Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Exterior Maintenance | Roofs, Sealing, Covers & Vents (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f227/)
-   -   Eternabond application question (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f227/eternabond-application-question-21620.html)

pwrboatfan 04-09-2012 05:04 PM

Eternabond application question

I am going to apply Eternabond Tape on my slideouts this weekend. When I first got the camper, I had noticed a few nail heads were backing up through the tape the factory had used to seal the slideout at the roof seam and wall of the slideout. I put some Proflex RV Sealant on the nail heads just in case it rained while we were using the camper (I have been putting the slideouts in when I am not there until I got the roofs taped with Eternabond). Would it be bad if I laid the Eternabond over the Proflex, or should I remove the Proflex and then lay the Eternabond? I even thought about tapping the nails back down if I removed the Proflex.

Thanks Nick

pbrackney 04-09-2012 06:10 PM

Great question I look forward to hearing an answer as well.

Char_n_Kath 04-09-2012 07:59 PM

The instructions for Eternabond are pretty clear - don't apply it over anything silicone cuz it just won't stick. As long as the Proflex you have already installed isn't silicone (a Tripolymer formula according to ads on internet), then I would think you'd have no problem with putting the Eternabond over the Proflex/nails. As long as you are satisfied the Proflex isn't silicone, I would install right over what you've already done. I installed the Eternabond on my unit over all of the fairly rough Dicor that was originally laid down - & have had no problems..... Good luck!

Herk7769 04-09-2012 08:14 PM

Per the instructions you should prep the area under the EB Tape with either the spray or can EB Primer. The primer is basically Acetone and you can get a quart of that at Home Depot or Lowes. It is TOXIC and will eat your hands if you use the can. The EB spray is really easy to use.
You can safely store it in the camper to use for emergency repairs and I recommend it. Also keep a small roll of EB tape in the camper, I have already permanently repaired a tree strike hole in the roof (camping trip would have been over before it started) in less than a minute with it.
EB tape can be lapped over EB tape for a long tear easily (must use the primer over the lower tape surface).

Eternabond EternaPrime Spray on Primer

buy your tape there too. Best price I found.

pwrboatfan 04-10-2012 12:18 AM

Herk, I have already bought the tape and it should be arriving tomorrow. I will not have time to get the spray primer delivered before I was going to the lake to lay the tape on the slide outs. I planned on using lacquer thinner dabbed on a cloth to clean the surfaces before applying. Everything I have read online said this would work fine. Any thoughts?/

Herk7769 04-10-2012 06:11 AM

I would not be using laquer thinner!
If you are in a rush go to the home store and buy the acetone!

Acetone does its job and is GONE in seconds. You could screw up your roof using an aggressive solvent that could melt the roofing material.

pwrboatfan 04-10-2012 07:56 AM

Ok...Acetone it is. I will get some good PVC gloves to handle the stuff. Thanks!

SaskCampers 04-10-2012 09:13 AM

You should read this prior to using acetone or any other pertolum based cleaner on your roof.

Roof Maintenance

Herk7769 04-10-2012 09:18 AM

That is a very good article.

The acetone is not being used "as a cleaner" but as a surface prep for the EB permanent sealant.

If you are not using the spray, you put the acetone on a rag and gently wipe only the area that will be in contact with the tape. ALWAYS cap the can! A spill would be a disaster.

Highly flammable as well, so no smoking if you are a smoker. :eek:

pwrboatfan 04-10-2012 03:58 PM

Herk thanks for the heads up with the Acetone. What type of cleaner would you recommend to prep the area before I lay down the acetone then the Eternabond?