Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Modifications and Updates (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f68/)
-   -   Help Replacing Compartment Locks (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f68/help-replacing-compartment-locks-47766.html)

Tent2TT 09-13-2013 06:56 AM

Help Replacing Compartment Locks

My outside compartment storage use the basic locks. I say basic because the doors do not stay closed unless you turn the key and lock them. When camping I find myself needing to access these compartments regularly, probably because I am a newbie and it takes several hours before camp is all setup and ready to enjoy (lol).

I would like to swap out these basic locks and use a push compartment lock style. Would this style of lock keep the compartment door closed by just pushing the door closed and not having to lock it with a key, but lockable when needed? Do these push locks require a separate latch strike plate that needs to be installed, and if so would it be fairly easy to do? Would I possible have to drill the existing cutout to a larger diameter?

youroo 09-13-2013 07:03 AM

This Mod has been done by some Members on here. Do a search uder Mods. I know some had detailed Pics. Youroo!!

iluvlcy 09-13-2013 10:52 AM

We replaced all our locks with combi locks, and have been very happy with them, no keys!

KMP44 09-13-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tent2TT (Post 464311)
My outside compartment storage use the basic locks. I say basic because the doors do not stay closed unless you turn the key and lock them. When camping I find myself needing to access these compartments regularly, probably because I am a newbie and it takes several hours before camp is all setup and ready to enjoy (lol).

I would like to swap out these basic locks and use a push compartment lock style. Would this style of lock keep the compartment door closed by just pushing the door closed and not having to lock it with a key, but lockable when needed? Do these push locks require a separate latch strike plate that needs to be installed, and if so would it be fairly easy to do? Would I possible have to drill the existing cutout to a larger diameter?

Check out this latch. JR Products

We bought a couple other items from JR products and their quality seems to be better than most. They don't win any low price awards, but you can't usually get both... On my "someday" list I do want to change the locks as well. Key is a pain every time you want to open them, but I still want to be able to lock them for travel / storage. I like the way these are setup better than the combination locks but I need to try one and see how it works. These only come in one size (or depth) so your doors would need to able to use the 7/8" latch grip distance.

wickedwyrm 09-14-2013 10:05 PM

Try the combicam locks. They are a three digit combination lock. That you can latch without locking. They are only like $12 on amazon

1A Camper 09-14-2013 10:28 PM

Here another thread that has some.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...cks-41517.html

jlwardn 09-17-2013 08:45 PM

I just replaced all my locks with the Keyed thumb locks...........AWESOME
I now only have to lock them when I really feel the need.....99% of the time they will be unlocked and ready to use without hunting for the keys. I special ordered all of them for the same key. Now I only need 2 keys....One for the front door and one for all of the outdoor storage/shower compartments.

Tent2TT 09-25-2013 09:13 AM

I am looking at purchasing Locking Thumb Turn Cam Locks at Grainger, they are local to me and I would not have to pay shipping.

To those that have already ordered and received their locks, did they come packaged with a straight cam and an offset cam?

Thanks for reply

jlwardn 09-25-2013 09:19 AM

They do come with both the straight and offset flipper. If you order from Grainger or Zoro....you will get different keys. The main reason for this mod was to eliminate the need for 4 different keys and using them every time. I have spent many hours looking for someone to sell matching keys.....thanks to this thread.......I finally have them.

HalGumbert 11-27-2013 05:20 PM

I just bought these combo locks that feel very nice for our 2008 Forest River Salem LE BHSS: Combi-Cam 7850R-M-Black Medium 7/8" Combination Cabinet Lock : Amazon.com : Automotive