Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Plumbing and Water Systems & Fixtures (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f217/)
-   -   Anode rod socket size? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f217/anode-rod-socket-size-50755.html)

dcheatwood 11-11-2013 09:00 AM

Anode rod socket size?

Atwood 6 gallon water heater. Is the anode rod nut head 1 1/4"? I have to buy something to fit it and don't want to make multiple trips to town. Tried all my lug wrenchs but all are too small. Closest I can measure looks 1 1/4".

wmtire 11-11-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcheatwood (Post 496503)
Atwood 6 gallon water heater. Is the anode rod nut head 1 1/4"?

EDIT after rereading your post:

Atwoods don't normally have anodes, just drain plugs and a lot of them are plastic. Are sure it's not a Suburban, which has a metal anode rod?

If so, Suburban water heaters use An inch and 1/16th (1 and 1/16th). You also want to get a 6 point socket so you don't round off the head in case you have to bow up on it a little.

OldCoot 11-11-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcheatwood (Post 496503)
Atwood 6 gallon water heater. Is the anode rod nut head 1 1/4"? I have to buy something to fit it and don't want to make multiple trips to town. Tried all my lug wrenchs but all are too small. Closest I can measure looks 1 1/4".

Don't forget an extension, either 3" or 6".

dcheatwood 11-11-2013 09:12 AM

Thanks. Gone to tractor supply. Yes oldcoot, I have an extension. Little use without the socket! Lol. Went to get a 2 1/4" socket to torque the revolution pin box but that sucker was $25.00. I'll just have dealer check it each time I'm in for service.

OldCoot 11-11-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcheatwood (Post 496508)
Thanks. Gone to tractor supply. Yes oldcoot, I have an extension. Little use without the socket! Lol. Went to get a 2 1/4" socket to torque the revolution pin box but that sucker was $25.00. I'll just have dealer check it each time I'm in for service.

I made my 2-1/4" socket for the Revolution using an old 1/2" drive socket.

dcheatwood 11-11-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmtire (Post 496504)

EDIT after rereading your post:

Atwoods don't normally have anodes, just drain plugs and a lot of them are plastic. Are sure it's not a Suburban, which has a metal anode rod?

If so, Suburban water heaters use An inch and 1/16th (1 and 1/16th). You also want to get a 6 point socket so you don't round off the head in case you have to bow up on it a little.

Duh! Yes. It is suburban. Thanks again.

lswartz 11-11-2013 09:39 AM

I found my water heater socket at sears for a lot less than TSC. You might try them for that 2-1/4" socket as well.

dcheatwood 11-11-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lswartz (Post 496515)
I found my water heater socket at sears for a lot less than TSC. You might try them for that 2-1/4" socket as well.

I just looked again. Its $16.99 at TS. The $25.00 was for a set of impact sockets. On wrong rack. I'll check sears but probably will just get dealer to check torque.

Hawksclaw 11-11-2013 09:53 AM

Torque on Sidewinder Nut

I liked my dealer as far as sales go but after watching the fiasco with the service people trying to figure out how to make the sidewinder hitch work I don't know if I would trust them to check the torque. LOL. It took four of them 1.5 hours to figure out how the wedge works and get it hitched up. I bought me a torque wrench at Lowes the other day to check wheel nut torque.

dcheatwood 11-11-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawksclaw (Post 496519)
I liked my dealer as far as sales go but after watching the fiasco with the service people trying to figure out how to make the sidewinder hitch work I don't know if I would trust them to check the torque. LOL. It took four of them 1.5 hours to figure out how the wedge works and get it hitched up. I bought me a torque wrench at Lowes the other day to check wheel nut torque.

I just bought a 1/2" torque wrench from Harbor Freight a few weeks ago, on sale for $12.?? from $39.00, to torque lug nuts and revolution. Have no use for it other than that, and lugs had loosened somewhat after 4700 mile trip in sept.