Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   A Frame Campers (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f221/)
-   -   Quick Stop - Jacks Down? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f221/quick-stop-jacks-down-19485.html)

KristenDavid208 02-04-2012 04:17 AM

Quick Stop - Jacks Down?

We have a 2012 Flagstaff T12 that we will be taking cross country this year. As part of our journey we will have some quick nights were we just stop to sleep and get right back on the road. My question is - if the camper is hooked to the SUV do we have to put down the stabilizing jacks for those quick stop nights?

bikendan 02-04-2012 04:24 AM

if i'm still hooked to the TV, i never put down the stab jacks.

Mountainmanbob 02-04-2012 04:26 AM

no need

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristenDavid208 (Post 158859)
We have a 2012 Flagstaff T12 that we will be taking cross country this year.

if the camper is hooked to the SUV do we have to put down the stabilizing jacks for those quick stop nights?

no need to stabilize
it will be more rocky
but
you will not be doing much
walking in your rig anyway
just pulling over for a little sleep

have a great time
Mountainman

backpacker3 02-04-2012 04:56 AM

I would do whatever makes you comfortable. As for myself, I lower them for over night stops just to make the camper a little more stable when moving around inside. You may want to hook up to your TV and try it with the stabs up and then down and then decide. That's what I did.
Good Luck.

MtnGuy 02-04-2012 06:30 AM

I don't mess with the jacks for a quick overnite stop.

tentcamper1 02-04-2012 06:47 AM

I put them down and chock the wheels I don't care for all the movement. I would try it with and without them down and decide for yourself.

Mike G 02-04-2012 09:09 AM

I put the stabilizers down. I use a cordless drill, so it only takes a minute to do.

thehamguy1 02-04-2012 09:11 AM

Whichever way you decide, I'd recommend unconnecting the wiring plug between the camper and the tow vehicle to keep their batteries separate overnight. This was recommended to me by the dealer, perhaps it's not necessary but I've been doing that (and leaving the jacks up).

MtnGuy 02-04-2012 10:20 AM

Many new tow vehicles have an isolation switch....when the motor is turned off, then the hot wire to the trailer is disconnected. If a vehicle has that, then I don't see where leaving the tow vehicle and trailer hooked up would be a problem. If a vehicle doesn't have that, then there could be a problem with drawing down the TV battery. But there again, that would effectively give you 2 batteries instead of just 1.....I think.

My 2006 F150 has the isolation switch.

Terier 02-04-2012 12:46 PM

I was told by the service department to unplug the wiring plug to prevent over charging.

I'm with everyone else on this for a quick overnight stop - if you need the jacks then lower them otherwise just leave them up. Either way I would still use chocks.