Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Modifications and Updates (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f68/)
-   -   Slide out tray for FW. (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f68/slide-out-tray-for-fw-20200.html)

Team Topper 02-29-2012 09:25 PM

Slide out tray for FW.

Wondering if any one has installed a slide out tray in a FW. I have a rather deep pass through and hard to reach things in the back. Have found aluminum ones online, but kinda pricey. Have seen homemade ones made out of wood with accuride rails, but they don't extend all the way out. Any suggestions and pics will be appreciated.

05CrewDually 03-01-2012 12:27 AM

No experience with these but they appear to be pretty noble and what your inquiring.

RV Sliding Compartments

OldCoot 03-01-2012 06:39 AM

Made a drawer for my truck and used garage door rails & rollers. Your local garage door shop usually has a lot of them in the scrap pile.

Bama Rambler 03-01-2012 07:03 AM

If you're wanting a fully extending drawer the most expensive part is going to be the glides. Accuride makes some 60" 500 lb rated glides. I'm sure they're others.

myredracer 03-02-2012 09:53 AM

Cabinet Drawer Slides, Glides, Hinges, & Hardware | DrawerSlides.com has several makes of 60" ones. The fully locking Accuride ones are $563/pair. Ouch. They list one made by Ryadon that is $205, but it's non-locking. Maybe you could go with a little shorter drawer slide and just reach in a foot or so?

I think some type of floor mounted slide would be easier to install, otherwise you'll have to install plywood on the sides for the side mount slides. And the slides have to be within a tolerance of 1/16" side-side front to back which could take some fiddling depending on how straight things are in your unit.

I recently bought 9 pairs of locking RV drawer slides from drawerslides.com and am really happy with them.

Murphie 03-04-2012 02:13 AM

Slide out storage drawer

This is a link to a home made one that is very rugged and simple. I am going to make one for my truck and one for my pass thru storage. I also like the idea the above poster had who mentioned using garage door rails and rollers. Possibly a combination of both ideas would work ror you. Hope this helps

Richard

Build This Sliding Truck-Bed Drawer, and Get Easy Access to All Your Tools - Fine Homebuilding

Murphie 03-04-2012 02:45 AM

I just want to give thanks to the guy who posted this here on the second page. I don't want to take credit for it when some else was kind enough to share it with us. So hats off to you my friend.

Richard

myredracer 03-07-2012 10:31 AM

I just came across a Kwikee Superslide while surfing RV sites. Available from many vendors but the price seems to vary a lot. Here's info. from PPL:

Kwikee Super Slide II for RV Compartments - PPL Motor Homes

Looks like you make the width to custom fit your unit. Don't see any info. on weight. Not exactly cheap, but not too bad either for what it is.

Team Topper 03-07-2012 08:49 PM

Thanks for the replies. Think I'll buy a pre made unit rather than make one. The ones from PPL actually are reasonably priced compared to most I've seen.