Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Flagstaff (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   antifreeze inlet on outside of camper help (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f33/antifreeze-inlet-on-outside-of-camper-help-170423.html)

mbanovetz 09-15-2018 10:20 AM

antifreeze inlet on outside of camper help
 
I have no idea how to use the antifreeze inlet on the outside of the camper.. I did find a switch to the pump and followed it back to the antifreeze inlet. I am assuming I move it. Also How Do i not get antifreeze into the water filter thing or do I just let that fill up? UGH. I have a 2018 Flagstaff 29KSWS. This is our 3rd camper in 3 years. so learned how to winterize with the antifreeze when the bypass was inside the camper that was fun learning too. Any Help Much appreciated. I do know about the water heater valves just need help on this antifreeze I dont want to make a pink mess like I did last year with the back flush that was plumbed wrong and I got it all over me. GRRRR.

JayArras 09-15-2018 10:36 AM

These two videos will tell you everything you need to know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0EWkwG2U3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C5IOmu8fJw

mbanovetz 09-15-2018 12:22 PM

Thank you!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayArras (Post 1928279)
These two videos will tell you everything you need to know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0EWkwG2U3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C5IOmu8fJw




This helps some. I had to go and make a hose to attach to the outside as they dont make one except the hand pump one. I am not using the hand pump. I also dont know how to avoid that water filter canister. They should sell a little cap to go over where that filter sits so I am not filling that container up.

JayArras 09-15-2018 02:56 PM

Some people put an empty soda bottle in the canister to take up some of the room, but really, RV antifreeze is relatively cheap, so it's no big deal.

I plan on removing my inside filter housing entirely when I winterize this year and just connect the two ends with a coupler. The OEM filters Forest River uses are problematic and develop leaks over time.

dbledan 09-16-2018 09:34 AM

Un screw and remove the filter. Put the housing back on. The housing will fill with antifreeze. Once done I take the housing off again and dump that down the drains for the traps. I ended up removing the filter completely and use an inline because it was such a pain.

Freetyme 09-16-2018 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbanovetz (Post 1928270)
I have no idea how to use the antifreeze inlet on the outside of the camper.. I did find a switch to the pump and followed it back to the antifreeze inlet. I am assuming I move it. Also How Do i not get antifreeze into the water filter thing or do I just let that fill up? UGH. I have a 2018 Flagstaff 29KSWS. This is our 3rd camper in 3 years. so learned how to winterize with the antifreeze when the bypass was inside the camper that was fun learning too. Any Help Much appreciated. I do know about the water heater valves just need help on this antifreeze I dont want to make a pink mess like I did last year with the back flush that was plumbed wrong and I got it all over me. GRRRR.

One pump valve position will draw from the antifreeze jug the other will not. I too just remove the filter and replace the canister, however I leave it that way until I dewinterize. I'll dump some antifreeze in the traps and some in the bowl when I know I won't be moving the trailer anymore.

packrat48 09-18-2018 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayArras (Post 1928474)
Some people put an empty soda bottle in the canister to take up some of the room, but really, RV antifreeze is relatively cheap, so it's no big deal.

I plan on removing my inside filter housing entirely when I winterize this year and just connect the two ends with a coupler. The OEM filters Forest River uses are problematic and develop leaks over time.

Tried putting soda bottle Sunday while helping niece and her DH winterize their Rockwood TT. Pump kept stopping finally discovered bottle floating to top and blocking flow. Removed bottle no more problem.

mbanovetz 09-18-2018 07:37 AM

THANK YOU for updating.
 
Thank you for updating I wont try the plastic bottle. LOL

mbanovetz 09-18-2018 07:40 AM

made a hose for inlet
 
I went to Ace Hardware and got the parts to make a hose for that inlet on the outside of the camper. A nice long hose. Going to be interesting as I am going to have to run outside and to the OTHER side to change the bottle of antifreeze. I kind of liked it inside the camper easier to keep an eye on the bottle. Thanks for all your help.:trink39:

Kaadk 09-18-2018 08:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbanovetz (Post 1928367)
This helps some. I had to go and make a hose to attach to the outside as they dont make one except the hand pump one. I am not using the hand pump. I also dont know how to avoid that water filter canister. They should sell a little cap to go over where that filter sits so I am not filling that container up.

Actually, they do:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Flow-...-p/88-2435.htm

I, however, went with a different option. I used some pex valves and put a bypass like you'd have on your water heater around my water filter.

Attachment 186881

I didn't know they sold a plate when I did it (it would have been cheaper), but I actually prefer my way. With it bypassed, I can leave the filter housing off all winter, and I don't have to worry about extreme temperature changes causing it to crack from repeated expansion/contraction. As an added bonus, I can bypass the water filter if I ever do develop a crack/leak. The KW1s are more notorious for that than the CCI-10 I had, but you never know.

Iwritecode 09-18-2018 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packrat48 (Post 1930417)
Tried putting soda bottle Sunday while helping niece and her DH winterize their Rockwood TT. Pump kept stopping finally discovered bottle floating to top and blocking flow. Removed bottle no more problem.

Put some rocks or sand in the soda bottle to weigh it down and you won't have that problem.

rockfordroo 09-18-2018 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iwritecode (Post 1930549)
Put some rocks or sand in the soda bottle to weigh it down and you won't have that problem.

Or just fill it with water.

Iwritecode 09-18-2018 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockfordroo (Post 1930557)
Or just fill it with water.

Then you have to worry about the bottle and/or lid cracking if you fill it all the way up and the water freezes.

Kaadk 09-18-2018 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iwritecode (Post 1930562)
Then you have to worry about the bottle and/or lid cracking if you fill it all the way up and the water freezes.

Then how about you fill the bottle with antifreeze? No problems cracking then. :roflblack:

5picker 09-18-2018 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbanovetz (Post 1930510)
I went to Ace Hardware and got the parts to make a hose for that inlet on the outside of the camper. A nice long hose. Going to be interesting as I am going to have to run outside and to the OTHER side to change the bottle of antifreeze. I kind of liked it inside the camper easier to keep an eye on the bottle. Thanks for all your help.:trink39:

Pour your antifreeze out of the jug(s) into a bucket.
No worries then about the gallon jug running empty.

In reality, once you do it a time or two, you'll find it doesn't take as much antifreeze as you might think. Two gallons in a bucket does EVERYTHING in our 5th wheel. I suck about a gallon and a half in through the antifreeze port and what remains in the bucket gets poured down the drains.

JayArras 09-18-2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaadk (Post 1930565)
Then how about you fill the bottle with antifreeze? No problems cracking then. :roflblack:

You might as well not bother then. Antifreeze is cheap, people!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/STA-BIL-R...eeze/838540502

rockfordroo 09-18-2018 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iwritecode (Post 1930562)
Then you have to worry about the bottle and/or lid cracking if you fill it all the way up and the water freezes.

Well, I assumed you'd remove the bottle after your done; but I guess that would defeat the purpose, wouldn't it?

You'll have to excuse me, I've never actually done this filter thing - I removed the crappy filter and use a Camco. And I only use AF in the drains. I blow everything out good.

mbanovetz 09-18-2018 01:27 PM

My main concern was about how to get the antifreeze in the outlet on the outside BUT I have fixed that problem and went to ACE hardware and made a hook up to the outside inlet. I will just let the filter bottle fill up as I dont want to mess with the plumbing this year. My hubby would freak if he thinks I messed with the plumbing LOL. Oh well. Thanks for all teh answers. I also like that plug thing you can put into the filter to stop antifreeze from filling it up. Pretty cool. Might have to try that. Only 10 bucks.

67L48 09-18-2018 02:02 PM

I removed my filter housing. 1/2" fittings and a short piece of PEX. I never used the actual filter, anyway.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 PM.