Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Flagstaff (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Ride with 5er bucking! (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f33/ride-with-5er-bucking-186036.html)

Papatrc 05-28-2019 05:32 PM

Ride with 5er bucking!
 
So now I am wondering if I take the rear tires from 80 to 70 psi would help, without danger of the tires having issues? This is the part that is confusing to me. I have stock size LT tires load E. So when I rotate the tires from the rear to the front they go down from 80 psi to 55 psi.
Is not the diesel motor Allison trans and the 4x transfer case weight more than hitch weight of 1530? So I went from 80 to 74 actually on the ones mounted on the rear. The truck rides like a tank. The Hitch on the Andersen is over the rear axle and the GAWR is 6084.. Any info would help.......

Vikes79 05-28-2019 06:10 PM

It would help to know the year and type of tow vehicle etc.

How old are your tow vehicle shocks? Hopefully they aren’t the stock factory ones.

Going down in air pressure isn’t the answer and will generate more heat in your tires.

ependydad 05-28-2019 06:12 PM

Bucking is the up and down jerky feeling, right?

That’s exactly what I felt with my truck, the Andersen, and my trailer with a a fixed pin and very low pin weight percentage.

Your first step should be to weigh the truck and camper at a truck stop. Find out the camper’s overall weight, find out the pin weight, and figure out what the pin weight percentage is. My guess is it’s low. Making the front of the fifth wheel heavier may help.

I couldn’t move enough to make a difference, unfortunately. Already had a generator up front and the rest of the storage compartment was small and filled. My toy hauler garage setup is just heavy.

I did NOT experience the same bucking sensation with the B&W Companion before I swapped it out for the Andersen. The garage might not have been quite as heavy so I can’t give all the credit to the hitch.

My solution WAS another hitch, a Trailer Saver TS3. Unfortunately the hitch is stupidly heavy at almost 300 lbs. The exact opposite of the Andersen. And it’s comically expensive at about $3,000. But, we fulltime and I couldn’t have my wife being hurt with towing which is what the bucking was causing to occur.

Papatrc 05-28-2019 06:26 PM

The hitch weight is 15.4% when loaded and 17% unloaded tires at 80 seems a lot when everything is over the front axle and they are at 55psi. Plus I donít have the money for another hitch and I doubt that the dealer will just swap the Andersen out. I will tell them it is not right and they need to get it right. But not sure if they will care much

Papatrc 05-28-2019 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikes79 (Post 2106045)
It would help to know the year and type of tow vehicle etc.

How old are your tow vehicle shocks? Hopefully they arenít the stock factory ones.

Going down in air pressure isnít the answer and will generate more heat in your tires.



Shocks are brand new KYB Mono Max all 4 of them are new. If U click on the person next to name if gives all the information

Retired JSO 05-28-2019 06:46 PM

I believe your described bucking is actually chucking or the trailer is pushing and pulling your tow vehicle rapidly caused by road joints and hoop de dos. Most people adjust loads, redo their tires and suspension without much relief. They then invest in a rubber or air bladder pin box which solves the problem.

bikendan 05-28-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikes79 (Post 2106045)
It would help to know the year and type of tow vehicle etc.

His profile says 2002 Chevy 2500HD CC Duramax/Allison.

W5CI 05-28-2019 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retired JSO (Post 2106078)
I believe your described bucking is actually chucking or the trailer is pushing and pulling your tow vehicle rapidly caused by road joints and hoop de dos. Most people adjust loads, redo their tires and suspension without much relief. They then invest in a rubber or air bladder pin box which solves the problem.

But everyone says the Andersen stops all of the chucking. It sounds to me he has it installed backwards with the ball actually behind the real Axel

ependydad 05-28-2019 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papatrc (Post 2106056)
The hitch weight is 15.4% when loaded and 17% unloaded tires at 80 seems a lot when everything is over the front axle and they are at 55psi. Plus I don’t have the money for another hitch and I doubt that the dealer will just swap the Andersen out. I will tell them it is not right and they need to get it right. But not sure if they will care much

Can you get your pin weight any higher? Where are your tanks? Can you put water in them?

And the dealer won’t swap it out, but you can always sell it and buy a new hitch. That’s what I did. Sold the Andersen and put the money to something better.

5picker 05-29-2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W5CI (Post 2106142)
But everyone says the Andersen stops all of the chucking. It sounds to me he has it installed backwards with the ball actually behind the real Axel

Chucking and bucking are two completely different things.

Chucking is the 'slop' in the king pin to hitch plate fitment and any play in the hitch/rails. Most noticeable on take-off and stopping but can also be felt at times on rough roads.

Bucking is the up/down (porpoising) forward/back motion of the TV-R/V combination.

5picker 05-29-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikes79 (Post 2106045)
It would help to know the year and type of tow vehicle etc.

How old are your tow vehicle shocks? Hopefully they arenít the stock factory ones.

Going down in air pressure isnít the answer and will generate more heat in your tires.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papatrc (Post 2106062)
Shocks are brand new KYB Mono Max all 4 of them are new. If U click on the person next to name if gives all the information

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikendan (Post 2106114)
His profile says 2002 Chevy 2500HD CC Duramax/Allison.


The information is in the OP's profile but it is just good forum etiquette to set up a signature line and ALSO include all the pertinent information in the body of the post when asking more than general questions. (in this case hitch brand and pin box type/weight would help)

It also helps those that use the mobile app(s) as the signature line doesn't display within each post.

NMWildcat 05-29-2019 09:57 AM

I have the same truck, but an '07. 55psi on the door sticker for front tires is just ridiculous. My tires looked flat and the steering was squishy at that psi. When empty I usually run 65psi all around, sometimes 60psi in back. Towing, I run 70psi front and 80psi rear. Works well for me.
15-17% pin weight sounds about right, maybe a little light depending on weight distribution.
I had one truck/fifth wheel combo that I just couldn't get to ride smooth, no matter what I did. A previous fifth wheel with the same truck and hitch was perfect. So I switched out the hitch for an air ride with a shock to dampen front to back motion and an air bag for up and down. Fixed.
I believe that some combos of distance from truck axle to trailer axle and hitch is just going to cause more unwanted motion than others, especially on concrete roads. If you change shocks, weight distribution, tires, etc, and the motion is still there, change the hitch;)

woo10-210 05-29-2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papatrc (Post 2106062)
If U click on the person next to name if gives all the information

If it were only that easy. Many of us access the forums through a phone in mobile view and can't see the profile unless we switch to full site view.

Springerdad 05-29-2019 01:27 PM

I'll be interested to see how this turns out. I also have the Andersen Ultimate, and am experiencing the same thing as the OP. According to the instructions, and what I see in the pics, proper installation is with the ball rearward of directly over the axle. I've pondered the reason for that design but have not as yet called customer support for their input.

bikendan 05-29-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5picker (Post 2106452)
The information is in the OP's profile but it is just good forum etiquette to set up a signature line and ALSO include all the pertinent information in the body of the post when asking more than general questions. (in this case hitch brand and pin box type/weight would help)

It also helps those that use the mobile app(s) as the signature line doesn't display within each post.

I always use the FR mobile app and signature lines never show up. I'd have to go to the regular website to see them.
That's why I have to check the profile.

Electra glide 05-29-2019 02:09 PM

I have the Andersen with same issues but it's due to these junk Iowa roads. When I am on decent pavement or concrete I have no issues.

Mr. Dan 05-29-2019 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electra glide (Post 2106706)
I have the Andersen with same issues but it's due to these junk Iowa roads. When I am on decent pavement or concrete I have no issues.

Likewise...... my Andersen Ultimate in combination with my truck and trailer have no such issues ever ---- except on US 75 between Sherman and Denison, Texas which I now avoid at all costs.

dwreefs 05-29-2019 03:37 PM

I changed out my crappy flat bar type hitch head to a Reese head with the cams that grab your pin . What a difference that was , threw that old head straight in the garbage


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 PM.