Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Berkshire (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f112/)
-   -   Changing the oil on the Berkshire 390bh. (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f112/changing-the-oil-on-the-berkshire-390bh-42862.html)

kingwood390bh 06-29-2013 11:22 AM

Changing the oil on the Berkshire 390bh.
 
I'm about to head over to the motorhome to change the oil. I've changed the oil on all of my other vehicles but this is my first diesel.
I have: a 5 gallon bucket to drain the oil into
4 gallons of 15w40 diesel oil
Lucas oil additive suggested by mechanic
appropriate oil filter
I will: drain the oil from the crankcase with ratchet extention
remove the oil filter and replace with filter filled with oil
replace drain plug
refill with oil and additive
pray that the last guy to change the oil didn't over tighten the filter
Have I forgotten anything?

tmmar 06-29-2013 02:41 PM

No- seems like you have everything covered and should be good to go. Do you know when the fuel filter and water separator were changed? You might want to consider those as well.

EJM4 06-29-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmmar (Post 410708)
No- seems like you have everything covered and should be good to go. Do you know when the fuel filter and water separator were changed? You might want to consider those as well.

X2

For the price of filters it is best to change them when changing the oil.

boowho 06-29-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingwood390bh (Post 410648)
I'm about to head over to the motorhome to change the oil. I've changed the oil on all of my other vehicles but this is my first diesel.
I have: a 5 gallon bucket to drain the oil into
4 gallons of 15w40 diesel oil
Lucas oil additive suggested by mechanic
appropriate oil filter
I will: drain the oil from the crankcase with ratchet extention
remove the oil filter and replace with filter filled with oil
replace drain plug
refill with oil and additive
pray that the last guy to change the oil didn't over tighten the filter
Have I forgotten anything?

How are you going to raise it up?? DO NO use the leveling jacks, not matter what you do.

Boowho??

kingwood390bh 06-29-2013 07:34 PM

I got up underneath the coach(in 104 degree heat) and found the quarters very close. How could I raise the coach without the jacks? I may have to pay someone. Thanks
Will

speedmerchant 06-29-2013 08:57 PM

A 5 gallon bucket won't fit under the pan, and if you cut it it won't hold enough oil. I use a plastic 45 gallon drum cut to fit under there. Then you're good.

boowho 06-29-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingwood390bh (Post 410897)
I got up underneath the coach(in 104 degree heat) and found the quarters very close. How could I raise the coach without the jacks? I may have to pay someone. Thanks
Will

I guess you could buy some VERY HEAVY DUTY jack stands. Raise the coach enough using the built in jacks, then place the jack stands under the rear axle then gently lower the coach enough so that some of the weight is on the stands. Of course, you would HAVE to be on a VERY solid surface.

The jack stands (I would GUESS) should be capable of at least 12K lbs EACH. Your coach probably carries 17500+ lbs weight on the back axle.

Kingwood, do NOT take my advice as gospel. I am NOT an expert. And I am in no way telling/advising you to do this. (disclaimer)

But by doing it as mentioned above, you have one system (the jacks) "back stopping" the other (the jack stands) and vice versa. And would PROBABLY be safe.

The built in jacks CAN and HAVE collapsed SUDDENLY and VIOLENTLY. Mine did so one night and was so loud all the neighbors came running outside to see what had happened. Had I been under the unit, I wouldn't be typing this.

In my opinion, changing one's own oil is highly desirable. Just be VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY careful. You (and anyone for that matter) that crawls under a raised coach that is not PROPERLY supported, is begging for a disaster.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

Boowho??

Phil57 06-29-2013 09:16 PM

I have not done this but my plan was to use the jacks to raise the MH and then put jack stands on the frame to be the safety. I don't see anything wrong with that but would like to hear
Why that is not safe. I plan to change the oil this fall and that is the only way I have to do it.

edgewant 06-29-2013 09:31 PM

I changed my oil last month and just left it inflated on the air bags. Needless to say I didn't spent any time under the oil pan. It was tight but I have a pan for changing transmission fluid which will hold 5 gallons of fluid and is very low profile. Worked great. I did have to purchase a set of strap wrenches from Oreilly's. They have come in real handy for a number of uses.

ernest917 06-29-2013 09:32 PM

Will a five gallon bucket hold all the old oil???? That's good for 20 guarts... Don't they hold 30 or more guarts??


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.