Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical, Charging Systems & Solar (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f218/)
-   -   Converter Fan cycles every 30 seconds (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f218/converter-fan-cycles-every-30-seconds-51639.html)

tarfele 12-03-2013 07:25 AM

Converter Fan cycles every 30 seconds

Since I brought home my Work and Play I have heard the converter fan come on every 30 seconds. It starts off by a slight hissing noise then both cooling fans come on for about 2 seconds and they shut off. You can almost set you watch by it. This is with no load except for maybe a light.

I did some searching on here and found that some people are pointing towards a battery issue but nothing that fits my problem exactly.

Any electronic folks have ideas??

TURBS 12-03-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarfele (Post 506877)
Since I brought home my Work and Play I have heard the converter fan come on every 30 seconds. It starts off by a slight hissing noise then both cooling fans come on for about 2 seconds and they shut off. You can almost set you watch by it. This is with no load except for maybe a light.

I did some searching on here and found that some people are pointing towards a battery issue but nothing that fits my problem exactly.

Any electronic folks have ideas??

I'd suggest putting a volt/ohm meter on your battery and watch the voltage rise and fall. "Post results"
Fans kick on when the converter is charging at a high rate.
Just because your battery is new does not mean that it does not have an issue.

If you don't have a volt ohm meter, now is a good time to buy one to keep in the camper.

Not saying that the converter doesn't have an issue but its possible as well.

One thing you can do "after" you test battery voltage to see what the converter is putting out is to unhook battery cables and see if converter still does its current symptoms.

Turbs

Dave_Monica 12-03-2013 09:13 AM

It'd be interesting to know if the converter's cooling fans are activated through a temperature sensor or if they just automatically turn on if the converter is in any mode other than the lowest...float mode.

Anyways a 30 sec cycle of 2 sec duration isn't right. Excellent suggestion from 'Turbs' to troubleshoot the issue.

Dave

tarfele 12-03-2013 06:35 PM

I unhooked the battery and it continued to do the same thing.

TURBS 12-03-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarfele (Post 507098)

Did you take voltage readings?

tarfele 12-03-2013 06:56 PM

Not yet, no volt meter. Will pick one up tomorrow

VinceU 12-03-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarfele

Like Dave, sounds like a thermal switch is bad inside. With a inexpensive converter, there is no provision for current flow, they rely on temp rise for cooling. Suggest live with it or contact Mfg for user parts inside. Biggest risk is fan may not run when needed.

TURBS 12-03-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarfele (Post 507105)
Not yet, no volt meter. Will pick one up tomorrow

That will tell a better tale.

Let us know what you find.

Btw a volt/ohm meter is a must in a camper.

Turbs

rattleNsmoke 12-03-2013 07:58 PM

Chances are good it's a WFCO and better chance it's fried.

Adony 12-03-2013 10:09 PM

Fans did same thing...

Had the same symptoms (fans cycling on / off) and was at a loss for what was happening. When setting up the trailer, I unknowingly pulled the emergency brake switch cable, thus the 12v electric brakes on all 4 wheels were constantly activated.. the converter / batteries were always trying to keep the power to them... once the pulled cable was discovered 4 days later and reset, the problem went away... Just an idea...