Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Tow Vehicles, Hitches & Toads (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Trailer Hitch on the Trailer (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/trailer-hitch-on-the-trailer-52231.html)

Moose509 12-20-2013 07:35 PM

Trailer Hitch on the Trailer

Have a 2011 Forest Rive Palimino Sabre - is there a hitch out there somewhere to go on my TT or is it a specialty fit. Can my TT be fitted to pull my boat behind, Bass Tracker Pro Team 175TWX.

bikendan 12-20-2013 07:50 PM

a lot depends on if the frame is an ultralight frame or not.
plus, is double towing legal in your state or the states you plan to travel to?

and you should contact your dealer or the Palomino rep to find out if it will void the warranty or not.

Moose509 12-21-2013 08:14 PM

bikendan
Thanks! We are allowed towing of boats behind TT in this state. Will contact Palimino rep to see what knowledge he can enlighten me with.

Lloydg 12-21-2013 09:04 PM

What state are you in bikendad? In Michigan you can pull a boat behind a 5er but not a TT. I "think" the overall length is limited to 62' but not sure about it.

Moose509 12-21-2013 09:14 PM

LLoydg
The Palimino Sabre is a 5er not a TT. Over all length in my state is 65 ft.

nakerr 12-22-2013 09:28 AM

Here you can double-tow but the hitch on the trailer always seems to be custom-built. The hitch has to be welded to the frame and not just bolted to the bumper.

Cheers,

Norm

Oaklevel 12-22-2013 10:25 AM

Check carefully your state laws as it is not legal in most of the states touching the Atlantic Ocean including Georgia according to the Webs sites that I have checked.

A hitch would probably need to be custom made. Good Luck

Moose509 12-22-2013 05:53 PM

Norm
Thanks - The 5er hitches that I have seen are brand names Reese, etc. but have to be custom fitted by someone who qualified. I would not attemp to mount one myself, probably fall off when I hooked up the boat.

fiddler63 12-24-2013 12:20 PM

I have a 2012 Coachmen Chapaaral 280RLS fifth wheel.
I really need to add a cargo carrying rack to the back to carry a small generator (about 80 lbs) and a couple of bikes. I'd also like to get the spare off that 4" tube as well, because it's not the best place for it to be.
I've read in this forum that Forest River has stated that a hitch receiver should not be installed on an Ultralite frame. I think this model 280RLS is a lite model, not an Ultralite. The twin I-beams under the coach certainly seem robust enough to accept a hitch.
So my questions are
1. Is this an ultra lilte or a lite model fifth wheel frame?
2. Is it possible to have a hitch fabricated and welded/drilled/bolted to accept a cargo carrier?
Thanks is advance

mjones12 12-24-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddler63 (Post 515504)
I have a 2012 Coachmen Chapaaral 280RLS fifth wheel.
I really need to add a cargo carrying rack to the back to carry a small generator (about 80 lbs) and a couple of bikes. I'd also like to get the spare off that 4" tube as well, because it's not the best place for it to be.
I've read in this forum that Forest River has stated that a hitch receiver should not be installed on an Ultralite frame. I think this model 280RLS is a lite model, not an Ultralite. The twin I-beams under the coach certainly seem robust enough to accept a hitch.
So my questions are
1. Is this an ultra lilte or a lite model fifth wheel frame?
2. Is it possible to have a hitch fabricated and welded/drilled/bolted to accept a cargo carrier?
Thanks is advance

Once you determine whether your frame will support it, you might consider the fold-down bike rack that the Surveyor line uses. It's a big rack that folds down, along with the spare tire, and can hold 250 pounds. Also has a "toy lock" to secure a generator and bikes from theft.

I'm sure there are some photos of it on here somewhere. My tt is on a relatively light-weight frame (don't know if it's light or ultar-light) and came from the factory with the rack welded on.