Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Tow Vehicles, Hitches & Toads (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   How many of us towing 5W with 1/2 Ton? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/how-many-of-us-towing-5w-with-1-2-ton-25745.html)

boubou 07-04-2012 03:32 PM

How many of us towing 5W with 1/2 Ton?
 
there 's a lot of talk on forums about towing 5th wheel With half-ton trucks but it's all over the place. I'm sure I'm Not the only one looking for answers so I thought I'd Start a thread so that we could compare our experiences with such combos.
How many of us towing 5W with 1/2 Ton?
Which TT and TT?
Positive or negative experience with combo unit?
Future plans?
No need to Re-ash the talk about 3/4 and 1 ton requirement.... Looking for the other side of the coin.
Brigitte

TURBS 07-04-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boubou
there 's a lot of talk on forums about towing 5th wheel With half-ton trucks but it's all over the place. I'm sure I'm Not the only one looking for answers so I thought I'd Start a thread so that we could compare our experiences with such combos.
How many of us towing 5W with 1/2 Ton?
Which TT and TT?
Positive or negative experience with combo unit?
Future plans?
No need to Re-ash the talk about 3/4 and 1 ton requirement.... Looking for the other side of the coin.
Brigitte

My best friends pull a flagstaff classic ultralite 5er with there 08 ford f150 super crew short bed 8528 bhss I believe. No issues. Other than the dreaded chucking.

boubou 07-04-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1100turbo

My best friends pull a flagstaff classic ultralite 5er with there 08 ford f150 super crew short bed 8528 bhss I believe. No issues. Other than the dreaded chucking.

What's the chucking caused by an how does it get fixed?
Also, I understand about pin weight on TT is fixed but how does pin weight work on 5th wheel? Can that be changed by moving cargo to the back of
The unit and how much of that pin weigh gets (little as it may be) transferred to front axle?
Picking up Jayco Eagle Superlite HT(half ton towable) 23.5 tomorrow and will report on it on this specific thread.

TURBS 07-04-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boubou

What's the chucking caused by an how does it get fixed?
Also, I understand about pin weight on TT is fixed but how does pin weight work on 5th wheel? Can that be changed by moving cargo to the back of
The unit and how much of that pin weigh gets (little as it may be) transferred to front axle?
Picking up Jayco Eagle Superlite HT(half ton towable) 23.5 tomorrow and will report on it on this specific thread.

Chucking imo is caused by light variable rate springs in todays trucks.
Air bags all but eliminate it.
Pin weight can somewhat be reduced by moving weight to the rear or behind axles.

boubou 07-04-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1100turbo

Chucking imo is caused by light variable rate springs in todays trucks.
Air bags all but eliminate it.
Pin weight can somewhat be reduced by moving weight to the rear or behind axles.

Airbags work better than timbrens? Can we get airbag that inflate from inside truck pushing a button? (go ahead, laugh lol)?
What about the Gawr? I don't know what it's really going to be at until I weigh in but what if it's 200 lbs or so over?

TURBS 07-04-2012 04:18 PM

I can't comment on timbrens. I do in fact know air bags work!
Yes you can buy an onboard compressor and controls for in cab. To allow bags to be inflated or deflated on the fly.

RattVader 07-04-2012 04:34 PM

Brigitte,my previous tow vehicle was a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC,4x4,SLT with 3:55's,CAI,and a Superchips tuner.Last trailer I towed with her was a 30ft TT. Even though she had the grunt to move her along fairly well,and when it downshifted to 3rd to make those 6-8% grades,and was screaming her lungs out,it still seemed like it could handle it fine.However (and this is just my opinion)I remember a line from a movie were the guy said,"Just because you could doesn't mean you should".It really does apply to a lot of things.After a few white knuckle experiences of the trailer doing the wagging thing,I decided that perhaps in this instance something a little bigger,which translates most times into something more capable of handling bigger loads was in order.Again just one old guy's .02

TURBS 07-04-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RattVader
Brigitte,my previous tow vehicle was a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500,4x4,SLT with 3:55's,CAI,and a Superchips tuner.Last trailer I towed with her was a 30ft TT. Even though she had the grunt to move her along fairly well,and when it downshifted to 3rd to make those 6-8% grades,and was screaming her lungs out,it still seemed like it could handle it fine.However (and this is just my opinion)I remember a line from a movie were the guy said,

I'm on the edge of my seat what was the line?

PapaSmurf 07-04-2012 04:55 PM

I use to tow a 7,800# dry (10,000# loaded) 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton truck (2002 GMC King Cab with 2007 Wildcat 29RLBS). I Pull with this combo for over two years. The only down side I ever had was panic stopping. I changed my brake controller and eliminated 98% of my stopping issues. I did have two extra leafs added to the springs when I had the hitch installed in the bed. I would imagine I was equivalent to a 3/4 ton with the springs. Truck rode and handled OK, but when I upgraded to the Ford diesel, it was night and day difference. Now that I have crossed over, I would never go back to a 1/2 ton.

Having done it, I know it can be done... I never felt unsafe, but having used both I would not recommend it to anyone.

OldCoot 07-04-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boubou (Post 218161)
there 's a lot of talk on forums about towing 5th wheel With half-ton trucks but it's all over the place. I'm sure I'm Not the only one looking for answers so I thought I'd Start a thread so that we could compare our experiences with such combos.
How many of us towing 5W with 1/2 Ton?
Which TT and TT?
Positive or negative experience with combo unit?
Future plans?
No need to Re-ash the talk about 3/4 and 1 ton requirement.... Looking for the other side of the coin.
Brigitte

I am towing a 12 Flagstaff 8528 with an 05 Silverado Ext. Cab 1500 short bed with airbags & onboard compressor. Supposedly I am grossly over weight, but have towed it over 1500 miles so far and have no problems whatsoever either pulling it or stopping it. Have added shocks to the trailer and have not experienced the chucking or dophining/porpoising. The trailer follows the contour of the road and neither exaggerates or continues the action after crossing that section of wavy road. We are very pleased with the whole rig. It may wear the truck out prematurely, but at our age, we will either rebuild it or hang it up permanently and sell what's left.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 AM.