Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Exterior Maintenance | Roofs, Sealing, Covers & Vents (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f227/)
-   -   Need help finding cracked trim (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f227/need-help-finding-cracked-trim-180115.html)

Ale_Brewer 03-09-2019 02:33 PM

Need help finding cracked trim
 
On the highest point of the sides of my TT where it meets the roof, there is a long metal channel that goes the length of the trailer with screws in it. There is a plastic (or rubber?) "trim" piece that slides into the channel to cover the screws. After less than 3 years most of it is split/cracked and a section of it has completely come out of the channel. Does anyone know what this is called or where to get it? I called my local Camping World but they had no idea what I was talking about.

Kimber45 03-09-2019 02:56 PM

pictures are worth a thousand words

Wifshowfur 03-09-2019 03:24 PM

you need this. https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...9aACCEA&adurl=

Ale_Brewer 03-11-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wifshowfur (Post 2042448)

That's it!! Thanks! My follow-up question is do I need to keep the rain off my camper until this is replaced? I have no idea how long it's been damaged, I just noticed it the other day. Is this more decorative to cover the screws or does it actually help with keeping the water out?

Paulie1138 03-11-2019 09:14 AM

Just my guess. It helps to keep water off the screws, but is not truly waterproof. I am thinking it is more decorative. Maybe a year after getting my 5’r, I was doing a good look at everything before a long trip. I noticed my trim bulging in many places. Opened the trim to reveal many screws that were either not tightened correctly or had loosened and backed out a bit. I took those out, added a dab of sealant into the hole and on the threads and ran them back in. Now, it is part of my checklist to inspect. 3 years later, no more have loosened. I am thinking, they never were all the way in. However, I saw some of the exposed threads had some rust on them, but no signs of water intrusion beyond the exposed portion. When I put the screws back in, I noticed they were harder to screw in beyond the exposed portions, so I am thinking they never were all the way in.

I will add, my rig seldom sees rain, as I am in AZ, and it lives under a big solar structure, so no rain when home. However, it sees rain when camping, as it seems to be a rain magnet!!!!!

Ale_Brewer 03-11-2019 11:26 AM

That's a great idea. Might as well do it while the trim is off. I did notice a few of the newly exposed screws appeared to not be screwed in 100% of the way. You're probably right though...they were never fully in to begin with from the factory. No surprise there!

campbuzz98 03-11-2019 01:57 PM

Heavy-Duty Insert
 
If it is more convenient for you to use camping world and you are happy with them. It is called Heavy-Duty Insert on their website. By the way any dealer who repairs RVs should have this in stock.

MR.M 03-11-2019 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ale_Brewer (Post 2042415)
On the highest point of the sides of my TT where it meets the roof, there is a long metal channel that goes the length of the trailer with screws in it. There is a plastic (or rubber?) "trim" piece that slides into the channel to cover the screws. After less than 3 years most of it is split/cracked and a section of it has completely come out of the channel. Does anyone know what this is called or where to get it? I called my local Camping World but they had no idea what I was talking about.

Trim insert can get it on amazon 1 " is standard and comes in a few colors

TheWolfPaq82 03-11-2019 02:26 PM

HINT !!! DO NOT stretch it as you install it. If possible, keep the ends long...past the metal trim you put it in. The vinyl does have a tendency to shrink over time and the ends will shrink and expose those screws on the ends first. When I replaced mine on an older trailer, I'd start at one end and as I was pushing the vinyl into the channel, I'd put a little pressure towards the vinyl I've already inserted. If I made that clear ??

Larry-NC 03-11-2019 06:32 PM

Okay to leave it off
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ale_Brewer (Post 2043493)
That's it!! Thanks! My follow-up question is do I need to keep the rain off my camper until this is replaced? I have no idea how long it's been damaged, I just noticed it the other day. Is this more decorative to cover the screws or does it actually help with keeping the water out?

The metal part is called the "rain gutter." Between the rain gutter and the trailer is a kind of gummy caulk called "butyl tape." The actual stackup from outside in is rain gutter, butyl tape, roof membrane, trailer siding, and 1"x2"pine stringer. The stringer goes across the ends of all the roof trusses.

The butyl tape is such a good sealant that the vinyl insert is not needed for weatherproofing. It mostly serves to hide all those screws.

By the way, the insert is cheaper on eBay and comes in lots of colors. Knock yourself out!

Larry

Tiggerdad 03-12-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR.M (Post 2043839)
Trim insert can get it on amazon 1 " is standard and comes in a few colors

^^^^^^^ This, Measure carefully because there are different widths. I didn't so I had to order a second time. I chose to place a dab of Dicor non-sag on top of all screws when replacing trim as an additional protection.

Ale_Brewer 03-12-2019 07:18 PM

I ended up ordering some off Amazon. It's not here yet so I'm not sure of the quality, but it was pretty cheap (compared to most RV related things). I took the old stuff off to measure because I heard there were multiple sizes and Amazon listed 3/4" and 1". Mine measured 7/8" :crying: I went with the 1" so we'll see! My "trim" is black and the ends were caulked in. Is that just regular black caulk or do I need a special expensive RV sealant?

MR.M 03-12-2019 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ale_Brewer (Post 2045025)
I ended up ordering some off Amazon. It's not here yet so I'm not sure of the quality, but it was pretty cheap (compared to most RV related things). I took the old stuff off to measure because I heard there were multiple sizes and Amazon listed 3/4" and 1". Mine measured 7/8" :crying: I went with the 1" so we'll see! My "trim" is black and the ends were caulked in. Is that just regular black caulk or do I need a special expensive RV sealant?

Sikaflex in black will work good . you can get that onn amazon also . the 1" is correct . very easy install

Larry-NC 03-12-2019 07:35 PM

1" is right
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ale_Brewer (Post 2045025)
I ended up ordering some off Amazon. It's not here yet so I'm not sure of the quality, but it was pretty cheap (compared to most RV related things). I took the old stuff off to measure because I heard there were multiple sizes and Amazon listed 3/4" and 1". Mine measured 7/8" :crying: I went with the 1" so we'll see! My "trim" is black and the ends were caulked in. Is that just regular black caulk or do I need a special expensive RV sealant?

Yes, you want the 1" for the 7/8" channel so it will bulge outward enough to clear the screw heads.

Larry

Ale_Brewer 03-19-2019 08:34 AM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I got and it worked out very well. Did the swap this weekend. Which Sikaflex do I need? I searched on Amazon but there were a ton of different numbers. One (715) said it was for RVs but it also said it was for RV roofs and it was "semi self-leveling". I would imagine that would not be desirable for a vertical side application?

MR.M 03-19-2019 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ale_Brewer (Post 2050063)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I got and it worked out very well. Did the swap this weekend. Which Sikaflex do I need? I searched on Amazon but there were a ton of different numbers. One (715) said it was for RVs but it also said it was for RV roofs and it was "semi self-leveling". I would imagine that would not be desirable for a vertical side application?

I use the 221 good for all around

Ale_Brewer 03-23-2019 11:49 AM

Thanks for all the help guys! Got me a 100 ft. roll and some Sikaflex 221 and got er dun!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 PM.