Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Wildcat (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f29/)
-   -   To slide or not to slide (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f29/to-slide-or-not-to-slide-51330.html)

Rubiconrod 11-24-2013 03:21 PM

To slide or not to slide

My wife and I are seriously considering upgrading our TT to the 281RKX fifth wheel. My question is if I need a slider hitch with this trailer. I have a 2013 F250 with the 6'9" bed. The dealer said I might need a slide 5% of the time. Others with the same truck say probably not with that style fiver. Looking for more opinions.

Thanks!
Rodney

BamaBob 11-24-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubiconrod (Post 503058)
My wife and I are seriously considering upgrading our TT to the 281RKX fifth wheel. My question is if I need a slider hitch with this trailer. I have a 2013 F250 with the 6'9" bed. The dealer said I might need a slide 5% of the time. Others with the same truck say probably not with that style fiver. Looking for more opinions.

Thanks!
Rodney

Hi Rodney,

Honestly, I cannot think of any time you would need to jackknife your 5'er - unless it was a really severe back in spot - even then, I would think a little forward-backward movement would do it for you.

We have a 6 1/2" box as well and the dealer just installed a Reese Revolution in our unit out of hand because it was not a 8' bed.

After futzing around with the damn revolution hitch, my wife said the HECK with it! Put it in normal mode and we will just take care when we approach 80 or more.

Why? Those darn revolution hitched are a B*T*H to hitch! you have to be exactly - exactly - spot on straight! You cannot hitch at even a 5 angle! This translates to a 15+ min agonizing 'back and forward getting the truck JUST right so it will hitch' exercise. No Thanks!

With the Reese in "normal" mode, we just back the darn truck up, CLICK goes the collar, forward to test and we are hitched! DW is the backer and we do it as a team in @ 3 min.

IMHO, go with a standard hitch, the sliders are not worth the hassle!

67redbowtie 11-24-2013 05:04 PM

Go with the B&W Companion. I have this set up on a truck with a 6.5ft. Bed and a 2013 Wildcat.

RKR 11-24-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67redbowtie (Post 503103)
Go with the B&W Companion. I have this set up on a truck with a 6.5ft. Bed and a 2013 Wildcat.

X2 here.
I have 3/4 ton short bed. I got the heaviest B&W they make with the slider. The slider is not a hassle it moves freely when needed and slides by just pulling a lever.
It's a little more but so was the getting the heavier B&W but if I get a 1 ton later, which I plan to , I'm already set up.
The Companion completely comes out if the bed with no rails left in my bed . I can pull it all out in about 20 min.

OldCoot 11-24-2013 05:23 PM

HSVBamaBob, don't understand the problem with the Revolution, I've had it since Feb12 and have no problem whatsoever hitching and I have half of a hard tonneau cover on when hitching. Never have a problem hitching at a slight angle either, the hitch just rotates and click, it's hitched. I like it as it allows me to cover the entire bed while towing.

jevanb 11-24-2013 05:25 PM

their have been times that I almost had to turn 80-90 degrees because some idiot did not give me room to turn in during a fuel stop, since I have a rounded cap I prob do need not a slider, but it sure comes in handy. their are times you will need the slider hitch pulling forward not just backing in to a camping spot. and I did not want to have to stop the truck on a busy road just to turn in so the superglide was my choice

RKR 11-24-2013 05:25 PM

Having a slider is sort of like having 4x4. You typically don't use it much but it's nice to have when you need it.

BamaBob 11-24-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldCoot (Post 503111)
HSVBamaBob, don't understand the problem with the Revolution, I've had it since Feb12 and have no problem whatsoever hitching and I have half of a hard tonneau cover on when hitching. Never have a problem hitching at a slight angle either, the hitch just rotates and click, it's hitched. I like it as it allows me to cover the entire bed while towing.

Hmmmmm OC, you have me wondering if my RV dealer just didn't know what they were doing when they installed the Reese revolution . They are good people, but I'm hundred miles from them (yes the customer service is that good!) – still, I'll drop them an email tomorrow and let them know about your comments and see if they want to take another stab at installing the revolution -- thanks for the info buddy!

RKR 11-25-2013 08:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Before and after pic of the B&W Companion slider . Just took it out this morning. Time to go hunting and get some meat.

Attachment 43073

Attachment 43074

DutchF 11-25-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67redbowtie (Post 503103)

Same set up here, though we do have a long bed (8'). Trouble free, easy to use and removes or installs completely in a few minutes.