Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   A Frame Campers (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f221/)
-   -   Cooking preference, In or Out? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f221/cooking-preference-in-or-out-33234.html)

handbuilder 01-13-2013 06:52 PM

Cooking preference, In or Out?

1 Attachment(s)
I discovered I dont care to use the stove inside...found it was easier to microwave and grill. I like cooking outdoor because its not so clausterphobic.. coffe is a meal in itself (the stuff of life) which is always brewed inside as soon as my eyes pop open with the sunrise haha

Cooking inside my travel trailer never bothered me, but the lack of room and tight storage in the A Frame finds me preferring outdoor cooking or not at all, just microwave meals.

One dog show I was camping at, the motorhome next to us fried chicken outside...oh man, talk about food envy! My show buddy and I were drooling! We vowed the next dog show we entered together, we would have chicken! haha Our husbands found it funny - I dont like using the grill if its just me so hopefully this latest purchase will work for my culinary wants when I am solo.

I bought this propane camp stove/oven combo to try out in the Spring with new camp kitchen...plan on baking some cinnamon rolls with my coffee...baked chicken, meatloaf or salmon on future dinner menu too! Winter better end soon, I can easily become a shopaholic! haha

Whats your preference in your A-Frame? In or out?

wyo700 01-13-2013 07:51 PM

I dont have an A frame but I usually always do all the cooking outside on the Coleman two burner. Unless we are cooking one more course then my wife will cook it inside. But I prefer to cook outside. I also have a little portable grill that works great.

WEMig 01-13-2013 07:58 PM

I always carry a double propane burner, a propane stove, a charcoal grill, and electric hotplate. We rarely use the stove or oven inside unless we do a night snack for the kids, like macoronni and cheese.

handbuilder 01-13-2013 08:18 PM

I am glad that its not so odd to prefer to cook outside than in - especially to know you guys in the larger units do too! Thanks for sharing! I lile reading how other campers set up their kitchens and cooking! I am bound to pick up a few tips along the way!!

Tamara

bob213 01-13-2013 08:36 PM

handbuilder...would you please repost with a review on that combination stove and oven when you use it. I see them at the beginning of the season at Costco and haven't got enough feedback to decide whether to buy one. (We do all of our cooking outside also, although we don't have an A Frame)

mike06081969 01-13-2013 08:42 PM

We definitely prefer to cook outside when we're camping. Our Blue Ridge has the outdoor kitchen and we have really enjoyed it. Nothing like watching the Tennessee Vols on a crisp Saturday afternoon outside the camper with a pot of chili on the outdoor stove. (Be nice if the Vols could win a game, but that's a subject for a different forum, lol.)

We keep a small charcoal grill stowed underneath, too. We prefer the taste of charcoal cooked meat to that cooked over gas.

Being outside is the whole reason we camp. Why not do the cooking there as well?

Twisty 01-13-2013 08:42 PM

I used to tent it.
We bought a popup so we wouldn't have to cook or eat outside anymore.
The TT has a fair sized kitchen and gets used.

mike06081969 01-13-2013 08:47 PM

Two other musts for RV camp cooking: an electric griddle and a toaster oven.

handbuilder 01-13-2013 09:14 PM

Mike, I see several people like to use the electric griddle...it may be the next addition!

Bob, I will be happy to give a review! Costco offers the best deal both price wise and bundle wise at 179-! I got mine at Sportsman Unlimited for 199 bit it did not include the griddle tht Costco included.... it sells for 229 at Cabelas and 289 elsewhere. I missed Costcos deal, waited too long pondering the few reviews but did like the few tht were written there and on Cabelas site.

WEMig 01-13-2013 09:18 PM

Electric griddles are great for breakfast of all sorts, tortilla wraps, and I've even cooked buisquets using a 2 inch pan to act as the oven.