Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Tow Vehicles, Hitches & Toads (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   How many of us towing 5W with 1/2 Ton? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/how-many-of-us-towing-5w-with-1-2-ton-25745.html)

transamz9 07-06-2012 06:04 AM

That is for commercial vehicles.

KyDan 07-06-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comfun1 (Post 218405)
In the late nineties myself and three of my friends all bought fifth wheels ranging from 28-30' and pulled them with our extended cab short bed half tons. There were two Chevys a Ford and a GMC and all had V8's. No one had any problems and we traveled the Colorado Rockies and The New Mexico Rockies including the 12,000 ft passes. Also a trip to Big Bend National Park.

BUT what size V8s?? They could have ranged from 283-289 all the way up
to 455 CI.
Also what did the trailers weigh?

OldCoot 07-06-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyDan (Post 218387)
Have you weighed your trailer AND which engine do you have???
Very curious as my wife is pushing for a larger trailer and I believe a 5er is
in our future!

We have a 5.3l with a 3.23 rear end. Yes, weighed the whole rig on the SC state scales.

KyDan 07-06-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunnnc (Post 218801)
We have a 5.3l with a 3.23 rear end. Yes, weighed the whole rig on the SC state scales.

What did does it weigh :confused:

Rsgtivr6 07-06-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by transamz9 (Post 218781)
That is for commercial vehicles.

In many states, the commercial weight laws will still aply to personal vehicles. In MN they are listed under the same laws. It would be more of a problem in civil court where lawyers can use a broad range of reasons for compensation and damages due to wreckless endangerment. If you put it on the road, it is your responsibility to ensure it's safety. If you don't think a prosecuting lawyer wont use that towards his case, then I have a bridge for sale in San Francisco.

comfun1 07-06-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyDan (Post 218798)
BUT what size V8s?? They could have ranged from 283-289 all the way up
to 455 CI.
Also what did the trailers weigh?

I think the Chevy's and GMC's were 5.3 and my Ford was 5.4l. I know at the time they were the largest V8's. All the fifth wheels but one were in the 28-30' range with a single large slide containing sofa and dinette. There was a Sportsman, Cougar and a Cardinal. There was a smaller Sunnybrook with a smaller slide.

boubou 07-06-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rsgtivr6

In many states, the commercial weight laws will still aply to personal vehicles. In MN they are listed under the same laws. It would be more of a problem in civil court where lawyers can use a broad range of reasons for compensation and damages due to wreckless endangerment. If you put it on the road, it is your responsibility to ensure it's safety. If you don't think a prosecuting lawyer wont use that towards his case, then I have a bridge for sale in San Francisco.

Now that's interesting but there is more to weight state laws than staying within one's truck weight ratings. For example:
"In Virginia rigs under 26,001 pounds GVWR, provided the tow vehicle’s GVWR is less then 16,001 pounds are legal (VA rules). Since production and full ton pickup have GVWR between 9 and 12 thousand pounds, the effective legal trailer GVWR limit ranges from 7 to 8.5 tons. VA seems to use the federal definition of a commercial vehicle. "

dretired 07-06-2012 12:37 PM

is it really a 1/2 ton ??

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 16176 Towing with a 1/2 ton....i am not sure if a properly equipped F150 should even be in that category anymore..:confused: :thumbsup:

J_KHawthorne 07-06-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boubou (Post 218161)
there 's a lot of talk on forums about towing 5th wheel With half-ton trucks but it's all over the place. I'm sure I'm Not the only one looking for answers so I thought I'd Start a thread so that we could compare our experiences with such combos.
How many of us towing 5W with 1/2 Ton?
Which TT and TT?
Positive or negative experience with combo unit?
Future plans?
No need to Re-ash the talk about 3/4 and 1 ton requirement.... Looking for the other side of the coin.
Brigitte

We have now logged 9,700 TOWING miles with our rig. Trailer weighs in at 9,200-9,500 lbs on trips taken so far, with a pin weight of 1550 (Beacon Scales).

We are extremely careful about balancing loads and we always travel dry for the most part. (I did a segment or 2 with ~30 gals of water in the tank when we went into the interior of BC, Canada, but didn't need it.

The Tundra has towed this rig from sea-level through close to 10,000 feet flawlessly, and in temps from 27F to 102F without engine temp or tranny temp gauges budging even a fraction. On the long upgrades, I keep engine RPM's at 3500-3800 and forget about speed, which has never dropped below 45 MPH, even on the huge grade outside of Vail, CO.

Hope this os of some help!

OldCoot 07-06-2012 01:26 PM

Need to keep in mind that the weight ratings are the manufacturer's figures on what they consider their trucks can haul without damage to the truck and protect themselves from lawsuits. Not what the truck can actually haul. I would like to know what constitutes "safely tow". Just because a 3/4 or 1t truck has beefier suspension, etc. and weighs only a few hundred pounds more how it is "safer". Someone needs to define "Safer" or just what is "Unsafe" and what each actually entails.