Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Tow Vehicles, Hitches & Toads (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   trouble towing 2013 Salem (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/trouble-towing-2013-salem-33296.html)

paulslp123 01-15-2013 07:05 AM

trouble towing 2013 Salem

I purchased a 2013 Forest River Salem in August. I tow with a Ford Expedition Limited with a 9000 lb. limit. I towed an 8500 lb, 32' Fleetwood Prowler with this vehicle for 6 years. When I hook up to the Salem and go over 45 mph, the trailer is swaying all over road. I have purchased second set of weight distribution bars, second sway bar and purchased truck tires for rear of SUV. Cannot get control of trailer. Was told by a non Forest River dealer that he thinks that it may be poor design due to super slide and kitchen in front. Both are in front of axle and put loads of weight up front. Can anyone help me? I have a travel trailer I cannot tow.

Chewie 01-15-2013 07:13 AM

Sounds like improper setup. You would have to weigh the setup. Many threads on how to, just do a quick search. That way you would know exactly what bars you need and if the trailer is too much for the tow vehicle.

paulslp123 01-15-2013 07:15 AM

I have had both different sets of weight distribution bars, both different brands, installed by two different RV dealers. SUV should by all accounts, tow this trailer. Do you think that weight too much in front of axles? THANKS

MtnGuy 01-15-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulslp123 (Post 291706)
I purchased a 2013 Forest River Salem in August. I tow with a Ford Expedition Limited with a 9000 lb. limit.

What model Salem and year and model of the Expedition ??

youroo 01-15-2013 07:43 AM

We can (Guess) all day on this. Need all Weights before proper Discussions! :confused: Youroo!!

lindy 01-15-2013 08:04 AM

Of course another dealer will tell you it's a poor design issue in hopes he can talk you into trading it in on one of his units. What it sounds like you need to do is remove the current WD/sway control sys. and start setting it up again from the beginning. Read all thew instructions to ensure you're setting it up properly. Also look at the way you're loading the trl. With a front kitchen make sure you're not putting a lot of your stuff in the back of the trl. Too much rear weight will also cause serious swaying issues.

Goomph 01-15-2013 08:17 AM

Your WD is probably not working properly and unloading the front wheels of the expedition .... You need to weigh your rig and see where you are, with and without the trailer. What kind of WD hitch do you have ? You might need to get a better one ...

SaskCampers 01-15-2013 11:41 AM

Worse case is purchase either a Hensley Arrow or ProPride 3P and you won't worry about sway anymore. I believe someone has a propride for sale on here right now or did have. Best case is get a competent installer to set your hitch up correctly for your combo.

DDC 01-15-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSasks (Post 291800)
Worse case is purchase either a Hensley Arrow or ProPride 3P and you won't worry about sway anymore. I believe someone has a propride for sale on here right now or did have. Best case is get a competent installer to set your hitch up correctly for your combo.

I would say the Hensley option would be the best case not the worst as he would no longer have sway at all!

Dave_Monica 01-15-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulslp123 (Post 291706)
I purchased a 2013 Forest River Salem in August. I tow with a Ford Expedition Limited with a 9000 lb. limit. I towed an 8500 lb, 32' Fleetwood Prowler with this vehicle for 6 years. When I hook up to the Salem and go over 45 mph, the trailer is swaying all over road. I have purchased second set of weight distribution bars, second sway bar and purchased truck tires for rear of SUV. Cannot get control of trailer. Was told by a non Forest River dealer that he thinks that it may be poor design due to super slide and kitchen in front. Both are in front of axle and put loads of weight up front. Can anyone help me? I have a travel trailer I cannot tow.

The best hitch in the world won't overcome improper installation. There's lots of information available on how to set these W/D integrated anti sway units in your driveway without the weight scaling the combo. Scaling the set-up to fine tune later if necessary.

As far a floorplan and a heavy tongue weight, if that's true, your headlights would be in the trees but it wouldn't necessarily cause trailer sway. Low tongue weight is more likelier to cause trailer sway.

For better feedback you need to provide camper year and model, details on your truck and your hitch type.

Dave