Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Solera (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f191/)
-   -   Solera not charging on engine (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f191/solera-not-charging-on-engine-46911.html)

Pedrodasdas 08-28-2013 06:34 PM

Solera not charging on engine

1 Attachment(s)
I am slowly getting my charging problem solved,,,,,,almost !

Got my new converter 55 amp so now, it's charging on 110 volts.

It's still not charging on alternator.

Point A: 14,21 volts from engine running
point B: 9,8 volts from coach batteries,
Point C; 0 Volts but if I trigger with a current, it will then show chassis battery current
Ignition: Shows 0,11 volts !?!?!?

Is the problem the relay or the BIRD ?

Pedrodasdas 08-29-2013 10:31 PM

Hum, I supposed I will have to ask somewhere else :crying:

Just to add, the relay is now very hot, normal or not ?

DebbieMH 08-30-2013 06:50 AM

Sorry, like I've posted before - I'm lucky to change a lightbulb - so I'm no help. Hopefully someone in the know can help.

Loefflerh 08-30-2013 08:58 AM

It sounds like my Problem when I got the coach - read my post "Battery Isolator-!2V from Ignition" maybe you got the same problem! Initially I thought too the BIRD is defective, it was the orange cable coming from the steps to the control panel supplying voltage from the ignition!
BTW can you move the slide and electric awning when the engine is running??

DebbieMH 08-30-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loefflerh (Post 456022)
BTW can you move the slide and electric awning when the engine is running??

No, no one can move either when the engine is running ....

VinceU 08-30-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedrodasdas
Hum, I supposed I will have to ask somewhere else :crying:

Just to add, the relay is now very hot, normal or not ?

Solonoids usually heat and or vibrate when energized and the core cannot find the center. Good ones can be aligned, yours is sealed and cannot. The gas solonoid BTW can burn you on contact!

Loefflerh 08-30-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DebbieMH (Post 456027)
No, no one can move either when the engine is running ....

Debbie, my question was for troubleshooting....I know you should not be able to...but like it my case with the orange cable ripped off the safety feature was disabled!
Hans

Pedrodasdas 08-30-2013 11:33 AM

DebbieMH: Thank you for the moral support, I need it !

VinceU: OK, I will keep my fingers and my nose away.

Loefflerh: Just went to Forest (that's my Solera's nickname, Roll Forrest Roll) Yes, with the engine runnig , the slide and awning works :eek:

I know there is a problem with the orange wire and a posted the problem last year cause my electric step would not retract and did not get an answer.

I will read your post but if you have the solution, please let me know !

Pedrodasdas 08-30-2013 11:49 AM

Loefflerh: Just read your post, very easy to understand for a Frenchie like me, thanks.
I will go dig in the foam and see if I can find a broken wire because,the steps were working fine when I bought Forest.

Now, can somebody confirm or infirm I should get 12 volts on that orange wire in the battery manager section (look at the low right corner on the picture on the first post), it's the orange wire market ignition.

Loefflerh 08-30-2013 11:51 AM

I am sure you have the same problem I had ....read my post. you have to crawl underneath the coach next to the steps (forward of them) and start digging the foam away till you find that orange cable there. Once you find it and reconnect it everything is working fine and the slide out will not work with the engine running!
Steps were working fine on mine too when I had that problem....and yes you should have 12V on that orange wire with the engine running (just to turn on the ignition is not enough)
Hans