Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Dollars & Cents (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f188/)
-   -   Those darn tires! (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f188/those-darn-tires-34102.html)

OL Creeker 02-03-2013 09:49 PM

Those darn tires!

While towing near Panama City, FL, I had to stop for gas. When I did, I found I had a blown front left tire on our 2013, Rockwood Mini Lite. These tires had less than 6,000 miles on them.

Now, here's a little back round for those who don't know the whole story. Since we've owned it (about four months) we've had two tires that would lose 20-30 psi while the unit was parked! FR agreed to have them fixed. But since we were on the road, I decided to keep airing them up till we got home - the Mini took care of the problem.

The odd part is, the tire that blew was one of the good ones! I changed the tire. While doing so, I found a bolt in another one. It was still holding pressure. We drove about 10 mins, found a Goodyear dealer - bought four tires. I called FR warranty dept., and was told to send them the receipt that they'd look into taking care of it.

A subsequent email from them stated in part that FR was no longer using "Karrier" tires, made by Goodyear. Apparently they've gotten tired of people complaining and having problems like us.

bakken 02-03-2013 10:03 PM

So even Goodyear makes cheapo garbage tires?
I'll bet they came from a Chinese plant.

OL Creeker 02-03-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakken (Post 301119)

Yes. So did the new ones! If I had 15" wheels, I could get US made tires!

wyo700 02-03-2013 11:24 PM

My tires have about 2000 miles on them and they look like crap. I will be getting maxxis m8008 here within the next month. I had to air mine up 5 pounds over max cause at max pressure of 50 psi they were wearing like they were under inflated and I was not even close to the gvwr of my camper. I will be stepping up to load range D tires with the new ones.

SaskCampers 02-04-2013 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakken (Post 301119)

The Marathons on my flat deck are made in China so it's not a suprise. The Duro's on my V-Lite are China tires too and still look new after 3 years and over 12,000 miles, they will however be replaced this spring with Maxxis tires even though I have to drive to Montana to get them.

Top B 02-04-2013 06:10 AM

I use Ride-On in all my tires (Trailer, cars, TV, and motorcycles). Nothing like being out in the boonies with a flat tire, especially if you are boondocking. Here is their promotopnal video. Unless you cut a sidewall you should be ok, but you still need to inspet your tires for nails, screws, etc., plus you don't have to have your tires re-balanced ever again (just rotated) after it is installed.

pwrstroke2012 02-04-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyo700 (Post 301154)
My tires have about 2000 miles on them and they look like crap. I will be getting maxxis m8008 here within the next month. I had to air mine up 5 pounds over max cause at max pressure of 50 psi they were wearing like they were under inflated and I was not even close to the gvwr of my camper. I will be stepping up to load range D tires with the new ones.

X2! Been pricing them for spring. Around $600 for 4 OTD.

Herk7769 02-04-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arjerram (Post 301111)
A subsequent email from them stated in part that FR was no longer using "Karrier" tires, made by Goodyear. Apparently they've gotten tired of people complaining and having problems like us.

Karrier tires are made by KENDA not Goodyear.
Good year trailer tires are the Marathon series.

OL Creeker 02-04-2013 08:01 AM

Ok. I thought only Goodyear made those crummy tires.

Herk7769 02-04-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arjerram (Post 301201)
Ok. I thought only Goodyear made those crummy tires.

I am not sure what you mean. I am quite happy with my Marathon ST radial tires that were made in Gadsden Alabama.