Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Surveyor (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Coupler height (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f35/coupler-height-180168.html)

billydan91 03-10-2019 10:23 AM

Coupler height

Does anyone know the height of a coupler on a 287bhss? I need to adjust my hitch but my trailer is not at my house. Thank you

RRGuy55 03-12-2019 05:37 PM

Hitch height

Mineís about 20Ē... using an equal-I-zer..

upflying 03-12-2019 05:41 PM

I think it is measured by leveling the trailer, measure the rear of the frame and front of the frame to pavement. When frame measurements are equal, then measure the coupler height. 18-20" sounds about right

billydan91 03-12-2019 11:19 PM

Yeah the trailer has to be on level ground and then you measure the coupler height. I need to adjust my hitch drop because I recently lifted my truck but my trailer is not parked on level ground at the moment. I do not want to pull it out until I’m going camping in a few weeks lol.

dannyabear 03-12-2019 11:22 PM

There is a lot more to adjusting a WDH than just the height of the ball

babock 03-13-2019 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyabear (Post 2045170)

Yes but that's the first thing you need.

billydan91 03-13-2019 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyabear (Post 2045170)

I know but thatís the first thing you start off with. I tried to just adjust the head tilt but that didnít give me enough to drop. My truck sits about two and half inches higher now. I donít want to guess so I need the exact measurement. I need to drop the brackets that hold my spring bars also. Iím using a husky cl.

clarkbre 03-13-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billydan91 (Post 2045243)
I need to drop the brackets that hold my spring bars also. I’m using a husky cl.

I use that same hitch and have had it on 2 different trucks with the same trailer.

Honestly, instead of monkeying too much with the hitch and perches, I'd just adjust the ball height down how ever much you lifted the rear of your truck. 3" lift up, makes for 3" ball drop. You get the idea.

Also, don't change the perches and all that right away. The head height does not affect the spring bar tension. If it was dialed in on your truck before the lift and you leave the same # of washers in, it will provide the same tension regardless of ball height.

The real difference in how your truck sits is that it may be a bit nose high if your truck had the stock rake but now is lifted level. The front will appear to be high because the rear comes down a bit; however, it's the lift/level, not that your hitch isn't working properly.

If I recall correctly, from the bottom of the trailer coupler to the ground was 19 1/2". I set the bottom of the ball to 20" with 3 washers and the perches were set right in their center setting. Truck rides great.

billydan91 03-13-2019 01:25 PM

Yeah I get what your saying. I thought about just dropping the ball height how ever much it’s lifted but I haven’t messed with it since I got the trailer. now with more weight I want to start over and adjust everything.

MtBiker 03-13-2019 02:05 PM

Measure from the true frame rail height. Take your measurement from frame to ground at the axle point or centered between two axles.