Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Flagstaff (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Pull behind towing (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f33/pull-behind-towing-189498.html)

Micro Mom 07-11-2019 03:44 PM

Pull behind towing

Hi all. We went from 14 years of towing 33 - 40 fifth wheels to our lovely little 25BDS MicroLite. Towing such a small trailer is much easier in respect to maneuvering but we are feeling the trailer behind us more than when we pulled our fifth wheel. Not a lot, but noticeable.

What were really having a hard time with is hitching and unhitching. I finally made a note on my phone to refer to. Can you all let me know if Im missing anything or if I got anything wrong? FYI bucket refers to the red stabilizer bucket-looking thing that we got from the dealer for under the jack. Please forgive me if my terminology is wrong.

Unhitching
1. Chock wheels
2. Put bucket under jack
3. Raise jack slightly
4. Release sway bars
5. (Adjust height?)
6. Release ball hitch lock

Hitching
1. Line up ball hitch & receiver
2. Lower to just cover ball hitch
3. Lock ball hitch
4. Put sway bars on and lock
5. Remove bucket
6. Remove chocks

bikendan 07-11-2019 03:50 PM

First, don't know what you mean by red bucket thing. Do you have a pic, link or name of this thing?
Second, are you using a WDH or just a hitch ball and a friction antisway bar? If it's a WDH, brand and model would help.

TheWolfPaq82 07-11-2019 03:52 PM

Unhitching
1. Chock wheels
2. Put bucket under jack
3. Raise jack slightly (Raise as high as you need to release pressure from bars.) I've probably hit 8 to 10" sometimes.
4. Release sway bars
5. (Adjust height?) (Lower enough so hitch unlocks easily.)
6. Release ball hitch lock
**7. Raise up and move vehicle and level trailer.

Hitching
1. Line up ball hitch & receiver
2. Lower to just cover ball hitch
3. Lock ball hitch (Raise up jack to make bars go on easier.)
4. Put sway bars on and lock
5. Remove bucket
6. Remove chocks

IsleDog 07-11-2019 03:53 PM

you are going to get a million people adding all of the little things that can/should be done when hitching/unhitching. you have a good grasp on the general procedure. in time it will become second nature! when we got our camper, we hitched and unhitched several times (towed around the block) just so we had a few controlled situations under our belt. you've got this! happy camping!

when unhitching, we check for level (side to side) before anything else (we have stabilizers, not levelers). yours may be different.

67L48 07-11-2019 03:56 PM

Generally speaking, yes, that's correct. Chocking the wheels before you unhitch and leaving the chocks in place until your trailer is back on the hitch are the two most important things. Otherwise, you could have a runaway trailer. Yes, people do this ... unhitch without chocks in place.

Then, I'm usually up-down, up-down. That is, hitch goes up to release tension on WDH bars. Then down to put weight back on ball. Then up to remove hitch from ball. Then back down (after truck pulls forward) to level out.

Micro Mom 07-11-2019 04:03 PM

Thank you for the quick replies!

This is the bucket: https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitc...12236131&psc=1

And we do have a weight distribution hitch. Sorry I don’t remember the name or model. It was the most expensive of the three weight distribution hitches that the dealer sold.

TheWolfPaq82 thanks! Your additions to my notes are helpful and appreciated!

IsleDog thank you for your words of encouragement. We also have stabilizers. I kind of miss the automatic leveling the last fifth wheel had. And I’m so missing the quickness of fifth wheel hitches! But we did drop the hitch on DH’s tailgate once. You only do that once and then you learn! No danger of crushing the tailgate with a pull behind:)

IsleDog 07-11-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micro Mom (Post 2138154)
Thank you for the quick replies!

This is the bucket: https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitc...12236131&psc=1

And we do have a weight distribution hitch. Sorry I dont remember the name or model. It was the most expensive of the three weight distribution hitches that the dealer sold.

TheWolfPaq82 thanks! Your additions to my notes are helpful and appreciated!

IsleDog thank you for your words of encouragement. Im so missing the quickness of fifth wheel hitches! But we did drop the hitch on DHs tailgate once. You only do that once and then you learn! No danger of crushing the tailgate with a pull behind:)

one word of caution is to check the clearance of your tailgate to jack post. i can open mine and but cant let it all the way down. the tailgate will hit the jack post.

Tblt44 07-11-2019 04:39 PM

I watched my camping neighbor last weekend remove wheel chocks before hitching up.
Lucky nobody got hurt when the pop up rolled forward off his blocks of wood as they were cranking it down

EdJunior 07-11-2019 05:54 PM

Quote:

No danger of crushing the tailgate with a pull behind:)

Uh...don't be too sure of this. I never did it with my TT, but with a stupid little utility trailer, I forgot to clasp the hitch properly, and I stepped onto the back of the trailer, and it popped right off the ball. And went right into my tailgate. No major damage...more to my ego than anything. But just letting you know...it can happen.

Otherwise, you have the steps down pretty well. Do you have a power trailer jack, or manual? If you have a manual, get a power. Your arms and back will love you for it.

TitanMike 07-11-2019 06:26 PM

Good choice on the 25 BDS. I love mine too. :trink39:

As for "feeling it more" , that's because the hinge point is farther behind the rear axle of the truck. Once you get used to it that feeling will just disappear into the background.

JayArras 07-11-2019 10:39 PM

Quote:

I can't see how they can claim that that block will "eliminate all movement and sway" of the trailer any more than putting a block of wood there will. :rolleyes: And at $48? C'mon!

TitanMike 07-11-2019 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayArras (Post 2138492)
I can't see how they can claim that that block will "eliminate all movement and sway" of the trailer any more than putting a block of wood there will. :rolleyes: And at $48? C'mon!

Depends on the block of wood. A chunk as tall and wide as these can be heavy.

Used under the tongue Jack I can see more stability than extending the Jack farther.

One could use a cinder block too. Depends on how much you want to lift and what your setup looks like.

Jhut 07-11-2019 11:30 PM

This is the way I do it also.
The way wolf pack stated on 1st page.

moose074 07-12-2019 07:08 AM

Your definitely on track. As stated the more you do it the easier it will be. Learning to identify tension on the ball for smooth discontent is key.

JayArras 07-12-2019 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanMike (Post 2138515)
Depends on the block of wood. A chunk as tall and wide as these can be heavy.

Used under the tongue Jack I can see more stability than extending the Jack farther.

One could use a cinder block too. Depends on how much you want to lift and what your setup looks like.

I use a combination of two 4x4 wood block sections (side by side) and several stacked duplo blocks on top. I also place the duplos under each stability jack.

D W 07-12-2019 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IsleDog (Post 2138161)
one word of caution is to check the clearance of your tailgate to jack post. i can open mine and but cant let it all the way down. the tailgate will hit the jack post.

I read about this and see it more and more every day. Why do people opt for a setup that precludes them from opening the tailgate? It make no sense, no sense at all. :confused: