Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Modifications and Updates (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f68/)
-   -   Anyone ever build a camper? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f68/anyone-ever-build-a-camper-50490.html)

ependydad 11-04-2013 01:52 PM

Anyone ever build a camper?

Many moons ago, I got the idea that I was going to build a kayak for my daughter. I didn't like most of the manufactured options and the ones that I did like were prohibitively expensive. So, I found an online guide (Yostwerks Kayak Building Manuals - Homebuilt kayaks by Thomas Yost), bought some tools, and built a boat out of wood with a cloth covering for her:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2580/3...4f6983f1_m.jpg

I enjoyed it so much and wanted a true sea kayak for myself. Cheapness won and I built a second boat for myself. The second build was fraught with challenges and mistakes, but it was fun none the less.

After that, the garage turned itself back into a garage and stopped being a workshop.

Lately, I've got the hankering that I want to build something again and, of course, I'm thinking of a small camper of some sort...

Has anyone done this? Thoughts? Opinions? Witty commentary?

ryand 11-04-2013 02:00 PM

You might like this video....

Homemade Fifth Wheel RV Camper - YouTube

I have heard of building a tear drop but this is another level. In retrospect....its exactly how ours are built you just never think of it as a DIY project.

ependydad 11-04-2013 02:08 PM

Yeah, I've seen that Chad's Project video. Heck of an impressive undertaking- especially to pull it off so elegantly.

KMP44 11-04-2013 02:25 PM

Not sure I would want to tackle a complete build, but I have taken my son to a couple of Tin Can Tourist rallies. I think finding an old canned ham, Airstream or other vintage trailer for a restoration project would be a great project. We have seen some amazing restoration work at the rallies.

Or maybe instead of a true-to-the-original restoration, a resto-mod to steal the concept from the car guys. Keep the vintage exterior and put all the modern amenities inside. With a solid trailer to start with there should be minimal frame and structural work which simplifies things. Still a big project though.

OldCoot 11-04-2013 03:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ependydad (Post 493017)
...Has anyone done this? Thoughts? Opinions? Witty commentary?

Didn't build a trailer, but did build a slide in for an El Camino in 1986 which is still being used.
Forest River Forums - OldCoot's Album: Homemade pop up for an 81 El Camino

ependydad 11-04-2013 03:34 PM

Pretty neat, OC. I know you mentioned it before, but didn't think of it now.

Looks like most of what I'm finding online are either folks building Tear Drop or mini-"bugout caravans" (as people seem to call them).

I guess I gotta figure out what I want first.

Cowracer 11-08-2013 02:23 PM

Grab a cup of coffee, and enjoy...

The Wayzalot Exterior Photos Album

Tim

wantahertzdonut 11-16-2013 07:21 PM

I haven't done it, but I'm thinking very seriously about building my next toy hauler out of a 5th wheel utility trailer. I'll need to settle down and find work again before I start, of course.

Since most of the trailers on the market are made out of little more than paper and wishes only to disintegrate and fail, I think I can do much better.

OldCoot 11-16-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wantahertzdonut (Post 499408)
I haven't done it, but I'm thinking very seriously about building my next toy hauler out of a 5th wheel utility trailer. I'll need to settle down and find work again before I start, of course.

Since most of the trailers on the market are made out of little more than paper and wishes only to disintegrate and fail, I think I can do much better.

From personal experience figure a high cost and then double it. Ask me how I know. :roflblack:

onetonford 11-16-2013 08:55 PM

I was thinking about it found plans from Glenn-L and bought plans for their ponderosa fifth wheel just never had the time with work and all still have the plans but at my age I think it might be impossible now oh well!