We’ve bought 3 campers - all purchased used. Saves a lot of money but you need to be cautious and very picky. Had the Coleman popup for about 5 summers (rented the same model for a week/year the 2 previous summers), sold it privately and bought the Roo. Had the Roo for 2 summers and sold it privately. Then bought our current TT and this will be our 4th summer with it. The only things I’d want if we replaced it would be a bed slide for more space in the bedroom and recliner chairs in addition to the sofa. I’d like to move to a 5th wheel when I retire in 4 years, but DW loves all the storage in our TT and its hard to find that kind of inside storage in anything under 32’ long so we may keep it for quite a while.

ronheater70 02-12-2018 08:36 PM

We bought a 2017 shasta flyte 265 bunkhouse in september of 2016. We just traded it 2 weeks ago for a 2018 Cherokee Limited 304 bh. We have kids, and simply didn't like the floorpan of the shasta after a year although it was mostly problem free.

If the new camper stays relatively trouble free, we will keep it for 6-8 years probably before moving on.

Wilco 02-12-2018 08:37 PM

I have found the best time to buy is late Fall or Winter because dealers do not want to carry over last years models.

Best time to sell is spring when other Rv owners are looking to upgrade.

I have purchased Rvs in the fall and sold my old Rv in the following spring. Alternately you could sell your Rv in the spring and go the summer without an Rv and purchase in the fall.

larryo 02-13-2018 06:42 AM

The trailer has been perfect for you, you're really enjoying it and it's paid for....why do you need a new trailer? We have a 2011 Puma 295bhk and we love it. When the grand-kids quit coming with us we will probably convert the rear bedroom into a living room.

RACarvalho 02-13-2018 06:54 AM

We just traded last fall.
Our idea is to use it until it doesn't fit the bill anymore.
The Roo we had was really nice and we kept it for almost two years.
Our family of 5 overgrew it since my boys are really tall so we sold it.
Now with the 2909 we expect to keep it for the next 10 years (at least) for we will have two kids in college soon so we will be really tight on money and for a long time.... :rolleyes:
I agree with the timing: fall, according with our experience, seems to put some pressure on the dealers to make a deal.