Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Tech and Repair (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f110/)
-   -   Disconnect Switch Wiring ? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f110/disconnect-switch-wiring-15499.html)

Steve09 08-08-2011 10:13 PM

Disconnect Switch Wiring ?

Hello, I couldn't find any answer on which wire Red or White to install my Disconnect Switch on. Some people say it don't matter. I thought the white (ground) so it wouldn't cause any sparks, thanks

Bill_C 08-08-2011 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve09 (Post 124004)
Hello, I couldn't find any answer on which wire Red or White to install my Disconnect Switch on. Some people say it don't matter. I thought the white (ground) so it wouldn't cause any sparks, thanks

You thought right !

KyDan 08-09-2011 08:09 AM

If you're talking about a battery disconnect switch- it should be placed in the
Plus wire.
You can only tell which is the plus wire by tracing it to the battery and visually seeing
which post it connects to. Color might be black, white, red or some other color.
There SHOULD be a standard but there isn't.
You can also tell which is plus by use of a meter. EVERYONE who own an RV needs
a little digital meter for just this kind of thing.

Yes the battery will be disconnected by switching either wire off and on but switches
are normally placed in the positive lead.

dlhoppe 08-09-2011 08:52 AM

...and there would be no difference in the possibility of "sparks".

Bill_C 08-09-2011 08:55 AM

[QUOTE=KyDan;124059]If you're talking about a battery disconnect switch- it should be placed in the
Plus wire. /QUOTE]

Actually, the negative wire is used for the battery disconnect switch. All disconnect switches in heavy equipment is wired to disconnect the negative wire, not the positive. As the original poster mentioned, this will prevent the contacts in the switch from arcing. Same as disconnecting a cable from your vehicle battery. The negative cable is always the last to connect. Why? If you are connecting your positive post and accidentally touch your wrench to ground you won't get a short while the negative is disconnected. Touch your wrench to ground while connecting the negative terminal (with positive connected) and nothing happens.

jimh 08-09-2011 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
see if this helps. this is for a cardinal and shows the disconnect on the pos wire. the disconnect separates the converter from the bat.

KyDan 08-09-2011 09:41 AM

If you're talking about connecting the leads to a battery sure go
ahead and hook up the negative last.

We're talking about RV battery disconnect switches and I stand by my
statement. The battery disconnect switch goes in the positive wire.

Bill_C 08-09-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyDan (Post 124085)
If you're talking about connecting the leads to a battery sure go
ahead and hook up the negative last.

We're talking about RV battery disconnect switches and I stand by my
statement. The battery disconnect switch goes in the positive wire.

To each his own. We all have our own reasons "to do, or not to do". However, electricity has no idea which vehicle or unit it is in. It behaves the same.

Goomph 08-09-2011 09:58 AM

If I know anything about electric and/or electronics, you install the cut off switch on the positive terminal ...

And having just gone through a similar discussion in another forum which got uglyish, and everyone trying to defend that you cut it off on the negative side, and being adamant about it, I will just watch this from sidelines .....

Yes yes, I know electrons flow from the negative to the positive side ... You still cut it off from the positive side.

I guess my stance is, as long as you do not find your battery dead after a few weeks you will be happy (and so will I for you). I hope you never find out why you should have put the battery cut off switch on the positive side though.

Triguy 08-09-2011 10:34 AM

I have a Blue Sea disconnect switch. Blue Sea instructions are to install off of the positive terminal per ABYC standards.

Personally, I have used and seen both neg and pos setups, but the marine ones are always off the positive IIRC.

I have no idea why.