Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (
-   General Toy Hauler Topics (
-   -   Insurance Include Toys? (

LadyWindrider 11-28-2008 09:16 AM

Insurance Include Toys?
Hello all, having just purchased my first toy hauler, and getting insurance, I was looked at very strangely when I gave a value of the contents over half as much as the value of the trailer. When I explained the motorcycles, the answer came back, you already have insurance on them. Here the chase begins: What's inside the camper may not be covered if it has tags and insurance on it already. A motorcycle being towed in a trailer will not be covered by the motorcycle insurance, but rather by the tow vehicle insurance. Read carefully, your camper insurance may not be in effect if it is connected to the tow vehicle. You may need to get load insurance on the tow vehicle, just like a tractor-trailer.
Oh the world of insurance, has to be run by lawyer wanna be's.

aintgotnun 11-28-2008 11:07 AM

Yeah, we've found the same here so we don't have any insurance on the trailer at all. While at the house it's covered under the homeowner's and while being towed it's covered under my TV. We just have beefed up on each.

MtnGuy 11-28-2008 05:44 PM

Our auto insurance policy provides liability insurance on any towed vehicle, but not collision or comprehensive while being towed, so we have the trailer insured for lose of value....just in case.


Radio 11-28-2008 07:58 PM

I have real RV insurance.

This covers physical damage to the trailer while being towed and covers the contents for theft. My deductables are $1000 so the premium is only $400 and change each year. Also, if the trailer it totaled for any reason, weather, fire, accident, theft...I get a brand new trailer (minus $1000) for the first five years of ownership.

It would be nice if the TV insurance and the RV insurance were with the same people. Having just ran over the dealers gatepost with the trailer (oops!) I have found the RV insurance carrier to be way more competent than the TV people.

Trempert 11-29-2008 09:08 AM

I recently had my trailer broken into. My TV was stolen as well as a bunch of damage. The insurance company covered the TV only because it was installed by the manufacturer. Any after market items such as adding a TV, "toy", grill, etc. are covered under your homeowners policy and subject to an additional deductible.

out4stlhed 12-09-2008 09:43 PM

Ok now you have me wondering, guess I better check my coverage. I do have separate coverage for the the TV, TT and full coverage on my two ATV's.

lets see how ling it takes to figure this out.

ES4Me 04-16-2009 11:59 PM

After having just gone through the theft and subsequent destruction of our travel trailer and it's contents in January - I can honestly say I am VERY glad I had separate RV insurance rather than relying on my auto or home owners policies. We are purchasing a new 5'er to be picked up in May and again - we will have specialty RV insurance. Unlike Radio, we did not have a replacement coverage (DH thought it would be a 'waste of money') but he agrees we will have replacement this time!

Victoria, TX

dahmmer 04-17-2009 05:28 PM

I actually have a home owners policy on the trailer itself. It covers the contents and replacement value of the trailer. We also have road insurance for just the trailer itself . IE trailer plate. The trailer plate is something like 75 $ for the year and the other policy is around 400$ a year.As far as I know I am covered under the HP even while traveling.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 PM.