Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   FR3 (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f232/)
-   -   Jacks/Levelers Down when parked-stored? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f232/jacks-levelers-down-when-parked-stored-165843.html)

GABulldawg 07-19-2018 07:39 PM

Jacks/Levelers Down when parked-stored?

Another question, another thread. I have a building/shelter built for the rv and a level pad that is paved with recycled asphalt millings.

My question, do you park/store your FR3 with the jacks down, coach leveled?

Is there any issue with doing this?

DutchRv 07-19-2018 08:14 PM

Mine is parked/stored next to the house. Level pad. Never felt a reason to use jacks, only use them on trips...

ostmd 07-20-2018 04:49 AM

Good question I'm just following

Carl17 07-20-2018 07:17 AM

jack

Get them retracted when store to keep them clean and protected from the environment. :trink39:

DutchRv 07-20-2018 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alright just chatted with Lippert Tech:

Anthony
Hello Gus. How may I assist you Today? -- Tech
1:23:47 PM
Me
Good afternoon. What is your advice using jacks when RV not in use (stored/parked)?
1:24:46 PM
Anthony
Totally up to you. You can store them with the jacks down or the jacks up. Dealers store them with jacks up as well as the OEMs

Also attached fluid refill instructions...

Bob_K 07-20-2018 01:11 PM

Levelers Up while Stored

I just had hydraulic levelers installed on my motorhome, and I plan to have them retracted while the motorhome is stored. My rationale is two fold. First, I want to keep the polished posts out of the weather to protect them. Second, if weather did get to my levelers, I'd rather have them stuck in the up position rather than the down position. At least I could drive to a repair shop. My storage spot is gravel and 99% level anyway.

Ready2camp 07-20-2018 01:11 PM

I agree with Carl17. People think they need to be down to keep the tires off or less on the ground while in storage "not true"

mbbutler 07-20-2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GABulldawg (Post 1875611)
Another question, another thread. I have a building/shelter built for the rv and a level pad that is paved with recycled asphalt millings.

My question, do you park/store your FR3 with the jacks down, coach leveled?

Is there any issue with doing this?

GO DAWGS!

pmsherman 07-20-2018 10:48 PM

I'd store it with the jacks up. My Lippert manual says that if they're down for an extended period of time, you need to wipe the shafts before raising the jacks. The book may also say that they should be cleaned weekly when left extended but I'm not sure about that.

Of course, if getting under your rig is one of those "tasks I just love to do" things then leave them down and have fun cleaning the shafts.

Phil

FORKLIFMAN 07-21-2018 02:54 AM

Few things to consider. when extended for a length of time, the weight will cause pressure on the seals, which may cause failure and leaking fluid. Most hydraulics tend to bleed or lose pressure internally, through the control valve. When left extended for long periods the chrome shaft will be subjected to the weather and may start pitting, and that will cause the wiper seal to fail, when start using.The shaft will have to be re-chromed and the packing replaced internally. Always advised my customers to retract all the cylinders on their forklifts. I plan too keep mine up. Also note, you check your hydraulic level only when all the shafts are retracted into theirs cylinders. or in other words all the way up. .

GABulldawg 07-22-2018 06:11 PM

Thank you so much for all the advice. Good stuff here and makes a lot of sense! Jacks up it is!!

And Go Dawgs!!