Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Eastern USA (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Port Huron to Alpena to Soo in Michigan (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f116/port-huron-to-alpena-to-soo-in-michigan-37521.html)

QuietTimes 04-08-2013 10:16 AM

Port Huron to Alpena to Soo in Michigan
 
We have camping booked just outside Alpena in June.

We will be entering the US at Port Huron, going to Alpena, then back into Canada north at the Soo.

The plan is to take 69 west from Port Huron, then north on 75 at Flint. Close to Standish the I75 bears NW. Highway 23 goes NE and looks like it is close to the western shore of Lake Huron. I would like to go that way as it looks like a nice drive. Since we will be pulling a 32' trailer does anyone see a problem with this route? Any good gas stops?

Secondly - Any hints, tips or must do's in the Alpena area? We will be at Campers Cove on lake Winya and plan to do a bit of fishing.

Thanks!

SYE 04-08-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuietTimes (Post 344181)
We have camping booked just outside Alpena in June.

We will be entering the US at Port Huron, going to Alpena, then back into Canada north at the Soo.

The plan is to take 69 west from Port Huron, then north on 75 at Flint. Close to Standish the I75 bears NW. Highway 23 goes NE and looks like it is close to the western shore of Lake Huron. I would like to go that way as it looks like a nice drive. Since we will be pulling a 32' trailer does anyone see a problem with this route? Any good gas stops?

Secondly - Any hints, tips or must do's in the Alpena area? We will be at Campers Cove on lake Winya and plan to do a bit of fishing.

Thanks!

I am staying at the same place next month in Alpena. Lakeport State Park just nice of Port Huron is a nice place as well. If you are gipoing up I75 about a half hour south of the Bridge is Indian River , it is a nice area as well.

QuietTimes 04-08-2013 10:35 AM

Hi Vicki and Scott,
When researching I looked at a number of state parks that looked great. Unfortunately once you add the "you don't live in Michigan" fee, it's more cost efficient to stay at a private campground. Too bad. I really liked the Tawas point one.

DDC 04-08-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuietTimes (Post 344193)
Hi Vicki and Scott,
When researching I looked at a number of state parks that looked great. Unfortunately once you add the "you don't live in Michigan" fee, it's more cost efficient to stay at a private campground. Too bad. I really liked the Tawas point one.

You wonder why they would discourage tourism by making outside visitors pay more.

SYE 04-08-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuietTimes (Post 344193)
Hi Vicki and Scott,
When researching I looked at a number of state parks that looked great. Unfortunately once you add the "you don't live in Michigan" fee, it's more cost efficient to stay at a private campground. Too bad. I really liked the Tawas point one.

Tawas Point is a nice park, but they pack them in there like Sardines, We found a nice place to stay just south of town called Tawas RV park. We had a great time there. Then again we have a good time anywhere we go!!!:trink39:

QuietTimes 04-08-2013 11:35 AM

Agree DDC. Perhaps they have enough business with Michigan residents. Or perhaps because MI residents pay taxes that is factored in. I looked on the Ontario Parks site and it doesn't appear that we charge anything different based on where you live. You get a discount if you are a senior or handicapped.

SYE 04-08-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuietTimes (Post 344231)
Agree DDC. Perhaps they have enough business with Michigan residents. Or perhaps because MI residents pay taxes that is factored in. I looked on the Ontario Parks site and it doesn't appear that we charge anything different based on where you live. You get a discount if you are a senior or handicapped.

It is nonlt the state parks because we are broke here!!! I like staying at private campgrounds much better.

youroo 04-08-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDC (Post 344213)
You wonder why they would discourage tourism by making outside visitors pay more.

Well lets see Mi.yearly Park Pass N/R-30.50$ year Canada yearly Adult Park Entry Pass-29.40$ or 73.00 per Family year. Fishing-N/R Mi.-34.00$ Year Fishing Canada N/R ?? Mi. USA is a better deal.:) Youroo!!

RamblerGuy 04-08-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syencer (Post 344236)
It is nonlt the state parks because we are broke here!!! I like staying at private campgrounds much better.

We were in Michigan for nearly a month last spring. We bought a non-resident parks pass. In addition to covering admission to the parks where we camped, it saved paying separate day use admission to several other parks that we visited.

We've bought state parks annual passes in several states for this reason. When we arrive at the first campground in a state we do a little math to decide if we will be visiting enough to be worthwhile buuying a pass. The non-resident parks pass in Florida would have been around $150! It was not worth it for our visit.

QuietTimes 04-09-2013 07:05 AM

I'll have to look into the park cost more thouroughly next year. All vacation spots booked for this trip.

Any comments from anyone on going up highway 23 along the shore? Bad hills? Tight turns? Low bridges? And any other gotchas?

Thanks.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 AM.