Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Propane Systems (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f224/)
-   -   A tip to more easily know that gas switched tanks? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f224/a-tip-to-more-easily-know-that-gas-switched-tanks-193717.html)

dcavaiani 09-07-2019 07:23 AM

A tip to more easily know that gas switched tanks?

Anyone know the quickest way to see that the propane gas has emptied and has switched over to the other tank ?

nomad297 09-07-2019 07:33 AM

Look at the green/red indicator on the tank selector. If the arrow on the selector is pointing towards an empty tank, the indicator will be red, indicating that it has switched over to the other tank, as long as the other tank has some propane in it. If you turn the knob so the arrow points to the other tank, it should change to green, indicating that there is propane in that tank. If it stays red, you’re going to get cold.

Bruce

fonzie 09-07-2019 07:37 AM

Also you can add an inspection window so you don't have to remove cover.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...mod-40615.html

gbaldwin 09-07-2019 07:39 AM

For this reson, I only use one tank at a time. I know it is out when one of my gas appliences wont work. Normally the fridge CHECK light comes on. ... So I switch manually and then KNOW to take my empty to refill at the next trip to town and I have a week or two + to do it.

I dont want it to switch atuomatically and I not know it.... then I have a potential OSWO situation brewing which can be a real pain.

dcavaiani 09-07-2019 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzie (Post 2179387)
Also you can add an inspection window so you don't have to remove cover.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...mod-40615.html

This is what I was looking for. Thank you!

koller1509 09-07-2019 08:34 AM

You can add the Mopeka tank sensors. They mount to the underside of each tank with a magnet. You have a small readout that shows the level of each tank and also have an app for you smart phone that you can set the level at which it will alert you.

Pockets 09-07-2019 03:43 PM

That red/green indicator has never worked on my tanks. I knew it didn't work when I got to Las Cruces and on a cold morning found both tanks empty. When I checked the indicator it was green. The dude at the propane dealership told me those things never work. So I run one tank at a time. When it is empty, I manually switch over. Then I know for sure.

fonzie 09-07-2019 04:19 PM

" The dude at the propane dealership told me those things never work"

Well it has work for me for 9 years, so go figure.

wfwilson 09-07-2019 05:40 PM

On my old trailer (SOB) the red Ang green indicator worked for ever. On My present Flagstaff the red green switch has never worked.
I am going to use the one tank open method
Thanks Wayne

TitanMike 09-07-2019 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzie (Post 2179631)
" The dude at the propane dealership told me those things never work"

Well it has work for me for 9 years, so go figure.

How long is "never".

My old trailer's indicator was working fine after 22 years when I sold it and the one on my new trailer is working fine too..

rlh1957 09-07-2019 09:42 PM

My auto change over regulator and indicator work fine. If yours doesn't replace it with one that does. Never had one go bad. As indicators go, it's a convenience thing... nothing replaces the mind and knowing what is going on. You always should know what your fuel level in your truck is base on normal usage and burn and not just on an electronic or mechanical gauge that can fail. If you know you have gone 400 miles since last fill up and you know range is 450 miles... no matter if the gauge says half a tank you know it's incorrect.

OldBob 09-07-2019 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcavaiani (Post 2179383)
Anyone know the quickest way to see that the propane gas has emptied and has switched over to the other tank ?

We always keep the tank we are NOT using turned off and the tank switch set to both. I place a clip on the tank we are using so there is no confusion. I'd rather have the slight inconvenience of turning on the valve on the full tank rather than suddenly finding ourselves totally out of gas. I find I must turn off the empty tank to keep the full tank from leaking into the empty tank, a slight inconvenience.

Long ago I ran both tanks dry and began this method to avoid that ever happening again. I've done this for many years now.

CedarCreekWoody 09-08-2019 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pockets (Post 2179616)
That red/green indicator has never worked on my tanks. I knew it didn't work when I got to Las Cruces and on a cold morning found both tanks empty. When I checked the indicator it was green. The dude at the propane dealership told me those things never work. So I run one tank at a time. When it is empty, I manually switch over. Then I know for sure.

X2
This is the reason I use a manual switchover.

Theo 09-09-2019 08:38 AM

If your tank cover has a top hatch (I believe most do), then K.I.S.S.; use one of these telescoping inspection mirrors:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...cture20027.png

They seem to come in very handy for klutzes like me! :o

Arnie M 09-11-2019 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldBob (Post 2179820)
We always keep the tank we are NOT using turned off and the tank switch set to both. I place a clip on the tank we are using so there is no confusion. I'd rather have the slight inconvenience of turning on the valve on the full tank rather than suddenly finding ourselves totally out of gas. I find I must turn off the empty tank to keep the full tank from leaking into the empty tank, a slight inconvenience.

Long ago I ran both tanks dry and began this method to avoid that ever happening again. I've done this for many years now.

X2
When you are boon docking it's good to know when a tank goes dry.
We boon dock to get away from everything (no cell or WiFi) so have lots of time on our hands for what we enjoy.
Yes, there was a time I had to switch the tanks at 2 in the morning but big deal, on holiday, back to bed.

gbaldwin 09-12-2019 02:17 PM

Green and red indicators I have found to be very reliable. Use 1 tank at a time; always using gas when boondocking for fridge; The fridge "Check" light comming on is normally the notice I get that myfirst tank is empty; the red indicator has always been present when the check light comes ON. pretty easy monitoring.

nutdriver 09-13-2019 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbaldwin (Post 2182891)
Green and red indicators I have found to be very reliable. Use 1 tank at a time; always using gas when boondocking for fridge; The fridge "Check" light comming on is normally the notice I get that myfirst tank is empty; the red indicator has always been present when the check light comes ON. pretty easy monitoring.

I can understand this working when you are hanging out around the trailer but I am often off exploring. Leave at 9 and come back at 6 pm. I could see coming back to a refrigerator that is warm and the freezer full of thawing food. I also do not understand how this would work while driving with the refrigerator using propane. Again running out of propane on the road could result in the refrigerator getting warm before I discover it. My practice is to allow the tanks to auto switch but to do daily or nearly daily checks to see if the tanks have switched. I then immediately start looking to fill the empty tank.

AceCombat 09-20-2019 03:48 AM

If your appliances are still working then it switched over. If they wont light your either out of propane or it dudnt switch over!

harleyfltri 09-21-2019 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcavaiani (Post 2179383)

I installed this monitoring system in my trailer right by the door. https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-1...gateway&sr=8-3

wanderer26 09-27-2019 04:06 PM

I have owned travel trailers since 1970 and now have a fifth wheel. All have had auto change over. Have never had a problem with any of them. The two trailers i have owned that did not come with auto change over i removed the factory one and replaced with auto change over.