Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Flagstaff (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Hole rubbed in bottom of battery (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f33/hole-rubbed-in-bottom-of-battery-160477.html)

Bev4banff53 05-22-2018 05:13 PM

Hole rubbed in bottom of battery
 
Has anyone had this issue with batteries? I purchased a Forest River Flagstaff e-pro 12rk on April 26th at which time the dealership in Ohio (I live in Texas) installed 2 6 volt batteries. They put them in battery cases, but by the time I finished my two weeks of traveling, I discovered that the bolts in the bottom of the battery cases were actually rubbing on the bottom of the batteries, scraping off the bottoms of the batteries to the point where the one of the bolts actually caused a hole/leak in one of the batteries. I am trying to deal with my dealer to replace the leaking battery (and plan to lay down some rubber on top of the bolts to prevent this from happening in the future), but the dealership is not cooperating. I sent them pictures today, but the service manager doesn't seem to want to call me back. Has anyone had this happen to their batteries? Any suggestions how to resolve this issue if I cannot get the dealership to come through?

JayArras 05-22-2018 05:32 PM

Make sure you file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in the dealer's area. Believe it or not, people check those listings and retailers HATE when they get bad press because of unresolved issues.

Flybob 05-22-2018 05:41 PM

If you wore a hole in the bottom of a battery in two weeks, either the incorrect bolts were used or they were installed incorrectly. This is a relatively inexpensive item for the dealer to take a hard stand on.

Bev4banff53 05-23-2018 09:39 AM

Issue may be resolved
 
Well, my issue may very well be resolved. The service manager called me this morning and said they would provide me with a new battery! Yay! (Pictures were worth a 1000 words!). Just waiting for him to pay for it so that I can pick it up. My husband is going to put some rubber over the bolts so that this doesn't happen again.

MillMitch 05-23-2018 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bev4banff53 (Post 1818009)
Well, my issue may very well be resolved. The service manager called me this morning and said they would provide me with a new battery! Yay! (Pictures were worth a 1000 words!). Just waiting for him to pay for it so that I can pick it up. My husband is going to put some rubber over the bolts so that this doesn't happen again.

I would consider laying a thin board in the bottom of the tray. I would be concerned the bolt will wear through the rubber. My battery box isn't bolted to the rails, it just sits there with a strap around it :)

5picker 05-23-2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bev4banff53 (Post 1818009)
Well, my issue may very well be resolved. The service manager called me this morning and said they would provide me with a new battery! Yay! (Pictures were worth a 1000 words!). Just waiting for him to pay for it so that I can pick it up. My husband is going to put some rubber over the bolts so that this doesn't happen again.

Glad the dealer is doing the right thing.

As for the rubber... unless it is very thick, there will still be high spots the battery sits on instead of a nice flat surface. The battery case on these newer batteries is pretty thin. Maybe try round head bolts or most battery boxes have indentations where the bolt can be placed so they don't stick up and hit the battery.

Bev4banff53 05-23-2018 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5picker (Post 1818019)
Glad the dealer is doing the right thing.

As for the rubber... unless it is very thick, there will still be high spots the battery sits on instead of a nice flat surface. The battery case on these newer batteries is pretty thin. Maybe try round head bolts or most battery boxes have indentations where the bolt can be placed so they don't stick up and hit the battery.

We may use a double layer of rubber; my hubby is pretty good at figuring out resolutions to just about anything. And my bolts were round head and the batter box did have indentations, but they were indented enough. The bolts still stuck up and hit the battery. We will figure something out.

Larry-NC 05-23-2018 02:21 PM

Carriage bolts or Elevator bolts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 5picker (Post 1818019)
Glad the dealer is doing the right thing.

As for the rubber... unless it is very thick, there will still be high spots the battery sits on instead of a nice flat surface. The battery case on these newer batteries is pretty thin. Maybe try round head bolts or most battery boxes have indentations where the bolt can be placed so they don't stick up and hit the battery.

Redo the job with carriage bolts or elevator bolts.

Larry

bareftn 05-25-2018 06:37 AM

I like to see a pic of the bottom of the battery box, sounds to me like the box was is not mounted right . The heads of the bolts should never touch the battery even if you put rubber on them

Bev4banff53 05-25-2018 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bareftn (Post 1820085)
I like to see a pic of the bottom of the battery box, sounds to me like the box was is not mounted right . The heads of the bolts should never touch the battery even if you put rubber on them

The box wasn't mounted correctly; the service manager at the dealership did admit that to me when I sent him photos of the inside of the battery box. He ageed that he would pay for another battery; however, he has not returned my call to let me know how long before that is taken care of. I think he may have to send a purchase order to the battery store near me? I'm going to give him a few more days and if I don't hear from him, I will take further action.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.