Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Roo | Shamrock (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f46/)
-   -   Ants Grrrrrr!!!! (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f46/ants-grrrrrr-47956.html)

Stormrider151 09-16-2013 01:51 PM

Ants Grrrrrr!!!!

This AM I washed my camper in anticipation of an upcoming trip. After a while I went outside to find my nice clean camper with a zillion ants crawling all over it. I never had this problem before. We never store food in the camper and it's completely cleaned after every trip. I opened it up and searched everywhere for what they are after but can't find so much as a crumb. I didn't see any inside so perhaps they are looking for water. Any ideas on how to keep ants out of a camper?

chiefly1 09-16-2013 02:16 PM

To keep ants out you can use Comet or diatomatious earth around the points that touch the ground, and Vaseline on the cables works as well. To get rid of them you can bomb them but that keeps you out of your rig for hours and sets off all of your alarms! We carry a can of bug spray just in case... but use vinegar on the counter tops and ant traps as needed. Good luck!

dalford 09-16-2013 02:25 PM

I use this bait.

Terro*Liquid Ant Baits | Walgreens

You can get it at Walgreens plus many other stores. I bought mine at Lowes.

Put it where you see them, they will swarm to it and take back to the colony. Works great. Be careful, as it is a liquid and will spill out if you turn up on its end.

I picked up a lot of ants in a campground and used this to get rid of them quickly. I usually just leave it where I found the ant problem and throw away after about a month.

I have also used these in my home. Keep away from your pets.

A lot of ants are after water... Good luck

Stormrider151 09-16-2013 04:49 PM

All great solutions. Thanks. After a record wet summer now Georgia is dry as a bone. I think they were after the water from washing the rig. But going to follow your suggestions just to be sure. Thanks again.

coryhynes 04-27-2014 11:04 PM

I to had many ants. I put ant traps all over and also I heard fabric softener sheets work. I placed them under every drawer and in every cabinet

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forest River Forums mobile app

SKnight 04-28-2014 05:24 AM

I carry some ant spray with me and spray a border around all points that contact the ground, they won't cross it.

Red Wolf 04-28-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefly1 (Post 466117)
and Vaseline on the cables works as well.

Unless they are Texas ants, who find a way to get around your Vaseline.

We were camped at Meridian State Park (now referred to as Meridi-ant SP) and had a lot of ants climbing up the stabilizer legs of the pop up. We didn't have any ant spray, so I put a layer of grease on the legs.

The little so-and-so's built bridges of sand/tiny pebbles across my greasy barriers and just came on in anyway. HMPH.

duncmelsmom 04-28-2014 05:14 PM

I've heard that Borax works. Can anyone confirm? It seems like a cheap fix. "Just circle the camper," is all I've heard to do.

jwedell 04-28-2014 05:20 PM

I use Terro. It is an ant bait. The stuff is amazing. It has borax with a liquid sweetener.

doodler 04-28-2014 06:14 PM

I sprinkle cinnamon around all ground contact points.