Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Tires & Frames (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f219/)
-   -   How many brakes? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f219/how-many-brakes-49190.html)

Iwannacamp 10-10-2013 09:20 PM

How many brakes?

1 Attachment(s)
Ok. Confession... Yes I am a practicing Catholic.

I was climbing around under my trailer. 2011 295KBH Puma and discovered it has brakes on both axles. Is this normal? The brakes are pretty "touchy" even with the gain backed all off. Any suggestions? Disconnect one? I have a factory(I think) controller and I think it's a timed unit. See picture. Replace the controller?

Attachment 40909

iceblaze580 10-10-2013 09:58 PM

Brakes on both axels is the norm

OldCoot 10-10-2013 09:59 PM

DO NOT DISCONNECT ANY BRAKES. Adjust the power and the gain. You will have to decrease the power and increase the gain until you hit a happy medium. When you get it right, when you touch the brake pedal, you should feel a very slight tug from the trailer and when you continue pressing the brake, the trailer will help stop the whole rig.

Iwannacamp 10-10-2013 10:41 PM

Thank you sirs... I will disconnect nothing. K promise. I will order a controller when my ship comes in...I never have liked this one... Maybe I don't know how to adjust. I will type it in.
Thanks again for the info.

iceblaze580 10-10-2013 10:50 PM

It may be better to get an easier to use brake controller

Iwannacamp 10-10-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceblaze580 (Post 478960)
It may be better to get an easier to use brake controller

I agree

bikendan 10-11-2013 01:23 AM

one word: Prodigy

OldCoot 10-11-2013 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iwannacamp (Post 478959)
Thank you sirs... I will disconnect nothing. K promise. I will order a controller when my ship comes in...I never have liked this one... Maybe I don't know how to adjust. I will type it in.
Thanks again for the info.

I would definitely play with the one already installed as opposed to buying another one and having to go thru the same ordeal. I don't see as you would gain anything other than a lighter hip pocket.

raspivey 10-11-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iwannacamp (Post 478925)
I have a factory(I think) controller and I think it's a timed unit. See picture. Replace the controller?

The only Hayes Synchronizer controller I could find without a model number is time controlled...yours may not be. If it is, I'd ditch it and get a proportional controller, but that's just my preference. It feels to me like they offer more control and fine tuning.

Iwannacamp 10-11-2013 07:36 AM

Thank you again for the input. I will play with it a little more and plan to get another as I can. You can tell when you apply the brakes there is a slight delay then the brakes get stronger. I guess it works, but there are some other issues I am partially blaming on the controller... So I have been thinking about it already.