Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Exterior Maintenance | Roofs, Sealing, Covers & Vents (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f227/)
-   -   Roof Cleaning (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f227/roof-cleaning-49475.html)

billcoll 10-16-2013 12:44 PM

Roof Cleaning

I have a 07 Lexington 300SS. It has a textured roof and when I bought it last winter, the roof was bright and white and now it pretty grungy. I have tried car wash liquid alone and car wash liquid mixed with Borax and lot of elbow grease, but it still doesn't come clean. Does anyone have any more successful ideas to get my roof back to bright white? Thanks.

KMP44 10-16-2013 01:16 PM

I used Simple Green mixed with water. I think Fantastick may have also been mentioned in the owner's manual. With a somewhat firm scrub brush and working in sections, about 90% of the dirt came off pretty easy. After putting the solution on small section, I would scrub it down and then rinse. Not factory new, but pretty close...

jthomp58 10-16-2013 02:00 PM

Camping World carries rubber roof cleaner (Thetford) that will return it to that pristine white again. My husband has been using this product for a few years now and it does the job well.

force 10-16-2013 02:37 PM

I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions, but last time I used a 10% mix of Purple Power (equiv. to Simple Green) and water, and a garden sprayer to soak the entire roof.

While I let that sit for 5-10 mins, I mixed car wash and another 10% Purple Power in a bucket. I dip my soft wash brush into that and then scrub the roof (like this brush here). I then hose the entire thing off. The results were pretty good.

A friend of mine has since suggested adding a 10% bleach solution to the initial soaking of PP, so I'm going to try that when I wash and winterize it sometime in the next couple weeks.

force 10-17-2013 06:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok so a couple weeks turned into today. Sprayed the roof with solution of 10% bleach, 30% PurplePower, 60% water. Soaked it 10 mins. Dumped remaining mix into bucket, a shot of car wash, and a bunch more water.

Washed the dirtier spots and edges near A/C etc with a tire brush similar to this one, then went over the entire roof with this brush. Rinsed entire roof down then washed rest of the camper.

Before & After:

Chrisbrock 10-17-2013 06:55 PM

Not bad :)

My roof is pretty dirty also. Adding this to the list of things to do... lol

Flying dutchman 10-18-2013 06:58 AM

Amazing result! Good job!

cpaulsen 10-19-2013 03:16 AM

Just did mine yesterday. Used Spic and Span with a shot of Dawn dish washing liquid. Used a good brush....scrubed....and hosed it off. Went from gray to white.

sail2liv 10-19-2013 03:49 AM

I use what the dealer uses when they do a roof.....it is a one step clean and protect recommended to be done twice a year.....I would be careful with home mixtures as it may void the warranty if there is any....the dirty look is usually mildew and a protectant of a uv nature is required on roof.....good luck I hope mine will last the 12 years the warranty is for.....but there again....it can be pro rated....keep receipts and records of treatment purchased .....

RoadTrip 10-21-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by force (Post 482551)
Ok so a couple weeks turned into today. Sprayed the roof with solution of 10% bleach, 30% PurplePower, 60% water. Soaked it 10 mins. Dumped remaining mix into bucket, a shot of car wash, and a bunch more water.

Washed the dirtier spots and edges near A/C etc with a tire brush similar to this one, then went over the entire roof with this brush. Rinsed entire roof down then washed rest of the camper.

Before & After:

thanks for the link from the other thread. Looks amazing. Going to get up there this week and clean mine!