Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Dollars & Cents (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f188/)
-   -   What size of generator is neeed? what kind? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f188/what-size-of-generator-is-neeed-what-kind-19100.html)

muzbomb 01-16-2012 10:13 PM

What size of generator is neeed? what kind?

Hey guys i just bought a RV in Sept. I am looking at getting a generator for it. I am not sure how many Watts i need to be able to run stuff? What kind are good and quiet also? Thanks

papap 01-16-2012 10:32 PM

Honda 4000 watt

LadyWindrider 01-16-2012 11:05 PM

It all depends on what "stuff" you want to run, and how much weight you want to carry, and what campgrounds you are going to without power, and their rules.

I'll try and explain. A Honda 2000 watt is light, dependable, efficient, and very quiet, so it won't bother the neighbors. It will not run the the air conditioner, but is great for the electronics, like television, and dvd players, and satellite. Microwave is a toss up, depending on how much other stuff you are running. The Yamaha 2400 is probably next, but same problem. It might run the Air Conditioner, but then nothing else. These are true sine wave generators which your electronics REQUIRES. Now you can buy two of the small Honda's, and a parallel cable, and tun the AC. Not sure on the Yamaha. All of this is pricey, a couple of thousand, and I know some one will start posting cheap deals, so I'll move on.

Next is the campground. Many only allow generator usage during certain times of the day, and almost never at night, so there goes the AC again, and now all the electronics.

Lastly is being a good neighbor. Most people will get their generator as far away from their site as possible which means it is in your bedroom window. How loud do you want it to be?

You can to the big box store and get a contractor generator for the AC, but the electronics may not work, and it will be loud. And if you keep your neighbors up at night with a generator running, they will be up early, banging pots, pans, tent pole, setting the alarm on their car, thus causing the horn to blow......... and the list goes on.

Search on here for generator, many post, some reviews by owners, and do some homework.

Figure out what you want to do, and post back, someone will help.

muzbomb 01-16-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papap (Post 155237)
Honda 4000 watt

that will be enough to run fridge, coffee pot, microwave, 15,000 btu a/c all at the same time?

donn 01-16-2012 11:06 PM

You first must figure out what you want to power and for how long? Next you need to figure out how much you want to spend.
Forget using a generator for the AC except in extreme circumstances. Do not even use it for the microwave. The new ones are really touchy, and generators sometimes cannot supply clean enough power. So that leaves battery charging, maybe a hair dryer for DW. For that a 2KW Honda or Yamaha will do just fine. If you insist on using generator for the AC then a pair of 2KW Honda plus a parallel kit or a Yamaha 3KW will do fine.

muzbomb 01-16-2012 11:21 PM

i want a generator that doesn't have to run everything, but i would like to get one that can run the a/c and say something else like tv,fridge, coffee pot.... as like something like that. My friend has a 3600WATT HONDA that he said will run to major things at the same time like fridge and a/c.... As for the camp ground i can't say for sure i plan on staying where there is full hook up but not all the time i will get lucky. It is a toss up for the camp ground and rules i can't say for sure. I dont want to piss people off with loud gennys cause i would be pissed off to with a loud genny.

muzbomb 01-16-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donn (Post 155247)
You first must figure out what you want to power and for how long? Next you need to figure out how much you want to spend.
Forget using a generator for the AC except in extreme circumstances. Do not even use it for the microwave. The new ones are really touchy, and generators sometimes cannot supply clean enough power. So that leaves battery charging, maybe a hair dryer for DW. For that a 2KW Honda or Yamaha will do just fine. If you insist on using generator for the AC then a pair of 2KW Honda plus a parallel kit or a Yamaha 3KW will do fine.

so why no generator with a/c? what is the reason for that? I am new to this RVing so any info will help and i will defenitly be smarter this summer when RVing.thanks

papap 01-16-2012 11:44 PM

I was told if you have a 30 amp breaker. The must your system can draw is 3600 watts. Also if is is 50 amp it can draw 6000 watts. Not sure if this is true.

papap 01-16-2012 11:47 PM

Muzbomb. I have ran ac for 4 weeks with my 4000 with no problem.

muzbomb 01-17-2012 12:15 AM

ok so is this something i should not rush into and maybe go camping for a year try it out and see what it is like. Then go from there. I am going to try and get full hook ups all the time anywhere i go. Got 3 young young kids no dry camping for this guy.LOL