Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Rockwood (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f34/)
-   -   Reese Revolution pin box, stiff?? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f34/reese-revolution-pin-box-stiff-42991.html)

cachencouple 07-01-2013 11:34 AM

Reese Revolution pin box, stiff??

Well I finally 'activated' the Reese Revolution on our 8280WS and I must say, so far, I really like it. It's allowed us to get into (and out of) and lot of tight places. I do, however, have a couple of questions.

The one thing I don't like about it is that I have to get the truck lined up really well in order to hook up. If I don't the thing will just plain not couple so I have to try again. One thing I thought I could do to help this would be to rotate the pin box to align it with the hitch before I backed up. The problem with this idea is that the thing is so darn stiff I can't move it! When the truck is connected it can move it with no problem, but then I guess it has a bit more power than I... ;)

So the question is... is this 'stiffness' normal or is there something wrong? If it is normal, can I expect it to get looser over time?

Thanks in advance,
Gord

bakken 07-01-2013 12:05 PM

If it wasn't stiff, that would mean there is slop in the pinbox, and that wouldn't be a good thing.

Warrior 07-01-2013 12:46 PM

I have the same difficulties connecting, if the truck and rig are not lined up...grrrr. As far as stiffness, more often than not I can't physically move the pin box, occasionally I am able to move it though. I contacted Cequent Towing Products the distributor regarding this issue and they assured me this was normal. As far as eventually getting looser over time...I have close to 5,000 miles on mine and no sign of loosening,

ependydad 07-01-2013 01:13 PM

I was about to say what Wayne or June (Warrior) said - someone posted a thread recently about this and was assured by the manufacturer it is normal to not be able to turn the pin box by hand.

acacia580 07-01-2013 03:23 PM

Last winter I was at the RV show in Tampa and they had one on display. Yes you guessed it. You could move it with your finger.

pwb01 07-01-2013 06:38 PM

I also find it extremely difficult to connect and disconnect. There's no room for error at all . Also the other thread said that if you can move the pinbox you'll have to have it corrected. I disconnected yesterday and got that alignment bar so locked up I thought I'd never pull away because I was just a few degrees from straight. I know the next hookup will be a challenge but less so I I could only straighten the pin box. My neighbor and I both pushed and the landing gear slid. Wouldn't have thought it.

Jjsav 07-01-2013 08:04 PM

I found that I can move it right after I disconnect (does not move easy). So as soon as I disconnect, if I have to, I straighten out the pin box so it is a straight run hooking up. It makes life easier hooking up.

If I wait I can no longer move it.

MtnGuy 07-01-2013 08:09 PM

Could you make some type of cheater bar that would fit over the pin and the guide so you could move those puppies easier ??

Rugged Brown 07-01-2013 08:18 PM

I've been using the RR for 3 years and have never experienced any difficulty hooking up. It is rarely lined up perfectly but hooks up just fine. I cannot moved the pin by hand.

rockport 07-01-2013 08:23 PM

I can move mine from side to side quite easily , so I am going to call tech support tommorrow in case mine needs to be tightened down.